Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
First Mate

Default Crime in Nassau Bahamas?

I am booked for a cruise in the near future that goes to Nassau - one of my fellow cruisers mentioned to be aware of the rash of robberies of cruise passengers that has happened recently in Nassau.

Does anyone have any information on this issue? My wife and I were thinking about walking to Cable Beach for the day, but, if robberies are a problem, I would certainly want to reconsider.

Thanks

MTSFP
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Recently there has been some instances of crime on cruise passengers but I am not sure it is at "epidemic" proportions at this time.

Here is a link to a thread on the Royal Caribbean board that discusses a recent robbery of cruise ship passenger.

Royal Carribean and Disney Passengers Robbed at Gunpoint

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 1st, 2009, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

here is another link to a thread on chit chat....

Be Careful in Nassau:(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:03 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSFP View Post
I am booked for a cruise in the near future that goes to Nassau - one of my fellow cruisers mentioned to be aware of the rash of robberies of cruise passengers that has happened recently in Nassau.

Does anyone have any information on this issue? My wife and I were thinking about walking to Cable Beach for the day, but, if robberies are a problem, I would certainly want to reconsider.

Thanks

MTSFP
Walking to Cable Beach is going to be quite a hike. Took us about 15 minutes to get there via the jitney.

It beautiful over there btw.

Bill
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
Admiral

I just read about the robberies on aol.com...Carnival, among other cruise lines, is cancelling some of their excursions due to an increase in armed robberies.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:23 AM
First Mate

Thanks for all the info - I will have to re-think my Nassau plans.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
01/07 Carnival Liberty
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
First Mate

Nassau Sucks - Stay Onboard.

Old December 3rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Familiar Face

While we didn't see any outright physical crime against cruisers when we were in Nassau in early September, we were accosted several times by people looking to sell us any number of drugs. They were very persistent, wouldn't take "no" for an answer, and insisted on following us at length to make their sales pitches. This happened in several different places on the island--once in plain view of two policemen who turned a blind eye to the goings on. We wound up going back to the ship early because we were tired of being harrassed by the locals. Certainly if you feel you need to go to the beach then do it by local transportation and do not go off walking across the island on your own. Better to err on the side of caution.

NCL STAR: 10/25/10
GLORY: 10/31/09
MONARCH OF THE SEAS: 08/31/09
LIBERTY: 11/15/08
VALOR: 09/30/07
IMAGINATION: 09/00
STARSHIP OCEANIC: 92
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Familiar Face

Just be always aware of your surroundings. Folks that are intent on robbing you or doing you harm will be watching you before they strike. If someone looks like they are watching you a little 'too much' then your spidey sense should be tingling. There is no shame in running from trouble...

Of course things in a foreign place can be harder to predict...

Carry a dummy wallet that has a few small bills in it and maybe some of those fake credit cards in it. If someone asks you for your wallet then throw it in one direction and run the other way if possible.

Don't be flashy. For me to blend in in the Bahama's (and most of the Carribean) it would be difficult, but try not to stand out from the usual tourists on holiday.

I try and blend in myself, but with a severe fetish for Digital SLR's, and camera gear I can sometimes draw my fair share of attention :o

Finally use the above at your own risk, they have worked for me in some 'sticky' situations, but you are not me so use your own judgement!

When we went to Cartagena, Columbia, I was worried about the ports safety, but with all the "Tourism Police" that surrounded the areas we visited I felt more like a visiting general than a criminals target :-)
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
First Mate

It looks like we are going to take one of the Atlantis tours with Carnival transportation to/from the ship - that should make things better.

Thanks again
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
01/07 Carnival Liberty
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old December 5th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Captain

Default Just read this in the Telegraph

(The Telegraph): A series of armed attacks on cruise ship passengers in Nassau has raised fears about the safety of visitors to the Bahamas. Several Europeans were among a group of 18 tourists held up by two men wielding shotguns during a guided tour of an eco-park close to Nassau last weekend. Their local guide was tied up and a woman hit in the face with the butt of a gun as the robbers took money, cameras, mobile phones and passports from the passengers. Last month, in another daylight incident, 11 cruise passengers were robbed at gunpoint as they stood at the top of the Queen's Staircase, the city's landmark attraction.
Mardi Gras 1986 / 1987, Emerald Seas 1988, Jubilee 1989 / 2002, Sunward II 1991, Sea Breeze 1993, Seaward 1995, Celebration 1998, Norwegian Sea 2000, Destiny 2002 /2008, Rhapsody OS 2003, Conquest 2004 / 2005 / 2008, Radiance OS 2004, Pride Of America 2006, Triumph 2007 / 2012 (x2), Grandeur OS 2008, Holiday 2009, Fantasy 2009, Splendor 2010, Elation 2010, Victory 2011