Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Proposing in 6 days....Nervous, Excited, Help!

Hi all,
First time cruiser, first time poster. Me and my GF are sailing on the Carnival Liberty 1/30/10 and I want to propose to her. I have the ring already and its burning a hole in my pocket. Also I am very nervous and want to propose on the first night so I can get it over with. She is kind of shy and reserved but I am loud and extroverted, so it could be a public engagement just not in front of a huge crowd. Here are a few ideas I had and if you could rate them on a 1-10 scale:

Big Big Big Screen idea:
Since the Liberty has that huge screen on deck I was thinking of talking to the cruise director (or whoever) and asking them to post a "will you marry me (name)" on the big screen at a designated time (say 7:00-7:05). I have a little speech prepared about our relationship and was thinking of walking around and eventually winding our way up to the top deck on the back that overlooks the TV. I would plan to end my speech right as they pop the question for me on the big screen maybe ask if they could pair it with our favorite song. I would ask to have a camera guy off in a corner to snap the moment.
I really like this idea, but it might be a little too public and there are so many things to plan that could go wrong.

Scaled down ideas (some stolen from other forums and sites):
-Same thing as above, just no jumbo tron. Right before dinner (preferably at sunset) we walk around and end up at the top most deck where I give my speech and pop the question.
-Ask for a tour of the Bridge, pop the question there, and have the captain blow the horn after she says yes. Could also help us get into the captains dinner.
-At dinner have our waiter deliver dessert with the ring on top. (a little cheesy and a little too public for me)
-Have a bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries delivered to our room and when we get back from dinner I pop the question in the privacy of our own balcony. (most private option)

I am completely open to suggestions as well. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20080725190201!Carnival_Liberty-sun_deck.jpg (5.6 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Admiral

I'm not shy so the first one is my favorite. I also like the idea of proposing at the welcome on board show. They tape the show so you would have a copy.

However, since she is shy these may not be the best ideas. I like this one out of the ones you listed. No jumbo tron. Right before dinner (preferably at sunset) we walk around and end up at the top most deck where I give my speech and pop the question. It's more about you and her.

I also like an idea you haven't listed a Scavenger hunt. Have her go around the ship founding clues (something to do with your life together) and at the end you are there with one rose, your speech, and the ring. I haven't been on the Carnival Liberty, But I have been on the Carnival Freedom deck 10 has quiet areas to propose. Good Luck.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 24th, 2010, 02:53 PM
First Mate

I like scaled down idea #2 best.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes !
Old January 26th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Passenger

I think no jumbotron either. To me, if I were being proposed to, I would want to hear the actual words come out of his mouth. Somehow having it printed or displayed somewhere isn't the whole deal.

Find some way to make it personal to her (and you!) I dont think it has to be an elaborate scheme, just heartfelt.
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Admiral

HEY, the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I will be sailing with you on "Liberty"! Look forward to seeing whatever you decide, (if it's public!)
I'd suggest seeking out the Cruise Director (go to the pursers desk and explain what you have in mind) and arrange for something to be done at the welcome aboard show. (First evening of the cruise) As noted above, it's filmed and is part of the "Cruise DVD" that they sell, so you'd have a permanent record of the event as well. Plus, you'd probably see it time and time again on the T.V. aboard ship, as they pick certain things that they film, and show them over and over on the T.V. to sell the DVD. Anyway, we look forward to seeing you aboard. We're going to have an informal meet-n-greet at the aft pool area (Lido Deck) right after the life boat drill, if you're interested. There'll be lots of GREAT folks there, and we'd love to meet you.

Ken
"SKY"
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Admiral

#3 is "too public" for a guy that wants to use the JumboTron. Unless, she has been dropping big hints I would skip the public activities just in case things go south very quickly. Sunset or champagne. If you must be public go the the marriage game show and maybe the CD would point you out.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Well I am for the Jumbo tron idea....I think any bride to be, would forgive your enthusiasm, and, be entranced by your efforts, & have a romantic story to tell for a lifetime..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 27th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I love the big screen idea,may-be get it filmed and put on the weekly cruise movie??

Let us know what you plan on doing and then when you return how it went...

Best of luck and I hope she says "YES"!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:05 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the help! 66 hours away from the big moment!!!
After some careful thought, I think I am going to go with the idea of just a simple, intimate, moment between the two of us at sunset on the first night. Although I like the jumbo tron idea, It will be too hard to coordinate the staff and time the moment, also I may think its a cool idea, but I don't want to overwhelm the poor girl.

The Plan:
Get on the boat, make up some excuse to talk to the cruise director, and ask him/her what they can do. Ideally I will ask if they can have a table and champagne waiting (flowers never hurt 8) ) along with a photographer. As we get ready for the night I will "tell her to get nice for the first night, you know, because we want to look nice and party"...At sunset, start a couple floor below/below deck and wander up the back staircase and end up on the sun deck right as I finish weaving my tale of love and pop the question?

And that all sounds nice and romantic but there are potential problems:
-Mother Nature does not want to help me out. As of right now, there are isolated thunderstorms and 30% chance of rain. Its looking to go more North then it was a couple days ago but if its cloudy/rainy/no good sunset...I will have to go to plan B which is to propose the next morning.
-I have no idea what the cruise director will be able to do and how willing they will be to help me. A table, flowers, champagne, and a photographer might be a lot to ask. I don't know if a little $$$ in the photographer or the cruise directors pocket will grease up the hinges.
-What time is the lifeboat drill? I will be seriously annoyed if I get cut off by the PR system or some loud horn.
-@Skymaster- Thanks for invite! We will try and stop by, just don't say congratulations or anything unless you see a big rock on her finger... the cone of silence must be persevered!

Thanks all, keep the advise and the regards coming, I will be checking via iphone until we leave port.
Regards,
Trig The Viking
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to ginnyanne Send a message via Yahoo to ginnyanne

I think the muster drill is usually just a little bit after you leave port, so if you are doing it in the evening I think you'll be okay.

This sounds amazing! I hope everything works out for you. You've done such a great job thinking up a wonderful way to make this special!
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:24 AM
First Mate

To me, you may want to start off the "official start" of your life together with some style and romance in a private setting rather than a circus like atmosphere. Save the jumbotron for the ballpark and create a special lifelong memory that you both will embrace together and forever.

Old January 28th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

That does sound like a good plan, hopefully you can speak to the staff and they will be able to help you out...Be sure to fill us in when you return..Best of luck and have a wonderful cruise.

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Admiral

Because she is shy I think you are making the right choice this will be more special to her. I wish you the best of luck. Just do it after the muster (lifeboat Drill). They have the drill before the early seating dinner.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old January 28th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Hey Trig,,,sounds like a GREAT plan. Stop on by our little meet-n-greet if you like. I won't say anything to the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) so she won't slip, and you can be assured I won't say anything either. Congrats on your plan. It's going to be a wonderful cruise for all of us, and an especially wonderful one for you two.
You shouldn't have to GREASE the photographers palm, as they jump at any chance to sell photos, and I don't think you'll have to slip the C.D. anything either, as he/she too is always looking for some special couple, or person aboard. I don't know who the C.D. is on our cruise, or perhaps I could help, as I know most of 'em. Hang in there, it's going to be a SUPER cruise, and once again, CONGRATULATIONS!

Ken
"SKY"
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

hope everything goes perfect for you two on that night have a great cruise!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the advise. Sorry to check back in late as I hope many of you were waiting for a reply.... She said yes!!! I proposed just like I planned on the first night right at sunset and Carnival was great about getting a bottle of champagne and roses up on the very windy deck 14. The whole experience was great and now we are planning our wedding for 11/11/11 and sailing on the Carnival Pride 11/13/11 for our honeymoon!!!

Good luck to anyone else out there popping the big question. Trust me, just get it over with and enjoy your vacation together!

The Viking
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

yayayay congrats!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 19th, 2011, 12:48 AM
First Mate

Default Well done

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the advise. Sorry to check back in late as I hope many of you were waiting for a reply.... She said yes!!! I proposed just like I planned on the first night right at sunset and Carnival was great about getting a bottle of champagne and roses up on the very windy deck 14. The whole experience was great and now we are planning our wedding for 11/11/11 and sailing on the Carnival Pride 11/13/11 for our honeymoon!!!

Good luck to anyone else out there popping the big question. Trust me, just get it over with and enjoy your vacation together!

The Viking
Just saw your notes and now do not have any comments to add but to say congratulations to both of you.
Now that you proposed in private, the both of you (her actually) can plan your wedding to include your outgoing style and her more reserved.
Do plan something silly to surprise her for your honeymoon cruise but do not embarrass her nor volunteer for the newly wed show.
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Why not do the newly wed game?!? Looked like fun on our cruise...
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:54 AM
First Mate

Default 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viking View Post
Why not do the newly wed game?!? Looked like fun on our cruise...
Ensure you have all the right answers though your wife to be might actually be enjoying tripping you or embarrassing you , who knows. Laughter keeps a marriage together
Sounds like you will enjoy it
Have a great wedding and cruise and all the preparations
Cheers
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old February 19th, 2011, 07:30 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Couldn't help but to chuckle here. There wouldn't have been much enjoyment on that vacation had she said no. I imagine why so nerve-racking to pop the big question...? Because there is always that chance she could say no. Glad she said yes and congratulations to you both on your upcoming wedding and honeymoon cruise!

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old February 19th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Congrads!

Was tracking this thread and was wondering how you were going to do it. As far as her saying "yes", I think most of us knew how our spouse to be would answer.
Nov.2005 CCL - Spirit
Aug.2007 PCL - Crown Princess
Feb.2008 CCL - Spirit
Oct.2009 CCL - Elation
Jan.2010 CCL - Splender
Feb.2011 CCL - Spirit (Cabo)
Jul. 2011 CCL -Spirit (Alaska)
Oct.2011 CCL- Dream-(W.Caribbean)
Feb.2012 CCL - Spirit ( Cabo)
Dec. 2012 CCL- Splendor ( Cabo)
Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Welcome Newcomer

YAY!!!! Congrats! And as a side note- #11 is my fav number- I am such a dork , wish my hubby and I could have used it!
Old February 23rd, 2011, 04:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
I also like an idea you haven't listed a Scavenger hunt. Have her go around the ship founding clues (something to do with your life together) and at the end you are there with one rose, your speech, and the ring..
love love this idea !