Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Passenger

Default Key West recommendations please

Any good suggestions on where to eat in Key West? We would like some good seafood, drinks and key lime pie. Any suggestions on where not to go as well. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I don't recall any specific restaurants we ate in, but I can tell you I definitely DO remember getting some frozen key lime pie on a stick. DELICIOUS!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

It has been several years since I vacationed in Key West. May I suggest Conch Republic Seafood Company. I believe they have a web site. The food and drinks were good. They are located on the Harborwalk. It is an open air restaurant on the water at the large marina. It is a short walk from the cruise ship.
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Key West has a lot of funky restaurants and bars. The restaurant we like best for ambience, drinks and good food is Dante's on Caroline Street. They are located next to the Half Shell Raw Bar (over rated) and have a raw bar and happy hour. If you are going to be there at lunch time, I believe happy hour and live entertainment kicks in at 4:00 p.m. The best thing about this open air restaurant (other than the food and cold beer) is the huge pool in the middle of the restaurant you can use while you are dining (especially popular with children). Their fish tacos are great and peel and eat shrimp yummy. In our opinion, Dante's is one of Key West's best places to kick back for a couple of hours where you can drink, eat delicious food and swim in a great pool, you won't want to leave. It is an easy walk from downtown. They have a web site if you want to check it out: dantes-keywest.com

If you go there, you'll pass Schooner Wharf Bar, a real funky place on the waterfront with live entertainment, worth a quick stop for a wet one. Don't stop at A&B Lobster House, over priced and over rated.

The best key lime pie can be had at the Blond Giraffe on Front Street (stop in on your way back from lunch)....WONDERFUL key lime pie (they have won numerous awards. You can purchase a whole pie or a piece (with meringue or whipped cream topping) or chocolate covered frozen key lime pie on a stick. This location is the Blond Giraffe factory and you can watch the workers making the pies behind a clear wall.
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I went looking for the name of the place where we had the best conch fritters,and I found this site...Dining & Restaurants in Key West, Florida, Fla, Fl. and I "think" it was the Rooftop Cafe, not sure though....this site also gives you, menus, and price ranges..enjoy, and have some fritters, and, key lime pie for me

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 25th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Admiral

IMO, It's hard to go wrong in Key West. Almost every bar/restaurant we stepped in to, had not only excellent food, but a GREAT little band, or combo playing. It's a fun spot IMO.

"SKY"
Old January 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Admiral

I love the Conch Fritters from here + you can keep strolling around! It's by the aquarium.

Old January 27th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
IMO, It's hard to go wrong in Key West. Almost every bar/restaurant we stepped in to, had not only excellent food, but a GREAT little band, or combo playing. It's a fun spot IMO.

"SKY"
Couldn't agree more it was fun to just explore a bit and see what the Port had to offer. Stumbled upon quite a few nice places.
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Old January 28th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Passenger

Thanks! The pictures bring it alive. I am going to check that place out, the fritters sound great and the prices are good!
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

My favorite place in Key West is Kelly's Caribben Bar.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 28th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

FYI>

I have lived in Florida for 55 years and have vacationed in the Keys numerous times. Conch is a protected species in Florida. All conch comes from Central America or the Caribbean. Seafood fraud is so rampant in Florida that any "grouper" dish for less than $15 should be viewed as suspicious. Many times you are eating some other species of inferior fish.Where I live a pound of conch meat sells for more than a pound of lobster. So 'cheap' conch fare is either a fraud or there is so little conch meat in them that all you really are eating is a hush puppy. Sad but true.

Buyer beware!

The best conch fritters and conch burgers that I have consumed are found in the Abacos, Bahamas. Outside of the restaurant will be a pile of old conch shells. Usually there is someone outside cleaning the conch, no easy task.
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by by_the_board View Post
FYI>

I have lived in Florida for 55 years and have vacationed in the Keys numerous times. Conch is a protected species in Florida. All conch comes from Central America or the Caribbean. Seafood fraud is so rampant in Florida that any "grouper" dish for less than $15 should be viewed as suspicious. Many times you are eating some other species of inferior fish.Where I live a pound of conch meat sells for more than a pound of lobster. So 'cheap' conch fare is either a fraud or there is so little conch meat in them that all you really are eating is a hush puppy. Sad but true.

Buyer beware!

The best conch fritters and conch burgers that I have consumed are found in the Abacos, Bahamas. Outside of the restaurant will be a pile of old conch shells. Usually there is someone outside cleaning the conch, no easy task.
Good information--thanks. Yes, I recall the conch fritters at the Conch Republic to be pretty much just 'hush puppies'. Didn't see the big deal about them.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.