Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 12th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Passenger

Default Cabin in front of ship

How is the ride?
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Familiar Face

I'd like to ask also. We are booking a suite for April on the Valor. Number 7249. How will the ride be?
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Admiral

You'll probably get a variety of answers , mostly telling you the front and back ride rougher, etc. and that the middle, lower down cabins have the best ride, etc.
Personally, I always book the cabin I want instead of going the guarantee route and I always pick a cabin closer to the front of the ship.
Just my personal preference.
It's not so much where you are on the ship--it's how rough or calm the water is. If the waters rough, you'll feel it. Remember it's a ship--it floats and rolls with the water --if it didn't , it would sink.
Re/ cabin 7249, if I were picking one, I would feel pleased to have that location. You have passenger decks above and below you so you won't have much noise such as from a disco, kitchen, pool area over or under you.
I'm going on the Dream in a few weeks and picked my cabin at the front, very near the bridge. After 30+ cruises, I learned to be particular in where I choose to be. But, that's just my personal preference-- as I said, you'll probably get a variety of answers. It's like an airplane seat--if the front gets there, the back and middle will too. Enjoy, even if you end up in the boiler room !!
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Captain

I was once on Caribbean Princess, one facing the front of the ship, Lido deck. Loved loved loved the cabin. We did feel the up and down movement a little. Not enough to be seasick, just once or twice when I bent over motion, like looking in a suitcase on the floor, I could feel it in the pitt of my stomach.

Iv been very forward on other cruises, once in over 25 ft waves and sure we felt it but the Lido deck was so bad, we had to walk hand in hand to cross. Once again Im forward coming up in about a week and a half, Empress deck this time.

Have you ever been in the front row of the theater and felt it?? Or had a seat in the very back of the aft dining room. Iv felt it both places. That will be similar to what you might feel. ... at least it will remind you that you are on a ship.
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:26 AM
First Mate

The ride shouldnt be much different from the back however you will experince heavy vibration and noise when the anchor drops in port.

MAY 2011 - CARNIVAL GLORY
MAY 2010 - CARNIVAL DREAM
MAY 2009 CARNIVAL FASCINATION
APR 2008 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JUN-2007 CARNIVAL SENSATION
NOV-2006 CARNIVAL LEGEND
APR-2006 CARNIVAL INSPIRATION
JAN -2000 CARNIVAL IMAGINATION
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Admiral

I think a lot of the noise people hear in port is not the anchor--it's the thrusters that maneuver the ship into it's docking space.
Notice the large ropes (usually blue ) that come from the ship to the dock and ties the ship in place-- not much need for an anchor to be dropped in a port where the ship is tied, front and back on both sides to bollards mounted in concrete on the dock.The ropes are dropped over the bollards, the electric winches on the ship winds in the slack, drawing the ship snug up against the dock. Sometimes when they have to tender
and can't dock they use an anchor but the amount of noise and vibration from anchors and / or thrusters is for a very few minutes--not long drawn out periods that would bother most people.
Old January 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Familiar Face

I sailed on the Splendor and Dream in Oct and Dec. I was on the Riviera deck and Main deck in the port hole rooms which are in the front of the ship.

Even when we hit rough seas, it was not bad at all, but I must admit on others advise I took Ginger pills daily.

Now, what did happened on both ships, daily was there extremely loud banging noise. It sounded like furniture was being thrown against the wall. I was told it was the waves hitting the front of the ship. Even when the anchors were lowered, it was loud but tolerable.

If you can stand these two things, you should be fine.

PJ
1995 Carnival Sensation
1996 Carnivasl Holiday
1997 RCCL Legend of the Seas
1998 Carnival Facination
2000 Carnival Celebraton
2001 Carnivasl Triumph
2002 Carnival Spirit
2003 and 2004 Conquest (2004 bingo winner)

2000 Carnival Celebration
Old January 13th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Passenger

Default Front of ship

I was on the Majesty, room 6500. If you stood up you saw the ocean and all the equipment below. It WAS nosier than other places I have been on ships. I usually rise fairly early so it didn't bother me, but it did wake me. I usually prefer midship with only cabins above me, but I will take any OV or balcony cabin for the right price. What I didn't like was the walk from the stairs/elevators.
terri
Old January 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Ron is correct, in that you'll only hear the anchor drop, or being raised in ports where you tender in. Having said that, when you hear the anchor drop, or rise, with that massive chain, YOU'LL KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IT IS! If you arrive at the port early,,as you very often will,,,,,,,well,,,,,let's just say that you'll probably be enjoying your coffee much earlier than you probably planned to. Fortunately, there is usually only one port, or so, that tenders on a normal seven day cruise, so if you're aware that you "may" hear the anchor, and plan for it, you won't be too shocked when it happens....

"SKY"
Old January 31st, 2010, 08:06 PM
Beginner

I just got off the Fantasy on the 16th of January. we did the guaranteed room even told it was an upgrade inner cabin. well 1 1/2 days of our trip was pretty rough especially the last day when we were supposed to be off the boat but could not because the weather was too bad to port. I did not care for the cabin right in the nose.

we were on the lido deck trying to get food to eat during the attempt at getting into the channel to go up to Mobile and I think the back of the boat would not have been such a good idea either.

the boat seemed calmer and less movement in the middle of the boat.
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

we had a front cabin last July on the Freedom with a window. it listed as an interior room but has a window and if you walk outside your cabin to the left or right you have a semi~private balcony (i say semi because although it is accessible to the public a lot of people don't know how to get there). the view was cool and the room very comfortable.

we had no problems.

i prefer a regular window but for the price we got on this we did not turn it down~and were not disappointed. i'd book this type of cabin again.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05