CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Does what you wear to work affect cruise attire ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/370949-does-what-you-wear-work-affect-cruise-attire.html)

Thoth January 18th, 2010 02:00 AM

Does what you wear to work affect cruise attire ?

8-)Some claim thar since they must wear a tie to work everyday, that they enjoy leaving formal wear at home during vacation.
My life is the other way around. At work I dress down...often in shorts and a t-shirt, so on vacation I sure enjoy dressing up for a change.
I have a quasi-tux among other items that I wear only on a cruise.8)

skymaster January 18th, 2010 08:27 AM

No, not really, for me. Those of you who know me, know that I'm pretty much a laid back, easy going type of guy anyway. I still wear a suit and tie on "formal" nights, but I retired the tux several years ago. I guess it's still hanging in the closet somewhere! :roll: I just retired, but at work I wore a suit for many years (IBM) then the job attire got more casual as the years went on. In the last few years, I could even go to work in decent looking jeans, and a collared pull over shirt if I was in the mood for that. HMMM,,kind of like the cruise ship attire changes over the years,,,isn't it? rofl

"SKY"

nighthawk65 January 18th, 2010 08:38 AM

No, not for me. I wear khaki shorts and polo shirts at work and shorts and t-shirts at home, that is the way I've been for aslong as I can remember. I loved it when Carnival dropped their Formal Nights, I just can not get comfortable in a suit and tie. I do however wear a suit and tie when it is required by the cruise line.

Happy Sailing:)
Mark

Donna January 18th, 2010 09:06 AM

Nope, doesn't make any difference to me. I have "cruise" clothes always ready, just need to be packed. I have no problem dressing up once or twice during a cruise. I think people make too much of it and if they just did it, they may find they enjoy it.

Mike M January 18th, 2010 09:07 AM

Yes: When I was working my standard uniform was Dockers and button up or Polo type shirts and a suit when visiting a customer site or representing the company in a business capacity.

My cruise uniform basically turned into work clothes. During the day I wore basically what I would wear at home; shorts, t-shirts, tennis shoes.

It was nice, in a way, that I could just grab some "work clothes" and put them in the suitcase and I was ready to go. I still have a rule that there are no "cruise clothes". If I can't or don't feel comfortable wearing it at home then I won't buy it for a cruise.

Take care,
Mike

green_rd January 18th, 2010 09:24 AM

I work from home - so it sweats and a t-shirt unless I'm traveling. I don't mind cruise formal, but have never owned a tux so it is a suit. I dress pretty casually for church so it's kind of fun to put the suit on for something other than a wedding or funeral.

ShotoJuku January 18th, 2010 11:55 AM

Living in Florida I am usually in a aloha shirt, shorts, and sandals and at work I wear a uniform. So in retrospect my attire doesn't really alter as I'm in shorts and such during the day and I wear a shirt and tie at night for dinner.

Michelle1959 January 18th, 2010 03:08 PM

I wear jeans at work and rarely get all dolled up - while my son and I didn't dress up for formal night in 07 on Sensation, I plaN to wear a long blue halter dress for formal night when I cruise in 2 months with my mom on Imagination. It will be fun though I won't stay dressed up all nightl We will do the photos, have dinner then change into something more comfy for the rest of the night

Thoth January 19th, 2010 01:08 AM

Not here right now, but in the past this dress code thing kind of gets blown out of proportion.
While actually on a ship, I can't recall dress ever being an issue.

Irish Girl January 19th, 2010 05:44 AM

I had to dress up for school and work for so many years that I hate to dress up now.

My idea of dress up now is basic black, you can never go wrong with the old standard.

Thoth January 23rd, 2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irish Girl (Post 1268944)
I had to dress up for school and work for so many years that I hate to dress up now.

My idea of dress up now is basic black, you can never go wrong with the old standard.

True...it isn't that hard. That's the good thing about Carnival.

Cruisebunny7 January 23rd, 2010 01:38 PM

I wear a uniform to work...when I am actually working, but when I work from home I am in comfy "mom clothes". Definatly LOVE to dress up for formal night, the flight attendant/travel agent loves to gussy up and the Marine hates it...go figure. :mrgreen:

by_the_board January 24th, 2010 12:50 PM

I'm now retired but when I worked I had to wear an ugly *ss uniform. On my past cruises I always wore a tux. My upcoming cruise I will dress down to a sportcoat, shirt and tie. I hate that cruising traditions are fading fast.

2Littletime January 24th, 2010 02:32 PM

Personally, I do my best to dress formally on formal nights and for dinner in the dining room. However, I must say that the fact that I dress up every day for work does mean that I tend to dress down as often as possible on a cruise. We often skip the formal dining room simply because I just don't feel like getting dressed up and we are still of the opinion that to dress down in the dining room isn't really polite. I love the fancy parts of cruising but I have to admit, there is a part of me that would be very happy not to see a high heal shoe for an entire week ; )