Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Passenger

Default Changes in formal nights??

I have read on a few posts there have been changes in the formal night attire. Is this correct? I am busting my butt to get into my suit and regardless of the changes will meet this goal and wear the suit but would like to know if now there will be a lot more casual dressers. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:53 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankP View Post
I have read on a few posts there have been changes in the formal night attire. Is this correct? I am busting my butt to get into my suit and regardless of the changes will meet this goal and wear the suit but would like to know if now there will be a lot more casual dressers. Thanks!
I am not even sure why they have formal night anymore given some of the dress you see on the ships, particularly the men.

For the most part, it seems like the women at least wear something upscale, but I see more and more men going without jackets - and plenty without ties even.

The days of the tuxedo and evening gown are mostly over, although you will see some couples who still subscribe to FORMAL.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree, women do tend to dress up more than the men do. My husband usually wears at least a sportcoat, but he has put on some weight since last time and will have to go with shirt and tie this time around I think you should wear your suit after all your hard work! Who cares if you are the most dressed up...you will just have to show them how to work a suit!

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:47 AM
Admiral

Carnival lowered the dress code requirements and change the name from formal night to elegant night. My hubby still wears his tux. He is one of the few that does. We drive into port so know baggage concerns.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Captain

My hubby too still wears his tux. It is about the only time he gets to wear it. As a matter of fact it is packed and ready to go as I type. We leave tomorrow to fly to Tampa for our Sunday departure on the Legend.

Old January 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Frank, I hope you reach your goal, but if you don't, grab your sport jacket, some nice pants, a tie and go and enjoy!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 21st, 2010, 09:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

In the past few cruises I have been on in the past year it seems with each cruise things get more relaxed. My daughter and I enjoy the formal night and dress as we always have..with formal wear. Most of the guys just had long sleeved dress shirts and pants on. I actually saw one man with jeans on on formal night. I wish the cruise lines would just make one dining room completely relaxed and the other more formal and you be able to request which one you would like to dine in for your cruise-that way everyone would be the way they would like to be dressed and not have to think about it.
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

As someone else pointed out there are no more formal nights on Carnival. They are now known as elegant nights, and for a man slacks and a dress shirt are all that are required for the "dress code". Personally I am one of the "you'll-never-see-me-anywhere-near-a-tux" people. On elegant nights I'm in dress slacks, dress shirt, and I do usually wear a tie - though as soon as dinner is over and we're out of there it's coming off.

Carnival Conquest April 2008
Carnival Conquest April 2009

Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:29 AM
Familiar Face

I love to put on a suit and tie but the only time I do put it on is on elegant evenings aboard a cruise ship. I will be going on the Victory in Feb and you can be sure I will take 2 suits with me for both elegant evenings.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
First Mate

I just dont understand why some people get upset when some folks don't dress up. I have no problem sitting across the table from someone in a golf shirt and slacks, or a woman with capri's, dressy tee and nice sandles. I love to watch everyone getting family pics taken on formal night. Its like the red carpet to me. I love seeing the new fashions. I usually get ready for dinner early and go to the lobby and pepole watch.

In my opinion, when you're on vacation, you're on vacation. As long as someone is clean and neat, what difference does it make?
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair View Post
I just dont understand why some people get upset when some folks don't dress up. I have no problem sitting across the table from someone in a golf shirt and slacks, or a woman with capri's, dressy tee and nice sandles. I love to watch everyone getting family pics taken on formal night. Its like the red carpet to me. I love seeing the new fashions. I usually get ready for dinner early and go to the lobby and pepole watch.

In my opinion, when you're on vacation, you're on vacation. As long as someone is clean and neat, what difference does it make?
"Amen Sista!"

I enjoyed the formal night and enjoyed being formal but it did not matter to me at all that there were others that were "not so formal".

Ships I've Sailed:

Carnival Fascination July 6th 2009

Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:40 AM
david30101

I wear a Tux on the longer cruises, afterall it does have all the Carnival ships pins on it and does start a conversation expecially from the crew staff. On the shorter cruises I dont take the Tux. The 5 day im talking in April, im wearing a nice shirt and a black Utilikilt..
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
I wear a Tux on the longer cruises, afterall it does have all the Carnival ships pins on it and does start a conversation expecially from the crew staff. On the shorter cruises I dont take the Tux. The 5 day im talking in April, im wearing a nice shirt and a black Utilikilt..
Where are you going on the 5 day cruise? I think were you cruise also determines how dressy you are. On my Europe cruise people were more dressy than on my Mexican cruise.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTodd View Post
As someone else pointed out there are no more formal nights on Carnival. They are now known as elegant nights, and for a man slacks and a dress shirt are all that are required for the "dress code". Personally I am one of the "you'll-never-see-me-anywhere-near-a-tux" people. On elegant nights I'm in dress slacks, dress shirt, and I do usually wear a tie - though as soon as dinner is over and we're out of there it's coming off.
Hello Todd !
I'm the other way...I love to dress nicely for a cruise. Even though others may not be in a suit, I'm still going to wear it just for kicks.
Sometimes I may feel over-dressed, but Oh-well. ;-)

/ticker.png">
Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistagoldenhair View Post

I'm with you. How others dress isn't that big of concern, as long as they make an effort.
Of course there is the concern that someday the dress code will be merely..."no shirt...no shoes...no service"

/ticker.png">
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:28 PM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
Where are you going on the 5 day cruise? I think were you cruise also determines how dressy you are. On my Europe cruise people were more dressy than on my Mexican cruise.
Im going to Cozomel and Calica Mexico on Fantasy Apr 19th 2010. To me, its not the type of cruise destination as to the way I dress for formal nights. Its who im with and how long the cruise. Taking a Tux and shoes, means taking a extra bag. On a short cruise (under 7 days), I just wear something "decent" and only take one medium sized suitcase and a carry on bag. Plus im going alone..The longer trips I take a Tux since I will be with other family members, etc.
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:31 PM
david30101

Also, those shorter cruises out of mobile attracts more rednecks and causual type of people then say a cruise of 7 days or more from miami. etc. Not that im a redneck....This is my first one from Mobile.
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:22 AM
Admiral

I'm old school..I dress for my girlfriend (or in your case it would be your wife)..if she likes to dress up , then continue your effort to look good in your suit and compliment her outfit...it will make her feel special to have her husband be at her side and have the formal picture taken..I'm sure she will reward your efforts later

on the other hand, if your wife is more comfortable not dressing up, then you do the same....on a cruise, it's all about what makes her happy IMHO
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Admiral

I think that dressing for dinner, whether it's formal/elegant night or not is entirely up to each person and their mood that night.

On my 1st cruise with my then 14-yr old son, we just wore shorts and t's - of course we didn't eat in the dining room, but we had a 'formal night" photo taken anyway...

But on this month's cruise with my mom' I'm wearing a little black dress and heels. it will be fun to play dress-up, since I have rare occasion to do so. I never care about who else vis wearing what.

My vacation is all about me, not anyone else!!
Old March 16th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
Also, those shorter cruises out of mobile attracts more rednecks and causual type of people then say a cruise of 7 days or more from miami. etc. Not that im a redneck....This is my first one from Mobile.
Mobile seemed to had the nicest and most well mannered passengers of my cruises. More than one member of the crew told me that they feel that way.
5 day cruises do seem to attract more party animal types though.

/ticker.png">
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:25 PM
First Mate

Here we go again! relax the code, relax the code, relax the code anymore and you will be permitted to wear sweat clothes and flip flops. If I want to see trashy dress I'll go to wall mart late at night.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Passenger

Default "elegant nights"

after 5 cruises in the past 10 years im finally NOT taking a suit. sportcoat and a pair of dress pants and no tie. this is my time and my vacation. formal dress are for black tie affairs. my wife is not even taking a dress this time around. i think the biggest reason cruise lines have "elegant" nights is so you'll have more pictures taken and buy the $22.00 8x10. im not trying to be a fuddy duddy, i love cruising and really enjoy carnival but they really need to do away with so many of the pictures. (i know thats a new subject)
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:38 AM
First Mate

The last 3 cruises its getting alot more relaxed in the dress up department, and alot that do dress up go back to the cabin after dinner and change back into shorts. Thats my game plan, that makes everybody happy. I must say the cruise last week there were some looked like they just came in from feeding the cowsm well maybe not that bad but it made ya think.