Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Default Wi-Fi & power outlet ? 4 Imagination

Do the ships use Boingo for wi-fi or do you get an id/pw and connect through their servers?

also, will I find power outlets for my netbook out on the tables on Lidon orn Serenity areas, and elsewhere inside the ship other than the cabin? Such as chairs, etc. on the Promenade deck?

Not sure if I should invest in a second battery.
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Michelle,

We always take our computer, but hubby is the one who does all the connecting for me.

We are always given a sign in thingy and a password. We are able to use it in our cabin, and use the plug in there so we don't run on our battery.

There are also plugs throughout the ship, so you can do the same thing.

The wifi has improved much on ships in the last couple of years. I guess you could probably find a signal just about anywhere now.

I would not invest in a second battery, because while in the room, you could recharge the one you have.

I hope this helps.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle1959 View Post
Do the ships use Boingo for wi-fi or do you get an id/pw and connect through their servers?

also, will I find power outlets for my netbook out on the tables on Lidon orn Serenity areas, and elsewhere inside the ship other than the cabin? Such as chairs, etc. on the Promenade deck?

Not sure if I should invest in a second battery.
You will log in to their server and set up an ID and password when you initially attach to their wireless network and choose the minute package you want. It's pretty self-explanatory once you attach to their wireless network and activate your browser.

Do not rely on having a power outlet nearby in all venues. If your battery doesn't last two hours I would think about having a spare. I doubt you will be online or powered up more than two hours at a time. I use my laptop a lot on cruises and have never had a problem with my battery running out. I get about 2.5 to 3 hours of battery life. Make sure you set your Power Properties to "Maximum Battery" to get as much out of it as you can. There are custom settings you can do but the default setting of "Maximum Battery" is fine.

As Luanne said, you can recharge your machine when you get back to your cabin. If you do not want leave your laptop/mini out when you are not in the cabin then recharge it overnight.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 21st, 2009, 08:48 PM
Captain

I'am taking my mini ASUS which has a 9 hour battery life...
Will do emails with my daughter in Japan so will do the messages on the notepad through the day & then send it all at once in less than a minute each day....

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M View Post
I'am taking my mini ASUS which has a 9 hour battery life...
Will do emails with my daughter in Japan so will do the messages on the notepad through the day & then send it all at once in less than a minute each day....
Bob,

I have an ASUS mini and I love the battery life. I also like the functionality of it. I have an external CD/DVD drive and it works well for loading software. It's a nice device. I will be taking it on my next cruise.

I forgot Michelle said Netbook. Michelle; you should get at least four hours of battery life out of just about any netbook.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old November 21st, 2009, 11:08 PM
Admiral

I have an Asus Eeeeee PC and it's great but there are times when I have forgotten to plug it in and the battery gets low. On the most of the ships to plug it in in a public area I bring a power converter since they need European type plugs that look like this:

Read and post cruise reviews
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Thanks evereyone3 for your input! I already have my acer aspire one netwook on Max Battery. I rarely use it without the3 power cord so I should do that perhaps today just to see hw long it goe sbefore it says "low" battery.

Also, do I really need an adapter ?

Finally I really want to know if there are power outlets outside, like near the tables on lido deck by the pool, other common use outside deck area, or in the serenity area in the stern.

Thanks!