Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Captain

Default Carnival Shareholder Credit

just curious who here knows what about this?

For those that do not know, if you own a minimum of 100 shares of Carnival stock, you can get a $100 shipboard credit (per stateroom, ie, you and your significant other can't have 100 shares each for a $200 credit) on a cruise from 7 to 13 days in length. It seems to read that there are no limits on the number of cruises you can redeem this for each year. Take 10 cruises a year, $100 shipboard credit on all 10 of them. There are also other ammounts for the shipboard credit for other sailing lengths.

I recently bought a 100 shares of Carnival stock for this purpose. Figured it would be a nice little perk for future cruises even though we only cruise on average of every 2nd year. So far I'm up over $200 on my investment if I sold this stock again today But, I think I will hang onto it long term. I believe, based on my cruise experiences that Carnival is a great company with a great product. Plus, hopefully some day the dividend returns and nets me a few bucks every quarter.

Anyway, back on topic, I was curious as to anyone here that has taken advantage of this program in the past, has any persepctive on where it's going? Do you think it will be continued? Any chance the ammount of the shipboard credit could go up? I mean Carnival killed their dividend last year, so maybe throw a little extra at their shareholders / repeat customers?

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Krunch:

It's a nice benefit and I have used it on each of my Carnival cruises. I don't know if I would buy 100 shares, at this time, just for the on board credit. When it was at $18 it was a great investment.

I am happy that Carnival hasn't put the restrictions that Royal Caribbean Lines has. You can no longer combine any on board credit or discounts. If you receive a Crown and Anchor credit then you cannot use the shareholders credit.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Admiral

We've used the stockholder credit many times. It's good on any Carnival product and we've used it on our Princess cruises.

I send in a copy of the Proxy Vote as proof of ownership.

I doubt that the credit will go up, but it might "disappear". It's voted on every year-so far so good!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM
First Mate

I've heard of this but have wondered how you "prove" your shareholder status.

Anybody know?
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbopolo View Post
I've heard of this but have wondered how you "prove" your shareholder status.

Anybody know?
Send in a copy of your monthly statement. Thats what I do. Or send in a copy of the purchase if its recent. Something that shows you own the stock with your name on it. I email a pdf file to Carnival guest solutions.

To the OP, if Carnival isnt making enough money to reinstitute the dividend, chances are slim and none to me they would raise the amount of OBC.

PS, you only get $50 on short cruises.
Old January 15th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I've been doing it for 4-5 years.

I just sent in the info on Monday for Sundays cruise. It will be there, at least it always has been in the past.

Easy to do. I print my positions holdings from the brokers online website, mark out my account number, circle my name and circle the Carnival stock and fax it into Carnival.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 15th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

You should also take a copy of your statement with you on the cruise - you are supposed to be a shareholder at the time you book and cruise. You can't just buy it for a day.

I was telling people to buy cruise stocks when they were at $11/share Cruise travel looks like a good deal in 2009 - SFGate - Page 4 Recorded in SF Chronicle Sept 11, 2009.

I was chastised by some other "reporters" who said I had no right to recommend a stock when the market was tanking (I won't say who said that, but I received some nasty email). If you had bought 100 shares then you would be up $1700 on an investment of $1100. That about 150% return in one year.

Now they did go lower, down to $6.00/share, and I also told people to buy them at that price. They then both start climbing almost steadily higher with RCL around 28 and CCL around 34 right now.

Right now cruise stocks are somewhat stuck in a trading range and I am not in the market at all, but I will say I trade a fair amount and both cruise lines were very good to me, as were a lot of other stocks in 2009.

And yes, I have used my shares to get onboard credit.
Old January 26th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Captain

Thanx everyone for the replies! I don't know why, but I got no emails of anyones post to my thread. Glad I remembered to look it up again!

So, I am booked on an 8-day cruise, so that's worth $100.

While it would have been nice to buy CCL or ANY stock for that matter on its lows, there was a lot of uncertainty at that time and hence a lot of people feared the markets. Plus, I had an average cost of $0.143 on SIRI and took 1/2 off the top when it hit $0.60

WRT the dividend, well, announced last week, it is indeed on it's way back and effective March IIRC will start again at $0.10. Nothing to write home about, but a start nonetheless.

Based on previous experience, I believe carnival is one hell of a company. I have another 20 years before I retire, by then, maybe CCL stock will be worth a lot more and my $32.30 per share cost will sound like a real bargain at that time, the dividend much higher. Over the years between shipboard credits and dividends, hopefully I'll do OK with owning a hundred shares of this stock. I will keep an eye on it over time and re-evaluate as necessary, but I'm only 35 years old right now

Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Looks like you did well krunch and now CCL will be paying a dividend.

I wanted to pop back on and say that my shareholder OBC wasn't on my account when I got on the Conquest for the Snooze Cruise. Sometimes it doesn't show until 2nd day and I did bring my paperwork so on the Tuesday I dropped by Guest Services and asked them to check for me. They did and I had the OBC before the end of the cruise. Doesn't hurt to take your documentation with you-just in case!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
We've used the stockholder credit many times. It's good on any Carnival product and we've used it on our Princess cruises.

I send in a copy of the Proxy Vote as proof of ownership.

I doubt that the credit will go up, but it might "disappear". It's voted on every year-so far so good!
Well now you answered by question before I even asked it. My dad owns 100 shares of Carnival. I was wondering if the OBC applied to any Carnival owned cruise like Princess. Glad to here it does. My parents were thinking of doing a cruise to the Panama Canal or Hawaii.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994