Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Admiral

Question Best/Worst Disembarkation ports

Just wondering your thoughts on the topic.

Don't really have a nominee for best, but Long Beach qualifies as the worst of our three experiences. Getting off the ship and finding our luggage was a snap, but then we had to compete for space going through a relatively narrow door with other pax & porters and then into some unidentifiable lines to clear customs. Some lines on the floor and signs in the air might have been a big help.

San Juan was pretty easy, found our luggage with not too much difficulty and it was a straight shot through customs and to ground transportation. Now the airport is a different story, but that is not subject of this thread.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2009, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Yikes, I hope Longbeach isn't that bad when I sail on the Splendor next month. That's the absolute worst in my opinion.... huge lines at the end of a great cruise.

The worst time I've ever encountered were horribly long lines going through customs, both times in New Orleans. I'm talking about waiting HOURS in line. Never had a problem in any other port for some reason (luck?). We had heard there were a lot of agents that called out sick that day. The worst part about that is no access to rest rooms, and usually when the lines are that long, the customs agents are very grouchy!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old December 16th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Admiral

I have to say that the worst I've experienced lately (haven't been out of the West Coast in a LONG time) has to be Miami. Sometimes it isn't too bad, but more often than not, it's a bit of a headache. Best has to be Port of Tampa. They're excellent at handling the crowds. Luggage drop-off is very easy, parking right across the street, airport is close to the port, hotels are plentiful and generally very good, and in general just much easier than most of the rest.

"SKY"
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:07 PM
First Mate

Bayone NJ sure didnt impress me last March.

Ft Lauderdale is pretty painless.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old December 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I thought you were talking about ports. I was going to say "Grand Cayman."

The worst are the ones with no signs in English and visa restrictions. You have not lived until you arrive in Moscow or Rio and try to find your way through customs & immigration.

Of all the Carnival ports, the one I least enjoy now is Cozumel. There is nothing to do unless you want to skorkle. It is hot and the shopping is just Mexican tchatchkas (can I spell-check that?). I find almost no reason to get off the ship there anymore.

St Martin is getting pretty old now, too. The shopping there is NOT what it used to be. And now you have that long walk or taxi ride to get into town. I thought piers were supposed to make things easier.

I don't know about you, but I am pretty tired of the caribbean myself. But that brings up another question I will ask in a soperate thread.

Old December 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I remember a few times in San Juan, where I wanted to wiggle my nose and Samantha myself right on home.....For me, Fll is familiar,and, I have no issues there...Next year with the Oasis and Allure, I may just have another opinion though!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Sista - I have to say I was thinking of the worst of a group of "not too bads" the lines weren't necessarily long just that traffic flow was confusing.

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
haven't been out of the West Coast in a LONG time
"SKY"
Well shoot Sky that means you have to book Splendor for May 2, we can Karaoke. It will be fun.

Worst Embarkation Miami and best debarkation Cittavechia, Italy we didn't have to go through customs. Just walk off the ship and the bags are right there.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Admiral

Disembarkation?
New Orleans =easy
Ft Lauderdale= easy
Vancouver=easy
Seattle=easy
San Juan=easy
Miami=easy
Mobile=easy
New York=easy
Long Beach= ?????

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old December 16th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Admiral

My favorite is Port Canaveral.

But that is only because we are VIP. They (usually) have VIP that starts right at the door....before you even go through Security.

On the Dream Dec 3rd....they handled it a little differently because they had 600+ Platinum members. But they were ready. We left the hotel at 10AM and were on the ship in about 45 minutes best as I can remember.

Debarkation....we had number 3 to get off but weren't quite ready...we got off with the number 6's and our luggage was right there.

Some folks who got off exactly when their number was called complained about a 30 minute wait for luggage?? But that was not our experience.

Customs had NO line....just took our form...asked if we were US citizens and said have a nice day.

New Orleans used to be the best when they were in the Julia Terminal. Erato Terminal is nice (parking right on top of where you check in...love that) but the flow gets a little confusing.....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Admiral

We have only cruise from 2 ports Ft Lauderdale and Miami and I have to say that Miami is worse and it seems that the problem is due to customs, they have not ever had enough lines. And this last time was the worse a lot due to the extra paperwork that non Americans had to have filled out and with them having to be photographed and fingerprinted ( I know only one finger) but when you have families of 4 or more it takes time and there was no line set up just for them. Also trying to find your luggage on a serpintine conveyer is harder than just looking at lines of luggage.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
Well shoot Sky that means you have to book Splendor for May 2, we can Karaoke. It will be fun.
WOW, that would be lots of fun! Unfortunately, now that I'm retired I've got no money! (I'll look into it anyway,,,my credit card companies don't know I'm broke yet.:-D)

"SKY"
Old December 17th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
WOW, that would be lots of fun! Unfortunately, now that I'm retired I've got no money! (I'll look into it anyway,,,my credit card companies don't know I'm broke yet.:-D)

"SKY"
They have good deals on the Mexican Riveria (sp?) cruise because there is a lot of supply. Mariner of the seas and Splendor are two big ships. A 4A on May 2 cruise is only $449 plus taxes and port fees. :-D It's flying to California that will cost you.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Funny, the worst embarkation I ever had was for Mariner of the Seas at Port Canaveral. I think it was an anomaly because most people dont recall the same experience.

But we had a long, snaking line all the way from behind the ticket counters to the actual arrival on the ship, one person at a time, including the escalator and several hundred yards of hallways.

A lot of it had to do with only having one working machine to take pictures for the sign & sail cards for all 4000+ of us. But it was a mess. We even had a person in a wheelchair with us and people were cutting in line ahead of us when they could, and lines were going to dead ends with no supervision anywhere (stand there for then minutes and realize it wasn't moving). Really bad.

Old December 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Long Beach by far is the worst. Last year, I had passengers that told me they weren't even allowed off the ship b/c of the back log and they were crammed into the halls -2 people passed out and no one could get to them or call for help so the passengers brought them through the crowds. My group of 6 had 1pm flights and almost missed them.

Agency owner just returned from the Splendor and waited 2+ hours for customs. He left the ship at 9:30am(ish) but they made all the Canadian passengers wait for Americans to clear first... he nearly got bumped from his 2pm flight b/c he was not there 2 hours prior to the flight (which was probably overbooked and they were looking for an excuse)

I personally will not book anyone out of LAX prior to 2pm and still tell passengers if they can, do the walk off first thing in the morning.
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Admiral

I think because my hubby and I drive to Long Beach it's much easier for us. We just sit in the lounge and wait for most of the other people to clear out. Then we walk off the ship.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Worst: Galveston in 2006 or earlier
Best: Galveston from 2008

Better training, new ramps, more Customs booths (and lines), new waiting areas, etc.

Mobile Alabama was very smooth. Also New Orleans. Barcelona has no customs so very easy.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old December 17th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have to agree with those who said Long Beach. The lines were long and boarding was disorganized the one time I boarded there. I do have to say that the boarding area was under construction and renovation.

My daughter and I had VIP boarding but there was one VERY long single file line. I finally saw a Carnival rep and asked where the VIP boarding line was. She just said: "Follow me." She weaved her way through the line and we followed. The bad part was there were a number of passengers that weren't too happy about us going ahead in the line and we were called a few "names" as we walked forward. Once inside the building there was a nice VIP boarding area and we were onboard within 10 minutes. In a way I felt bad as we followed the rep but I paid for VIP boarding and there was no reason we shouldn't have been allowed to use it.

I personally find the Fort Lauderdale has the easiest.

Paul: Rio is easy. Then again I have my own personal translator to accompany me.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Long Beach is hectic? :-x
Don't tell me that so as to get me discouraged !!!
Splendor out of Long Beach April 2010.

/ticker.png">
Old December 18th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Passenger

We've always had a pretty easy time in San Pedro and Long Beach. At SFO we didn't have any problems with customs or luggage but transportation out can get tricky since you're right on a city street. Houston, however, was ugly. There was a minimal amount of space, luggage wasn't sorted much at all and waiting (of which there was plenty) was done standing in the hot sun. (I recommend wearing a hat.)
Old December 18th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I admit I usually disembark with luggage in hand with the self-helpers because I dont enjoy waiting around the ship for my number to be called.

Honestly, I don't think anyone really minds if you walk off "early" whether your baggage tag number is called or not - if you really must be off the ship.

If you have a colored tag and If they are running late - there is usually a good reason, such as long lines at customs, but if you are running late and NEED to be at the airport, that's all the more reason to get out of there early.

I suggest you just calmly walk off and hope you can find your bags (they all should all be off-loaded from the ship already) and get to the airport. I have never seen anyone stopped from leaving the ship for not having their baggage number called yet, and if you are just tell them its an emergency.

The worst experiences I have had is when they are not let people off the ship at all for some reason. rare, but it can happen. Last time I recall was Carnival in Miami.

Old December 18th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Honestly, I don't think anyone really minds if you walk off "early" whether your baggage tag number is called or not - if you really must be off the ship.

If you have a colored tag and If they are running late - there is usually a good reason, such as long lines at customs, but if you are running late and NEED to be at the airport, that's all the more reason to get out of there early.

I suggest you just calmly walk off and hope you can find your bags (they all should all be off-loaded from the ship already) and get to the airport. I have never seen anyone stopped from leaving the ship for not having their baggage number called yet, and if you are just tell them its an emergency.

The worst experiences I have had is when they are not let people off the ship at all for some reason. rare, but it can happen. Last time I recall was Carnival in Miami.
Sorry Paul but I have to disagree with you on this one. There will be a fraction of a precentage of people who suddenly need to get off the ship early on the last day.

I have seen two instances (Carnival Legend in Fort Lauderdale and Serenade of the Seas in Vancouver) where a large group of people left the ship before their color was called and sure enough their luggage was not put out. They basically blocked the baggage area and blocked other people while they looked for their luggage among the tags that had been put out and threw fits because their luggage wasn't there. It was a mess, especially with the Carnival Legend cruise.

If you are carrying your luggage off then self-disembarkation is fine and it is usually the first group to go. If you REALLY need to get off early and have luggage then you should go to the Purser's desk, before the last day of the cruise, and let them know you have an early flight and need an early disembarkation. If some sort of emergency happens, that you didn't know about until the last day, then I can understand jumping the line. However that would be very rare. People know long before the last day when their flight is and can make arrangements beforehand. Some people think a 1:15 p.m. flight, out of Miami, is early so they should be one of the first people off the ship.

Also if everyone decides they just want to leave whenever they want then you'll end up with one big traffic jam on the gangway, luggage area and customs and the disembarkation process will take even longer causing people who went with the system to be late for their flights. Even "Freestyle" cruising controls the traffic flow with tag colors so their isn't a massive rush as soon as disembarkation starts. The cruise lines have been doing this for years and there is a method behind their madness with color coded disembarkation. It isn't perfect but it is a lot better than a cattle call.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 18th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I can accept that, Mike. I was basically referring to people in cases where they seem to calling numbers much later than the times expected to be called and you NEED to get off. I am pretty sure that in most cases the bags are off the ship fairly early, before they call the numbers for the tags, I don't personally ever recall leaving a ship and not seeing the terminal already full of bags. But I suppose it is possible they could still be offloading bags if the ship got in late.

But naturally IF you know you have been given tags where the numbers are expected to be called later than you need to get to the airport on time, you should tell the front desk.

But I kind of see it like the airport - you SHOULD get there in plenty of time, and I always do, but if for some reason you are late (traffic?) then you should ask to go to the front of the security line rather than miss your flight. Off course it doesn't work if everyone does it that way, but because the vast majority of people are working the system as prescribed, it makes it possible to accomodate those with special cases, and that is a good thing.

Old December 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Admiral

We had early disembarkation in San Juan (group 2 or 3) and I do remember seeing several numbered signs with no luggage. I think the timeliness of clearing customs plays a part in all this. Obviously if you can avoid having stevedore, porters and passengers in the same area at the same time it would be a good thing.

Old December 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I forgot to mention Galveston, which for me really was the worst I have ever come across. This was in a September, when I hosted the cruise.After arrival at the pier, I was amazed to see the line around the building.

Since I cannot stand for the period of time it would have taken the line to move, quickly, I was allowed upstairs. Once up there we found a crowd that was not so happy. Never determining why the long lines, we wondered if this was a weekly occurance...Maybe it was the timing of our arrival, around 2 ish.....?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator