CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Seasickness Remedy (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/371014-seasickness-remedy.html)

averrette January 19th, 2010 08:16 PM

Seasickness Remedy

We went on the Holiday and were deathly ill, so next time we went on the Conquest (bigger ship, less motion) and were deathly ill, then we went on the Sensation and took Dramamine every 4 hours everyday, and we were not sick, but it was expensive to buy and a pain to take every 4 hours. Then we found some sea sick pills online and went on the Splendor and never even felt sick.
They are called Meclizine HCI 25 mg. We ordered them on drugstore.com. 100 pills for like $5.99. They are like baby asprin. They are chewable and you take them one time a day. We had no drowsy side effects or anything. If you get seaksick, I would suggest you get some of these. We always got car sick and we bought them and tried riding in the back of the car and they worked great. Just a suggestion because I know how bad it can be to be sick on a cruise.

skymaster January 20th, 2010 09:01 AM

Congratulations! You found Meclizine! (Same as Bonine, only lots less expensive if you buy qty. 100) This is exactly what the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) has been taking while cruising for years now. No problems at all, and very inexpensive. (You can get them at most any drug store ie: Walgreens etc. over the counter)

"SKY"

Boatingmom January 23rd, 2010 06:19 PM

Can you drink alcohol if you take bonine?

Fern January 23rd, 2010 07:10 PM

According to the info you should "limit alcohol", whatever that means (have 5 drinks instead of 6? LOL )

Here's a link to the info about Meclazine (Bonine) :
Bonine Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

skymaster January 24th, 2010 08:53 AM

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) drinks (not to excess) while taking Meclizine, with no problems. She has cut back from two bottles of vino a night to only one! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!! rofl

"SKY"

Gail4cruising January 24th, 2010 07:35 PM

You can a bottle of like 50 or 100 otc motion sickness pills at walmart for about 5 or 6 dollars. It is generic Meclizine. The expensive route is the scoplamine patches that you wear behind your ears. Some people have side affects from the patch though.

catty February 1st, 2010 10:38 PM

Patch behind the ear is the only thing that works for me. I have vertigo and that is all that works on cruises for me...:eek:

Nothin but blue skies March 26th, 2010 03:38 PM

I have tried the prescription patches and while they work well, I have to wear them for a week after I return due to vertigo. I switched to the "Less Drowsy" Dramamine several cruises back and have used it every time for 16 cruises. I take one before bedtime the night before I sail and then take 1 a day around dinnertime. You can take them every 12 hours if needed, but the 24 hour dose usually works fine for me. If I do have any drowsiness at all from them it is fine, since I take it late in the day.

jackieb March 26th, 2010 05:00 PM

generic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gail4cruising (Post 1269937)
You can a bottle of like 50 or 100 otc motion sickness pills at walmart for about 5 or 6 dollars. It is generic Meclizine. The expensive route is the scoplamine patches that you wear behind your ears. Some people have side affects from the patch though.

What is the generic name? I've always used the patches when we cruise but if I can get a bottle of 50 or 100 I can also use it when my husband drivesLOL

Fern March 26th, 2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackieb (Post 1282477)
What is the generic name? I've always used the patches when we cruise but if I can get a bottle of 50 or 100 I can also use it when my husband drivesLOL

Hi Jackie, ask for Meclizine HCI 25 mg at your pharmacy. I never thought of the "extra" use :D ! Great idea!

REDWITCH 13 March 30th, 2010 01:31 PM

We have used Sea Bands. They can be bought at any Pharmacy and I have seen them at Wal-Mart and Target.

The have no drugs in them at all and work wonders.

Darlene

dhudd March 30th, 2010 02:12 PM

My wife usually gets seasick. Prior to each cruise, she obtains a perscription from her Doctor and gets the patch, (Scopolamine). That realy works for her. Also we always book a stateroom that is in the middle / middle of the ship. That way you don't feel the motion as much. I'm use to being slamed & banged around, I'm a prior "U.S. Navy Destroyer Sailor". We use to take almost 45 degree rolls and we would see "Green Water" over the forward 5" gun. Sometimes our bow of the ship would disappear underwater. Those were the days, many more stories.

jackieb March 30th, 2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern (Post 1282501)
Hi Jackie, ask for Meclizine HCI 25 mg at your pharmacy. I never thought of the "extra" use :D ! Great idea!

I just went to pharmacy a bought some meclizine tablets less drowsy formula. If I take this at night will it leave me feeling druged in the morning? I'm also going to take a couple of patches just in case. The plane ride seems to bother me more than the ship.:confused:

Fern March 30th, 2010 07:09 PM

Jackie, I've never taken meclizine myself, but I've read that it doesn't leave you groggy like regular Dramamine.

Be sure to read about the side effects of the patch and DON'T touch your eyes after putting it on until you wash your hands well.

I'm not a fan of flying, but I try to imagine we're on the ocean instead of in the air :D! A 2mg Valium doesn't hurt, either... .