Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Familiar Face

Smile Passport or not?

I know this has been addressed many time before.... but just want to see if anything had changed.

My husband and I are going to take our 2 teens on a cruise to the Bahamas for their graduation gift. We plan on leaving out of Charleston - sometime in June. ( Have yet to pick a date ) We are letting them take 2 friends with them - so they will have someone to hang with.

Anyway - when we cruised last year - it was OK just to have a long form birth certificate and ID. I checked Carnivals website and this is what it states...
U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.
Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

We will be leaving and coming back to Charleston - so it will indeed be a closed loop. Before you guys start jumping on my about getting passports -- keep in mind that I have to get 4 of them. So we are looking at about 400 bucks extra -- before even heading out on the cruise. :eek:

SO ---- can anyone confim this for me? That all we need is a long form BC and a ID?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

puppydogeyessc,

The BC must have a Raised Seal or Original Stamp in order to be accepted and although it will be OK for the "closed loop" cruise you have to keep in mind that in the event you have to leave your cruise early and fly back to the U.S. a passport is required or it can cause some costly delays. You will have to do what you feel comfortable with doing.

Happy Sailing,
Mark

Read and post cruise reviews

Need some cruise help?
LIBERTY - 5/2013
SPIRIT - 9/2012 (PLATINUM)
INSPIRATION - 9/2012 (B2B)
PARADISE - 4/2010
VALOR -3/2010
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS - 10/2009
SPLENDOR - 4/2009
VICTORY - 4/2008
GLORY - 11/2007
ELATION - 6/2007
PARADISE - 10/2006
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Do your self a favor and get passports. I think it's something everyone should have.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Admiral

I found that having a passport makes it so much easier both for embarkation and diembarkation. And they are good for 10 years.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:44 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydogeyessc View Post
I know this has been addressed many time before.... but just want to see if anything had changed.

My husband and I are going to take our 2 teens on a cruise to the Bahamas for their graduation gift. We plan on leaving out of Charleston - sometime in June. ( Have yet to pick a date ) We are letting them take 2 friends with them - so they will have someone to hang with.

Anyway - when we cruised last year - it was OK just to have a long form birth certificate and ID. I checked Carnivals website and this is what it states...
U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required. Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.
Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking “closed loop” cruises, we strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

We will be leaving and coming back to Charleston - so it will indeed be a closed loop. Before you guys start jumping on my about getting passports -- keep in mind that I have to get 4 of them. So we are looking at about 400 bucks extra -- before even heading out on the cruise. :eek:

SO ---- can anyone confim this for me? That all we need is a long form BC and a ID?

Thanks in advance.
Let me answer your question without preaching.

Yes that's all you need. Enjoy your cruise.

Bill
Old January 15th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes: All you will need is the original birth certificate and government issued ID.

However: There is one other issue you will have to address. The friends of your children that you are taking with you. You will need a notarized letter from their parents granting permission for you to take them out of the country and giving you authority to make decisions regarding medical care and other matters concerning their well being. They will not be allowed on board without it.

The letter needs to be signed by both parents. If the kid's parents are divorced they will still need both parents to sign. If one parent has sole custody a copy of the custody agreement will also be needed. If one parent is deceased a copy of the death certificate will be needed.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Familiar Face

AHHHHH----

Thanks everyone.

And Mike --- thanks for bringing that up about the kids. That is something that I did not know..... I will make sure all of that is in order.

I knew I liked coming here for a reason.... hehe
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Passenger

We cruised the Ecstasy in November with licenses and birth certificates.

The lady that checked us in gave us a little smack about it, saying she would let us through "just this one time", but my parents who checked in at a different station did not experience this.

I think she was just trying to emphasize that a passport is the recommended document, but I really didn't appreciate the manner in which the emphasis was delivered.