CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   cooked cell phone (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/369386-cooked-cell-phone.html)

spacewoman November 11th, 2009 09:37 AM

cooked cell phone
 
this may just be sheer coincidence but my phone cooked itself on the Miracle. I plugged it into the correct outlet by the way. My husband's phone acted weird when I plugged his into same outlet and I did not use outlet thereafter. When we got home took to verizon store where they simply told me the phone was a goner and it was simply draining the battery to nothing when I tried to charge it.

Just wondering if anyone ever had this issue

oklahoma doug November 12th, 2009 07:11 AM

I have plugged in many cell phones on many ships and have not had any problems..

Luanne Russo November 16th, 2009 03:47 PM

I have also not had a problem. I wonder if it was just a defective outlet.

So sorry about your phone.


Luanne

katlady November 16th, 2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacewoman (Post 1258171)
this may just be sheer coincidence but my phone cooked itself on the Miracle. I plugged it into the correct outlet by the way. My husband's phone acted weird when I plugged his into same outlet and I did not use outlet thereafter. When we got home took to verizon store where they simply told me the phone was a goner and it was simply draining the battery to nothing when I tried to charge it.

Just wondering if anyone ever had this issue

I think what happened is your cell phone was roaming the whole time you were at sea and that drained the battery to nothing. Once the battery was completely drained the phone was toast. I always turn off my phone while on ship and only turn it on it the ports. When a cell phone roams it wears down the battery fast. I could be wrong, I have never had a problem with the outlets on board ship.

Mike M November 16th, 2009 05:11 PM

Did you plug the charger directly into the outlet or did you use a power strip with surge protector or power conditioner? I always use a power strip. Ship's power, while reliable, is not stable (clean) and there is a possibility that there was a power surge that fried the phone.

A power surge, malfunctioning charger or change in polarity of the plug would explain why the phone and the battery were fried.

It could have also just fried on its own.

Draining a cell phone's battery (Nickle or Lithium) isn't a bad thing and should not cause the battery to fail. It should accept a charge even when fully discharged. The "battery memory" theory: "If you continue charging a battery without completely discharging it then it will cause the battery to "think" it's discharged even when it isn't." This theory hasn't held up in testing. Nickle batteries just don't last as long and get to a point that they won't take a charge.
One thing that will cause your Nickle battery to discharge faster is using a car charger. These are quick chargers and while they charge the battery they also cause the battery to discharge faster. Don't use your car charger for regular charging.

Lithium batteries have less problems.


Take care,
Mike (Always uses a power strip/surge protector on the ship)

spacewoman November 16th, 2009 06:54 PM

The inconsistent voltage kind of sounds like the culprit if there is one. Phone was just at it's one year anniversary. I will definitely keep the power surge protector in mind next trip. Thank you

lpfan2002 December 29th, 2009 11:27 PM

bad luck. period.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1