Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Default Newbie going on Splendor next week & needing tips, etc.

I just found this message board today. You all are super!!!! I've read a lot but still have a questions about things to do in the ports. Any tips or advice for the ship, etc.

My husband & I leave next Sunday (1/17) for the Mexico. He's never been on a cruise & it's been many years for me. Neither of us have been to our ports (Cabo, PV & Maz.). We don't know where to go & what to do.

Any suggestions, advice or tips is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Admiral

First off welcome to cruisemates. I'm going on Splendor in May. I started this thread for all of us cruising splendor should be so good tips there. Splendor check in. Who is going on Splendor and when?

Puerto Vallarta has a resort called Dreams they offer a cruise day pass includes use of the resort, food, and drinks for $58 per person. Krystal resorts also in Puerto Vallarta allows cruiser to use the pool for free however, food and drinks will cost you. I was thinking of dumping my hubby by the pool here while I headed into the spa for a facial or massage. My hubby isn't a massage person. I just got this link for the spa and sent them an e-mail to request prices and other information. Here is that link.
Nail Care Millenium Spa Wellnmess Center

My plan for Cabo San Lucas is to hang out at Medano beach. It's a short water taxi ride from the pier. Cabo is your only tender port (the ship can't dock so the ran tender boat to bring people ashore) so allow yourself enough to catch the tendor back to the ship.

A lot of people are recommending Stone island in Mazatlan. My only worry is the restrooms have been descibed as rustic. I'm not sure what the means. However, for Stone island you walk out the terminal to the water taxi and take the water taxi to stone island. I was thinking of getting pesos just for the water and regular taxis. But I have heard they take US dollars also.
Here is a picture of the water taxi station.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Oh I forgot to say Queen Mary Hotel does early check in 9-11 AM for the Carnival Splendor passengers. You can check in and get rid of your bags then take a tour around the Queen Mary, which was an ocean liner and has been converted into a hotel. It is said to be haunted so watch out for ghosts. Queen Mary is docked walking distance from the Splendor.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Beginner

thank you!! I'll check out the links & places you listed.
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Admiral

Hi Cali - Welcome to Cruise Mates.
My wife & I did the cruise you are taking last October and had a blast, despite a slight deviation due to a hurricane. In PV we took a sailboat ride in Banderas Bay and swam it it's beautiful waters and in Cabo did Sea Treking. What a treat. Be aware that you will have three sea days, we found this very enjoyable and Carnival will provided you plenty of diversions.
A slight modification to my friend Kat's comment above. The early check-in is actually at the Carnival terminal not at the Queen Mary herself.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
Hi Cali - Welcome to Cruise Mates.
My wife & I did the cruise you are taking last October and had a blast, despite a slight deviation due to a hurricane. In PV we took a sailboat ride in Banderas Bay and swam it it's beautiful waters and in Cabo did Sea Treking. What a treat. Be aware that you will have three sea days, we found this very enjoyable and Carnival will provided you plenty of diversions.
A slight modification to my friend Kat's comment above. The early check-in is actually at the Carnival terminal not at the Queen Mary herself.
Good to know Bob. I would have been wandering around the Queen Mary looking lost.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994