Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Upgrade at port??

Does anyone know if you can get upgraded at check in if you ask? Similar to asking for a first class upgrade availabilty with the airlines at the gate. I know the ship is not full, and that there are several suites and balcony rooms available...do you think they would do a comp. upgrade if we asked??

Read and post cruise reviews

Booked :razz:
NCL Sun - November 2011
Disney Dream - December 2012 *Honeymoon*

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
Carnival Triumph - January 2010
Carnival Glory - April 2007
Carnival Inspiration - July 2006
NCL Star - April 2003
Carnival Sensation - April 1998
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Admiral

You can always ask but my experience is that they will say that the ship is full. The passengers they choose to upgrade are notified prior to sail date.
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What kind of cabin do you currently have? It doesn't hurt to call your travel agent and see what an upgrade would cost, that sometimes isn't much...Better chance that way than at the pier.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 21st, 2010, 07:56 AM
Passenger

I remember reading posts where people have done it at the port, but never knew anyone personally that did. Maybe those deals are long gone.

I've been looking into getting an upgrade, but it's a huge difference for small upgrade. I already paid for a balcony cabin, I was hoping to get one of the larger balconies. But I'm not sailing until March, 21st. I'm hoping that as I get closer and if it's not full, I might have a better chance.

I see you are cruising shortly, if you contact the TA and get an upgrade for free or a small price, can you let us know?

thanks
Old January 21st, 2010, 02:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Right now we have an interior, we just booked the lowest we could get as we weren't sure if the sailing date was even going to be possible for us with my husbands work schedule. We usually get oceanview/balcony but we did not want to spend alot up front if we had to end up cancelling in the end. I called and left a message with my TA this morning, but she has not gotten back to us yet. I am a TA so I know there are rooms in all catergories available AND we sail in a week. I would think that since there are rooms available that a resonable upgrade would be available.

NCL Sun - November 2011

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
NCL Star - April 2003
Old January 21st, 2010, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

ok...I have no patience so I called Carnival. They said that all I would have to do for an upgrade at port is check in as usual with the dock and then once onboard we report to Guest Services where they can complete the upgrade. The agent said that sometimes it is a complimentary upgrade, but for some you have to pay. So we shall see how it goes...I will be the group ginuea pig!!

NCL Sun - November 2011

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
NCL Star - April 2003
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:20 PM
Captain

As others have said, they dont give upgrades at check in or very very very rarely. I have 9 Carnival cruises now and I can tell you it has never once worked for me. There were some who really wanted to change cabins, to the point of yelling about not getting what they asked for .. and they were not accomodated. You can pay to upgrade, the full price, they dont dicker, but they dont upgrade you once on the ship is my experience.

Some where in the FAQs it says ships sail full, dont ask. They also put up a sign they are full, even if they arent. They always keep a few cabins empty in case of flooding or other emergencies.

IMO (just my opinion), whomever you spoke to who said sure go ahead and ask, knew darn well they almost never upgrade you if you ask on the ship. They were giving you a easy answer.
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM
Captain

Just one more point ... right now if they have empty suites and balconys they wish to fill, they are calling customers from the upsell dept. Carnival does upsells until they fill the higher up cabins they want to sell and they will drop the price until they sell them. thats you best bet to get a discounted upgrade, call the upsell dept, or wait for them to call you. They will start calling with the higher categories, so might not get to interiors, but they might if there are that many empty cabins.

Here is a email Christopher Azamar CAzamar@Carnival.com 1-800-438 6744 I have two extensions X 82713 and X 40270, I think first one is for Christopher and second is for Chris.

If they have upsells they will give you the discounted rate, if they dont they will launch into the full price to upgrade spiel.
Old January 21st, 2010, 04:46 PM
First Mate

In FAQ section of CCL

Upgrade Information
Opportunities to purchase an upgrade in your accommodations are available prior to the sailing date, subject to availability. Regrettably, we cannot accommodate requests for upgrades on the day of sailing because we sail full.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 08:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everyone for the input, and thanks for the phone numbers Flowers! After discussing my options with my TA we have decided to just stay where we are. It is only a 4 day so an interior stateroom will not drive me that crazy, plus, the only "upgrade" we could get would be an interior room one deck up. At this point I don't care where we sleep...we leave in 4 days and cruise in 5!!!

NCL Sun - November 2011

Cruised
Monarch OTS - June 2010
NCL Star - April 2003