Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:11 AM
Beginner

Thumbs down any recourse cancelled port

carnival destiny developed propulision problem and cacelled port stop i n grang turk any recourse for canceled part of trip
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Captain

Yes, Carnival's policy, see a copy of it on their site

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_85

RCL has given me nothing, so any amount of OBC pp on my S&S was still welcome.

Interesting... the policy has changed since I last read it. It used to say $20, now it doesnt state a specific amount.
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
Admiral

You will receive OBC for the missed port UNLESS it was replaced by another port.

People need to understand that cruise ships are NOT buses.

They are not a means of transporation to any particular port. If you want to definately go to that port, people need to fly there.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old November 21st, 2009, 11:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just be happy you were on vacation it could have been a lot worse.
Old November 21st, 2009, 03:19 PM
First Mate

Go to Lido Deck Pool, order a Bud Light, Watch the girls.

Old November 21st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotoJuku View Post
Go to Lido Deck Pool, order a Bud Light, Watch the girls.
Excellent Solution!!!!!!
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoneer View Post
carnival destiny developed propulision problem and cacelled port stop i n grang turk any recourse for canceled part of trip
My understanding is that they substituted Nassau for Grand Turk, am I not correct? At least you retained part of your original itinerary. The Destiny cruise that just left TOTALLY changed it's itinerary from Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman to Half Moom Cay and Nassau. If you've been to Nassau and HMC many times (as my clents have), this was a REAL disappointment. However, the cruise line does reserve the right to change it's itinerary without compensation to it's passengers (except for port charges not used). On the 11/21 sailing, they gave each passenger a $50 OBC, however, that is a small pacifier for such a drastic itinerary change.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I am so sorry the ship did not get to go where they said it would.

Luanne
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old November 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
Admiral

On one of our cruises, the stop in St. Maarten was cancelled due to an approaching hurricane. A woman seated at our table was very disappointed...she booked this particular itinerary because she was serving as Maid of Honor at her sister's wedding in St. Maarten on the day originally scheduled for our ship to dock there. Needless to say, she missed her sister's wedding.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

And then there was the case of the bride who had planned her wedding in Key West...many of her guests were on a ship that could not port that day....Needless to say, they waved as they cruise on by....

This situation happens all the time for various reasons. On our first cruise, on the Celebration, I booked that ship to see St Maarten. We had issues, and they substituted Nassau. Grand Cayman is a case in point, where because of the seas, many ships will not tender, so they just sail on by...once, because of this, we tendered from the other side of the island, and tendered in..this was a first for me, and it has never happened again...one poster said it best..IF you really want to see an island...fly there.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 23rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Admiral

I always tell people that if they "have to go" to a particular island to fly there.

But they don't. They book a cruise because it is CHEAPER than flying to a port, renting a hotel room, paying for meals, taxis...etc.

They treat the cruise ship like a bus and then get upset when there is an issue.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Admiral

On our recent cruise we deviated because of Hurricane Rick (Pacific). We went to Ensenada instead of Mazatlan. We also arrived in Puerto Vallerta a day later than scheduled. Okay Ensenada was a little ho-hum, but had we kept our original itinerary we would have been sailing in some very nasty weather and set on board the ship in a driving rain while we "enjoyed" our port day in PV. As it was we had a day of "choppy" water and a beautiful day in each port.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old November 23rd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Admiral

If the ship cannot substitute a different port for the one missed, they give you an onboard credit for the actual port charges for that port. That is why the amount can vary. It is not meant to pacify upset passengers, but merely a refund of something that they charged you for to begin with. In reality, though, I have never missed a port that was not for a very good reason. Usually a storm, hurricane or other. Or some kind of political or dangerous activity in the port. It can also be some kind of damage to the dock where the ship would, well...dock.
The cruise lines have, not just the right, but the obligation to put your safety ahead of anything else, including your wishes. And, as already stated, using a cruise just as transportation is foolish. If you have to be somewhere or are desperate to see a particular place, fly there. Would I like some money for every port I have ever missed? Oh yeah. Do I feel entitiled to it in any way? NOPE.
One last thought, it is not a simple thing to find a substitute port. Each one has a limited number of spots and there can be a lot of ships affected by something big, like a hurricane. Plus, there are issues of differing port charges, sometimes tendering problems, and the different laws in each port regarding immigration, etc. The only times I have seen substitute ports were one Mexican port for another, or one Bahamian port for another. The last, but not least factor is getting to a different port, which can depend on fuel usage, length of time in transit and probably a bunch of stuff I have no clue about.
So, follow the advice given...relax, know that you are in the hands of a captain who insists on keeping you safe, have a drink up on deck, an extra slice of pizza, whatever makes you happy.
Marty
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Passenger

Marty,
While everything you say is true, and I appreciate your comments, the reason the Destiny missed (substituted) it's port of call was because of propulsion problems, nothing to do with ship/passenger safety.

While I agree, you should never EXPECT to get to any particular port of call, I would expect the cruiseline to maintain their vessels to the capacity that they would have the ability to sail the itinerary that is advertised. Problems with the propulsion on the Destiny has been a rumored problem for awhile, and the issue should have been addressed long ago.

The fact is, Carnival did/does not want to cancel any sailings for an emergency dry dock to fix the problem. This would lose revenue for them. Is it right? From a passenger point of view, I say NO. From a stockholder point of view, I say whatever saves them money.

As a TA and stockholder, I am able to see the situation from both sides and appreciate both sides arguments. Personally, I no longer sail for the ports, so it would have been a non-issue for me.
Old November 24th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Admiral

We, too, have missed a port because of propulsion problems. But, I still think that we are applying what happens on land to cruises and that doesn't fly, so to speak. They can't just up and go to drydock the minute something goes wrong. Dry dock facilities for ships that size are booked months or even years in advance. And the ship's engineer can't just run out to Home Depot for parts, even if the problem was inside the ship.
Are the cruise lines in the business of making money? Of course they are. But, that is not necessarily the main reason that something does or does not happen.
Marty
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Admiral

I agree with Marty,
There is even more involved to pull a ship out of service. Many cruisers have planned for a long time for the cruise, have scheduled vacations that may not be able to be rescheduled and made other plans that would be difficult to "unmake". (Another good reason to buy trip insurance.) But after the initial disappointment of not being able to go to the scheduled ports, I would rather cruise than not.
A change in itinerary is particularly disappointing to first-timers but I encourage a chin up approach. We haven't cruised so much that we don't look carefully over itineraries when we do our planning. But now I take the approach that a missed port gives us another reason to book that next cruise.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Old November 25th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Admiral

To me it depends. If the propulsion problems suddenly appeared that is one thing. If the propulsion problems are reocurring because the cruiseline is to cheap the properly fix the problem it's another issue. Carnival is not the only cruiseline to have these problems. When I cruise on Infinity (Celebrity Cruiselines) reviews I read with some unhappy people who missed ports because of propulsion problems. These were back to back cruises.

However, on the other side of the coin. You have a cruise booked and the week before they have propulsion problems and call you to tell you your cruise is cancelled does that make you happy? The cruiselines are in a no win situation. If they cancel the next cruise 5 days or so before sailing and people have airfare these people are going to lose more then one port. The truth is things break, it's a fact of life. I'm sorry the OP missed the port but I think that is better then missing the whole cruise.

See I can't make up my mind on this issue.:???: I want the cruiselines to properly maintain the ships. However, I don't want it to effect my cruise. I only get one week maybe two weeks a year to enjoy a cruise. This year I'm not cruising at all. My next cruise is in May and I want the cruise to be wonderful. If they divert my ship from Mazaltan to Enseneda I will get off the ship long enough to buy a purse at Marios silver shop (I love that place) then I'm getting back on the ship and enjoying the fact that no one else is on board.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old November 25th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Just because a problem may have been ongoing for several weeks or even months, unless one knows the extent of the problem I wouldn't say the cruise line should have fixed it by now. When dealing with marine propulsion systems you don't find warehouses with spare diesel engines, screws (propellers), and propeller shafts sitting on the shelves. Many things have to be manufactured per order, because they are custom fitted to a specific ship or have to be redesigned for replacement because of structural variances a hull may have experienced over time.

Then, as previously mentioned, you have to schedule shipyard time to effect the repairs. It isn't like the tour bus broke down and they pulled into Pep Boys to get a new fan belt. Some problems develop over time, despite proper maintenance. It could be a manufacturing defect that was fine for years and then suddenly manifested itself. Shafts are rarely "true" and have bowing which is compensated for by bearings. Bowing can worsen over time, to the point that RPMs have to be reduced or it could damage the reduction gears and engines, or wipe the bearings. There are too many variables and scenarios involved.