Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Wkly Blog - What's The Right Length For Your Cruise?

My Blog this week talks about the differences in the various lengths of cruises available, and what they offer.

http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/200912081204/days-days-cruise/

Pop on over and share your thoughts about which length is ideal for you, and why.
Old December 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM
First Mate

The longest cruise I've been on is a 7 day. I always seem to be ready to go home by then. I love the itinary's of some of the longer cruises, but I wonder if I would get antsy being on a ship for 2 weeks or longer?

I've also been on a few 3 & 4 day cruises - and I loved them but just not long enough. Seemed just when I was starting to relax it was time to go!!!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old December 9th, 2009, 06:38 PM
david30101

My longest was 17 days and shortest was 3 days. I think 8 days is the perfect length for the budget. Considering I mostly drive to my cruise ports, and most are 10-11 hour drive..I make sure the length of cruise will make the drive worth it. I normally travel with family (sister and her husband and son) and they usually cant afford the airfaire..I live alone so i can swing it if possible.
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've on ly been on four cruises,,two fo them 4 nights, a 7 nights and a 10 nights. I think the 7 was maybe one night too short,,,I would like 8 nights I think,,,with a couple of those sea days.
HAL Eurodam 2008
CCL Paradise upcoming 2010
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Admiral

I think the best length is "just a few days more"

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
My Blog this week talks about the differences in the various lengths of cruises available, and what they offer.

http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/200912081204/days-days-cruise/

Pop on over and share your thoughts about which length is ideal for you, and why.
I've on ly been on four cruises,,two fo them 4 nights, a 7 nights and a 10 nights. I think the 7 was maybe one night too short,,,I would like 8 nights I think,,,with a couple of those sea days.
Old December 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Kuki..after some thought after reading your blog, I agree that the 3-5 day cruise should be left to the experienced cruisers and the 7 day is best for the 1st time cruiser..I would add one caveat, your first 7 day cruise should not be port intensive and if possible include a private island

I use to be of the belief that the 3-5 day cruise should be the first, but once again, you have shown me the light
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Admiral

I think that given the costs of cruises, especially since most people also have to fly to the ports, a short cruise the first time is the way to go if you are relaly not sure you will appreciate what a cruise has to offer. They know that if they liked it, they will do a longer one in the te future.
Most people do nto wnat to spend more for a week if they might regret having spent it. If they lnly paid for a 3-4 day, they will not feel they have wasted the cost of a full week.

My first cruise was a 4-nighter with my then 14-year old son, on Sensation in 2007. I'm glad it was only a 4-nighter as I found out my son does not love cruising. He liked the novelty of having the cute little cabin with a bed by the window, loved the video arcade, and loved playing imi-golf on the top deck. But he wasn't interested in meeting other teens or particpating int or even watching any activities or shows. He wanted to eat in the room or on lido deck. I would have been pissed of if I'd paid for a whole week and he didn't like it. The cruise ended just before he would have been walking around saying "I'm bored."

I learned that I will not cruise again with him at least until he is much older and can appreciate the dining room, shows, etc...

It also made me realize I can have a cruise that is all my own. So I planned a 4-night solo cruise and now have my mom joining me. Money prohibits me from taking a 7 or 8-day cruise but I still want to do that and I hope to do a 14-day or transatlantic cruise after I retire.

In short, the best cruise length is what fits your immediate needs, based on your cruise experiences to date as well as of those going with you, your budget, where you want to crusie to, and how much vacation time you have. This can change from year to year.
Old December 10th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Admiral

I have been on two 4 days cruises and next week a 5 night cruise. I go with my girlfriends and leave the hubby and son at home so I was never comfortable being gone to long. However my 2011 cruise will be a 7 day cruise. Now that my son is getting older I will be more comfortable being away a little longer.
Old December 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I have been on eight cruises and all but one have been a seven-day cruise (the other was a 6 day). I really wish they would have some 8, 9, or 10 day cruises with equal sea days to port days.

My next cruise is a four port stop, but stop #1 is Half Moon Cay, so it is a day of RnR.

Sadly, the cruising bank account is getting extremely low, which means Sept 2010 the account will be depleated and I will ave to save up each month for my one and only cruise each year.

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Cool

A 14 day + cruise is what we prefer . It takes at least 5 days to fully relax.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess