Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Question Serious Problems on the Destiny?

Hey Everyone!

I just booked last week for the Destiny's 5-night W Carib itinerary (Jamaica/Cayman) and was online today and noticed several reports of serious engine problems on board. Apparently there was a propulsion problem that started in September and the ship has had hit or miss reliability since then. Many guests have reported that the ship never made it to their scheduled ports or that they were very late.

Being late is one thing, but substituting stops in Freeport and Nassau instead of Grand Cayman and Ocho Rio's is what I'm concerned about. Have any of you CruiseMates been on board lately? Anyone know more about these problems?

I wish I'd known this last week before I booked but I've got my fingers crossed that things will turn out!
05/14/2008 Carnival Spirit (Glacier Bay - Alaska)
11/12/2007 Carnival Freedom (US Inaugural - W Carib)
02/01/2007 Celebration (Bahamas)
Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Yes, on the bright side for the Jan.25th sailing Carnival reportedly sent out an email offering a future cruise credit if you opted to cancel or $50 OBC if you retained your booking.

They have known about this problem for months. It has been an ongoing issue. There are rumors it will take a dry dock to fix. No one really knows because it doesn't seem they can get a straight answer from Carnival.

Someone even asked John Heald about it on his blog, I believe it was January 7th. He claimed at that point the problem was rectified. Obviously that is not the case. It is maddening because when people call in to inquire about their future booking, they are being told it will be repaired by then. Carnival has a clause in their contract stating that if they are aware they will miss ports in advance of the departure of your cruise they will offer you the opportunity to cancel and receive a future cruise credit. Which I am pretty sure they did not offer (at least to my knowledge) cancellation without penalty to any cruise prior to Jan.25th.

I have heard a lot of people are filing complaints with the Florida Attorney General and the BBB. Very poor form in my opinion.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Destiny is scheduled for a 2 week dry dock in February for a permanent fix. This results in some cruises being canceled/modified.
Old January 27th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Yeah they finally announced it yesterday afternoon. Johnathan posted something about it in another thread.

Read and post cruise reviews