Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
First Mate

Default Dream complaints

cm and other cruise guides have reported that the DREAM is too busy passenger wise, food is OK quality, entertainment OK, too slow embark and disembark , and TOO EXPENSIVE!
What gives, brand new ship, must be some cranky peopel from the original and transatlantic
Can anybody comment on this. We are already booked on her and if there is already problems we might have to take another look ,we have made 7 cruises and only ONE did we have any problems(matre'D)
Thanks in advance for the REAL SCOOP
boB
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

So, you are booked...did you get a price that you were comfortable with, or did you pay through the nose to get on the Dream? I hope you got a deal, if so, that's one hurdle.....

Food, has got to be the most subjective thing ever, so if by chance you get something you don't like..order something else...you will find a winner that may be an occasional hurdle...

My past 2 Carnival cruises, the entertainment was fabulous..hope for the best....

Too busy, well....its a biggie, so either go very early to board,or go later in the afternoon, to minimize crowds.

Go with an open mind. It takes time for some kinks to shake out, and hopefully, yours will be a winner.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Admiral

Just got off a 9 day cruise on the Dream and those were not my observations. There were too many people trying to eat lunch on the Lido on sea days but that is true on most Carnival ships. The Mongolian Woc was always backed up but again that is true for any Carnival ship that has it. I thought food quality was pretty much the same as we have come to expect from Carnival. This was my first experience with Carnival Anytime Dining and it worked well for us. Embarcation at Port Canaveral was pretty standard except for the fact there were so many VIP's on this sailing they were processed different than usual and maybe not to the liking of some. Debark was superior (for me). As for expensive not sure where that is coming from. Ship prices seemed to be the same as usual. Cruise fare was a little more but it was 9 days not 7 so I was happy with that.
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog View Post
Just got off a 9 day cruise on the Dream and those were not my observations. There were too many people trying to eat lunch on the Lido on sea days but that is true on most Carnival ships. The Mongolian Woc was always backed up but again that is true for any Carnival ship that has it. I thought food quality was pretty much the same as we have come to expect from Carnival. This was my first experience with Carnival Anytime Dining and it worked well for us. Embarcation at Port Canaveral was pretty standard except for the fact there were so many VIP's on this sailing they were processed different than usual and maybe not to the liking of some. Debark was superior (for me). As for expensive not sure where that is coming from. Ship prices seemed to be the same as usual. Cruise fare was a little more but it was 9 days not 7 so I was happy with that.
We were on the 9 day with Scurvy. (BTW, did we get to meet????)

So much was going on between the cruise and the Bloggers....I did not know if I was coming or going.....

Here is a review that I posted.....

-------------------------------------------------------------

Just some background....we are seasoned travelers.

This was my 33rd Carnival cruise (hubby's 42nd) and our 18 year old's 33rd Carnival cruise.

Embarkation was wonderful. (which surprised me a little because we had 600+ Platinum members...so I expected VIP check in to be delayed) Port Canaveral prepared for this unusual amount of VIPs and they did it well.

We had a Spa Interior Cabin. (which I joked about being my Spa Closet on the Roll Calls...because I wanted a balcony and hubby said no) But there was plenty of room for the 3 of us. We were on Deck 11. We had a Spa Balcony on the Splendor (free upgrade) last year and I love the Thalassotherapy pool, saunas and relaxation rooms. I am NOT a Spa person at all...but I love this addition to the Carnival bigger ships.

One note: there is a possible noise issue in the Spa Interior cabins on Deck 11. IF the ship is going 20+ knots and IF the waves hit it just right...there is an echo "gong" sound. It only lasted 18 hours out of a 9 day cruise...and some additional insulation will probably fit the problem.

I emailed a VP at Carnival Corp Sunday afternoon when we got home about this and had a reply in about 2 hours. Not worthy of any compensation...I just wanted them to know they had a possible issue that they needed to deal with.

The ship is beautiful. Still a little Farcus but not as over the top as some of his ships are.

The flow on Promenade Deck 5 can get bottlenecked at the coffee bar on formal night with pictures being taken. Just use Lower Dream Street (Deck 4) to go forward to aft .....no traffic at all down there.

The Ocean Plaza concept is neat. Lots of dancing when the band is set up there. And the whirlpools over the side are great.

I really like the fact that karaoke and the piano bar are so close!!! LOVE the Adult Serenity area. Hammocks...whirlpools... and covered cove seating were fabulous. I didn't want to leave.

Food: It was fine on Lido and in the Main Dining Room. Consistant with all the other Carnival ships we have been on. I loved the Pasta bar. I was expecting LONG lines reading earlier reviews...but we never experienced that at all. The longest line we stood in was at the mongolian wok on the last sea day and that is because each meal is individually prepared for you. We did not eat in the Steak House.

Staff: Marvelous. Friendly and helpful. This was a Blogger's Cruise...so there was a lot going on. (extra work for the staff and crew) And they all handled it with ease.

Our cabin steward and wait staff were wonderful.
Mouna (karaoke host) is THE BEST EVER!!!!

There were some issues on the ship.

The Spa elevator tripped the circuit breakers (which dominoed down the ship) and it took 15 minutes to get everyone out of the elevators who were stuck. It took 1 1/2 hours to fix the problem, since there are over 400 circuits to check.

To clear up A LOT of misinformation about San Juan... yes, we missed that port.

All ship captains (cruise, freight etc) use the
Star Cruises simulator to practice docking at ports that these new ships have never been to before....so that they are proficient when they finally arrive. (just like airline pilots use simulators to practice landing at different air fields)

Star Cruises Ship Simulator Centre

In San Juan, RCCL had paid to add a huge piece of artwork that was not programmed into the Star Cruise simulator. It was added after this program was written and San Juan never bothered to contact Star Cruise to update the addition.

This huge piece of artwork would have pierced the lifeboats had Captain Carlos not caught the error in time. This would have meant the end of our cruise and everyone flying home from San Juan.

The second option of docking at another dock was not possible because the Dream required a deeper draft.

The option of tendering was not possible because San Juan does not have any tenders and the lifeboats (which some cruise lines use as tenders) would not match up to the docks. The docks were to tall.

Now this piece of artwork is being removed because the Oasis of the Seas can't dock there either and with only about 6 ports to work with...RCCL certainly does not want to lose one.

This was one disappointment that even the Senior Cruise Director John Heald understood...since he had been planning a big Blogger's Party with Nani (who lives in Puerto Rico) for over a year. She was going to come onboard and we had tons of school supplies for her school children. She and John (and the Blogger's Family) are all very close and we were all disappointed....but as travelers we understand that "ship happens".

Carnival is making sure all the school supplies get to Nani this week.

It was also a disappointment for the staff and crew because this was to be their "money stop" (where they wire money home to their family).

This is where my "patience" for BUS RIDERS wore a little thin. If someone HAS to be at a specific port for a special event....FLY THERE.
This is a cruise ship....not a bus.

But they don't fly there...because to fly there, pay for the hotel and meals and taxis etc...would COST MORE than the 9 day cruise they were on...and they get the cruise as a bonus.

Again, the amount of stupid information sadden me. If someone doesn't know what they are talking about...they should keep their mouth shut! Some idiot made the sad mistake of saying to me that Carnival had cancelled that port on purpose to make the gambling and alcohol revenue. I quickly corrected them and let them know that the shore excursion revenue lost by Carnival at that one stop far exceeded any alcohol or gambling that was spent that day.

But what can you do.....as Ron White says "You can't fix stupid."

The Dream staff had a new Caper out before we could even get down to the Atrium to see what was going on....with a whole host of activities.

We loved the ports. This was our first time to Antigua and Tortola. We just walked around the shops at the port. We were just at St Thomas in May for the upteenth thousandth time....so our big excursion was a trip to KMart!!! (and then on to the Shipwreck Tavern to have lunch with friends)

Overall....we had a blast. Of the 3,804 guests on board....3,100+ were past guests...which broke a record. And of course the 600+ Platinum members broke a record.

There were a few cabins with a legitate complaint of sewage backflushing into the shower. It wasn't our cabin, but I know the folks that had the issue and it was genuine. Houseweeking kept on top of it with bleach and odor inhibitors several times a day. They were not bus riders. They had a real issue that lasted more than one day. I have hopefully directed them to a good contact to get this resolved.

I was Brittney Spears in the Legend Show...and had a blast. We actually got to do two shows instead of just one. (we did the 8:30 and 10:30) The 10:30 was definately better...a lot of the nerves are gone by then. Although, I wish I had asked Frank for more monitor. I am monitor dependent (hearing myself) to keep on key. But it was fun.

Frank Sinatra stole the show. He was 82 years old!!!

Some questions I had heard ask was about the FREE sauna and steam room. They do have BOTH.
One is co-ed and the other has a men's and ladies.

Of course they have the full gym etc....

Lots of music on the Promenade.... a cover band, Kevin playing an acoustic guitar, two duos in the Atrium, piano bar, Latin band and C. band.

If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

musicalcruiser@hotmail.com

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:48 PM
First Mate

Default Dream complaints

Thanks for the real update and info on the dream.I knew i could count on CRUISE MATES for the real scoop.

boB
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I was on a short two-day NY City cruise. The cruise was great, the ship is one of the more appealing Carnival ships to me.

The only complaint I would have about crowding would be the LIDO bufet area. They needed to go with more stations but still opted to design it along the single line approach.

Grin & bear it in the Lido, because that is all you can do. Its a small annoyance and certainly should not ruin your cruise by any means. The ship is great and you will have a perfect Carnival-style cruise.
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just returned from the Dream this am. The boat is beautiful. The lunch/Lido lines are long in the specialty areas (Mongolian Wok/Pasta Bar) and in the omelet lines in the am. They do need to add more staff in these areas but overall the experience is on par with the other 8 Carnival cruises I have done. They have added a comedy lounge with multiple shows on four of the seven nights. I will go on this ship again in the future. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old December 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

BTW, I forgot to mention they have 2 deck parties on the Dream. One was a Latin and the deck did not fill up like on the first deck party. They did attempt 3 or 4 Laser Light shows but the wind was up so much that the fog machine did not allow the lights to be seen as should have been but you have to consider Carnival has no control of the weather. They were trying out doing BBQ on Lanai Deck at lunchtime(deck 5 which wraps around entire vessel). I did not go to the bbq so not sure how it went however.
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Dream May 2010
Old December 19th, 2009, 11:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I saw the laser shows - they are very cool - though probably cost a lot of money for something of a short 15-minute cheap thrill every night. but still very cool.

The waterpark is great - kids will love the ship. It is a nice Carnival ship - more elegant than most (to be honest) and less "weirdness" in the decor. To me, that makes it a much nicer vessel, but the food and entertainment are still great.
Old December 20th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I was on a short two-day NY City cruise. The cruise was great, the ship is one of the more appealing Carnival ships to me.

The only complaint I would have about crowding would be the LIDO bufet area. They needed to go with more stations but still opted to design it along the single line approach.

Grin & bear it in the Lido, because that is all you can do. Its a small annoyance and certainly should not ruin your cruise by any means. The ship is great and you will have a perfect Carnival-style cruise.

Carnival definately needs to let a WOMAN design their Lido.... (on all their ships)...you men just don't have a clue....

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old December 25th, 2009, 02:20 PM
First Mate

We are going to book the Dream for Christmas 2010. Going on price watch from Feb, March. We need to do another cruise in April or May after the Liberty cruise Jan 9th, then the Dream will be our 25th cruise with CCL. 25% OBC with the best price will be great deal for us. One nice thing I have one more cruise then the other half, checked with CCL and we can do 2 cruises with the 25% OBC. We don't worry about reviews and opinions about a cruise line or ship. You just have alot of people will moan about anything. Go with the flow, any problems handle them with common sence. Read your contracts and BUY INSURANCE. Have a great cruise.
Old December 25th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Ok, something weird is going on when I try to log in, it logs me in lets me post, and then says I am not logged in...

I have hopes of booking the Dream for Sept 2010, but I have to wait and see about the price..

I am astounded by the number of past guests and platinum on the bloggers cruise....oh my...I'll be Platinum, unless I win the lotto before September) in September...

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old December 26th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedangel View Post
Ok, something weird is going on when I try to log in, it logs me in lets me post, and then says I am not logged in...

I have hopes of booking the Dream for Sept 2010, but I have to wait and see about the price..

I am astounded by the number of past guests and platinum on the bloggers cruise....oh my...I'll be Platinum, unless I win the lotto before September) in September...

Yes, I have to say that I was very surprised to hear 600+ Platinum members.

I never did ask how many Milestone members. I know our family and another couple from Florida that we know....and I am sure there must have been a few more couples....

We had a BLAST!!!

Old December 27th, 2009, 09:41 AM
david30101

I will book the Dream in the future..Once the OOOHHS...and AAAHHHHSS!..Wear off, the prices will go down. Its a brand new ship..They have to work the bugs out..Its like buying a new car from the first year it was built....DONT do it..Wait awile..
Im glad they have a nice week long cruise out of PC now..So I dont have to drive 11 hours to Miami or Ft Lauderdale..It gets old after awile.
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:52 AM
Captain

I agree that a woman should design the ships, particularly the lido dining areas. We were on the Dream in October for the 12 day Grand Med tour. It is the most beautiful ship we have sailed yet with several new innovations. Our cabin crawl tour gave us the opportunity to see a variety of cabins and I while we booked a nice balcony on the new Vista deck, I was quite impressed with the new cove balcony as well.

We loved being entertained each evening by Ken the Maitre 'd who sang Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin style, so try to get a table on the lower level if at possible.

The main disappointment we had with the Dream was the food and the set up of the buffet areas as well as the times that those areas were open and closed.

We found that we could not get a meal that was hot and this was in the dining room as well as the buffet line. All of the food was barely warm. The warming lights and hot water baths were not being used in the buffet area and in the dining room we also were served lukewarm food. We felt that the kitchen and dining staff might be understaffed for this size ship and hopefully that has changed by now.

The set up in the buffet line seemed to always result in a bottleneck. For example, most ships have a separate salad bar set up and different specialty stations, which helps the traffic flow more smoothly. The Dream was set up as two buffet lines that each started on the outer edge of the room and worked a line to the center. You started with the salad bar and continued to the "hot" food area and then, right in the middle was the mongoloian wok (at breakfast it was the omelet station). Since everyone had to wait at the center wok/omelet station, it basically stopped the line that was coming through the buffet line behind them.

Even though there were four buffet areas, only 2 would usually be put into service at any given time and it seemed that the serving times were shorter than normal. The separate serving stations and opening more than the two lines would alleviate this problem.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

When I was on the Dec 12 Dream Cruise the cruise director (Todd) announced there were over 2600 return cruisers on the ship. I think there were like 3700 passengers total. I'm excited..going on 10th Carnival next Monday! Finally, Platinum!!!
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Dream May 2010
Old December 28th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Dream is a very nice ship that Carnival fans should like a lot. Its very "Carnival" but with a lot of very fun features like FunHub and the Lanai seating on the Promenade deck.
Old December 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Dream is a very nice ship that Carnival fans should like a lot. Its very "Carnival" but with a lot of very fun features like FunHub and the Lanai seating on the Promenade deck.
Paul, I agree that the ship is very nice. There are so many places to relax and read, talk, play games, or just watch the sea. The Lanai seating areas and the Serenity areas are fabulous. I am wondering about the fun hubs and internet now that the ship is stateside. There were so many problems with the internet while the ship was still in Italy. I carried my mini netbook and used it all over the ship and had no problems at all, but when I and most others tried to use the ships computers there were lots of problems. The computers are also set up in several areas throughout the ship, so you are not confined to busy internet cafe area. I hope that they have worked that out now and thought that it was probably something to do with the area (Europe).

We found that the Dream has pay per view movies in the cabins now, which is nice if you are one to stay in the cabin, or maybe have a sick day or bad weather day, and want to stay in the cabin. Be forewarned, however, that some of the PPV movies are X-rated and you might need to lock those if you have children or teens on board. Since I was not traveling with children on this cruise I am not knowledgeble about locking out certain TV channels, but feel that Carnival would bring this to the attention of those who are traveling with children. We found that once we purchased a movie, we could stop in the middle of it and it would be saved for a few days until we had a chance to come back and finish it. I thought that was a nice feature.

We also thought that the children's and teen areas were fantastic and know that our grandchildren will really enjoy them along with the water slide.
2005 Holiday, Sensation, Conquest,
2006 Conquest, Celebration, Holiday,
2007 Freedom Grand Med, Holiday
2008 Fantasy & Sensation,
2009 Fantasy, Holiday & Dream Grand Med
2010 Fantasy and B2B Elation
2011 Monarch of the Seas
2012 Booked - Breeze from Barcelona 12 days
Old December 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I was only on the 2-day cruise to nowhere out of NYC, but I did try the FunHub and found it to be working pretty well.

But I was one of the few people who even seemed to understand what it can do. I created a social group and asked people to jlojn it, but no one did.

It is a GREAT concept for groups on ships and people who want to keep in touch, like bug families. You can leave messages for other people.

Too bad people didn't seem to know what it can do.
Old December 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs down

We just got home from our trip on the Carnival Dream. I was not impressed what so ever. Also from talking to other people on the cruise they felt the same way.
Food was nothing better then the food that you would get from a below then average restaurant.
We even were so lucky to discover to roaches in our bathroom. That is always a nice thing to find. grrrr
Lots of long lines, but that is expected on a ship with almost 4000 people.
I honestly don't think they cook most of their food, it seems like it comes out of ready made containers.
We did like the ice cream and the hamburgers, but not too many people can mess those up.
It was upsetting to smell weed being smoked on a few different occasions around the ship.
The ship really needs to have a kiddy pool that is under 3 foot deep for the younger kids. They have slides, but honestly if the younger kids wanted to be in a pool they had to go to the hot tub which I'm sorry thats gross when you have a bunch of people sitting in the hot bath water.
I will say the crew did well at keeping things cleaned up around the ship.
It wasn't the worst cruise, but it wasn't even close to being the best. The biggest disappointment was the food.

We will not be thinking about returning to Carnvial again.
Old December 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
Admiral

We were on Dream in March while she was still plenty new and bombarded with reviews of sewage smells. We never got any of that.

My 5 cent review:
-they layout is kind of weird, lots of dead ends, and daily access blocks
-the MDR food was pretty good.
-the buffet food was okay, although we really enjoyed the mongolian wok.
-entertainment was excellent (well except for the C&W show).
-the CD was excellent.
-I found service to be very lacking, but that is a personal observation.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old December 14th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Welcome Newcomer

yes the sewage smell was horrible at times. It was most noticable on the 9th deck.
Old December 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
First Mate

I was on the dream in May and there was six of us now we had most of our meals in the dining room and there was no waiting. We did not have one problem with service
and the staff seem to be on top of everything
we all thought the shows were good, movies out side by the pool were all good .
Wonderful ship. the only place we did wait for like 20 minutes was in line in the lido
deck for lunch one day. but we had no where to be so not a big deal to us.
I would go on the Dream any time..

Some times bigger is not better.
I my self had a good time, thought my food was good I did not have to clean, cook, do
laundry, my room was clean everyday and I had a good time.
did smell the sewage one day on deck while laying in the sun. was gone as fast as I smelled it.
I never had to wait for a drink so that was important..
Loved all the hot tubs around. Loved the adult section I dont have kids and that was one place
they are not aloud. thats a good thing. The water slide was great.
sorry cant find much that went wrong on my cruise. I went to relax, see the shows, enjoy good
food and see the islands.

Last edited by Sammy1954; December 14th, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old December 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Admiral

oh yeah, the waterslide .... that was one of my beefs.

Apparently, my daughter did not make the height restriction, but a fraction of an inch. She used the waterslide for the first 5 days of the trip, with no problem. She's tall for her age, and she's been on much higher waterslides at Great Wolf Lodge. On the last day of our cruise, some $%#$%#$ decided to height-check her, and she barely missed the cut-off. She was in tears. Way to wreck a little girl's good time.

Now I'm all for safety and enforcing the rules, but enforce them uniformly, and height check EVERY child from DAY 1. Don't let a little girl have fun all week long, and then stop her on the last day.

JMHO.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs down

Did your daughter complain that she hit her head inside the drain pipe slide? Everytime I would go down it right before I went into the bowl my head would get slammed back. Tried lifting my head up, tried laying my head down and still I hurt my head. lol
We didn't eat alot in the dining room because at first our seat time was 8:15 and with little kiddo's it was just too late. However we did get it changed to anytime and ate there a couple times.
My major complaint is with the buffet food. It wasn't good and like many other people that have complained online the food was usually cold.
Wait staff was always lovely and really enjoyed the man "sushi" that cleaned our room.
Now I will say the other issue is the elevators don't seem to want to stop at floors alot of the time.
The Dream was no where near the best ship I have been on, but considering I paid only 1600 with tax for the four of us I can say I got my money's worth at least.
I just wish they would work on their buffet food.... the talk of the tables were always how gross the food at the buffet was.
I still say they should've added another pool that is not as deep so young children can play in it. I noticed many toddlers had to play at the end of the little slides to play in standing water.
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Admiral

hmmm - my daughter never mentioned that. Now, my daughter is a crier/complainer, so I'm sure that if she even tapped her head, she would have come out screaming, and this never happened!

When we cruised DREAM, it was our first cruise in many years. I hated the food. In my head, I was doing a Carnival to Royal comparison. What I should really have been doing was a cruising in 2010 to cruising in 2000 comparison. We cruised Grandeur of the Seas in September, just so I could do a food comparison. You know what? The food on Carnival was not that bad. MDR to MDR - I think Carnival wins. Buffet to Buffet, Carnival wins HAND DOWN. We ate a few buffet meals in the DREAM, and they were okay. The food in the GOS buffet, was outright inedible, IMHO. If you asked me last March, I was done with Carnival. Now that I've had the chance to compare it to Grandeur, I'd even be willing to cruise the DREAM again.

Granted, you can't compare a 7-nt Carnival DREAM ship to an older RC ship on a 5-nt itinerary, so I do have to take that into account. I think the only fair solution is for me to cruise Allure or Oasis and compare it to DREAM. Ha HA, I don't think DH is going to go for that one! We are going to cruse Eurodam in March, so that will offer some more "food" for thought.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old December 17th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
Carnival definately needs to let a WOMAN design their Lido.... (on all their ships)...you men just don't have a clue....

:-D

Made me laugh.

Carnival Ecstasy 11-28-11

Bare with me...I'm new.
Old December 17th, 2010, 09:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question

Well why the heck did I keep hitting my head on that thing. (no I wasn't drinking )
I want to go on the Oasis badly. That ship was by us for most of the cruise and at a couple of our stops.
Have you ever considered the Epic? I looked into that one also, but really haven't heard too much about it.
I am wanting to go back on another cruise during my daughters spring break, but really don't know which to do? If Oasis would drop their prices a little.... (not happening) lol
I am wondering if the reason the food wasn't as good on Dream is because its such a big ship with so many passengers? I think you said it best that bigger isn't always better.
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:34 PM
First Mate

I'm sailing on the Dream Jan 15th and I can't wait!!

I just got back from RCCL Navigator - and while the ship was really beautiful - I thought the service was not as good as Carny. We had MDR 2nd seating and were told the same bottle of wine we had 2 nights ago is no longer available? Ok, maybe we got the last one (on the 2nd night of the cruise?). Someone at the table wanted mashed not baked that was on the menu - the waiter hesitated then said " I'll try". Come on! My favorite mixer - grapefruit juice was only found in 1 bar on the last night of the cruise. I was told by all the other bartenders that the ship didnt carry grapefruit juice. Are you kidding me???? We hardly got any conversation out of our cabin steward - only on the last night of the cruise when she told us the comment cards were on the bed. Right. I have a 13 night transatlantic booked with RCCL, but I'm cancelling it. Thats a long time on a ship if the service stinks, and I don't want to have to bring a gallon of grapefruit juice.

I'm excited to be going back on Carny - and especially to see this beautiful new ship!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old December 20th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Familiar Face

IMHO the Carnival Dream did get very crowded on the Lido at lunch if you expected to come in around 1pm and get your food

This happened to us the first day, a simple change in plan (get there when it opens) corrected the problem and we rarely had to wait more than 15 minutes to get some Mongolian Wok goodness

So if you IMPROVISE, ADAPT, and OVERCOME, you can easily work around existing problems.

The elevators were always crowded, so we used the stairs. It was not a problem for us.

The only major problem was disembarkation in ports but being that we were on deck 1, we easily merged with the traffic and got off of the boat. Higher up decks I could see where that would be a problem.

Sure it was crowded at times, but a cruise is what you make of it and we had a great time.