Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2010, 05:05 PM
Admiral

Default best places to stop in Key West & Cozumel

till I cruise on Imagination. I now have a 160 gig ipod classic filled with a lot of my favorite songs, (still have 100 gigs free!) as well as cruise/sailing/beach and other appropriate holiday/vacation playlists. I will also rent a few movies to download and watch on it during my flights. My favorite song that I found is The Cruise by Barefoot Man. That song is hysterical!

We're just going to walk around on our own in Key West & Cozumel, no excursions.

We aren't interested in any restaurants or bars, so it would help if anyone can tell me about any musums, art galleries, fun places to get cheap souvenirs in either port. For example, I see that Cozumel has 1 museum and 2 art gallries that appear to be within walking distance of the port (3/4 of a mile or less). Has anyone been to them? Any similar places near the Key West port?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

In Cozumel your probably going to dock at Puerta Maya. It's not walking distance to town. The Cozumel museum is interesting, but doesn't get a lot of visitors, nor does it have real unique items. The best part is the cafe patio on the 2nd floor with a nice view of the Strait of Cozumel.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 01:15 AM
Admiral

You can walk around Key West and there is no shortage of arts and crap shops.

Here are some pictures from Hemingway House in Key West.

Carnival Freedom Cruise - Nov 30-Dec 6, 2008 - Key West - 2
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM
Admiral

Key West is one of the greatest cities in the U.S. and too often visitors don't take advantage of its rich history.

Options for you include visits to the fabulous Ernest Hemingway Home, the Shipwreck Museum with its 60' lookout tower (great view from up there of the harbor and the city), the Audubon House, Mel Fisher's Maritime Museum with all its treasures where you can hold a real gold bar in your hand, and the Harry Truman Little White House where President Truman vacationed. Thomas Edison also resided here during WWI and President Eisenhower recuperated from a heart attack in 1961. All of these wonderful places are within walking distance of the port/Mallory dock. You can also take a tour of Fort Zachary Taylor and spend some time at the adjacent beach.

Key West offers so much more than drinking and tacky souvenir shops, it is rich in history.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
In Cozumel your probably going to dock at Puerta Maya. It's not walking distance to town. The Cozumel museum is interesting, but doesn't get a lot of visitors, nor does it have real unique items. The best part is the cafe patio on the 2nd floor with a nice view of the Strait of Cozumel.

Hmm, thanks for the tip. Maybe we'll re-think doing the playa mia deluxe beach excursion after all. People have seemed to all give it a thumbs up!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
You can walk around Key West and there is no shortage of arts and crap shops.

Here are some pictures from Hemingway House in Key West.

Carnival Freedom Cruise - Nov 30-Dec 6, 2008 - Key West - 2

Thanks, and thanks for the photos - very cool!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetattoo View Post
Key West is one of the greatest cities in the U.S. and too often visitors don't take advantage of its rich history.

Options for you include visits to the fabulous Ernest Hemingway Home, the Shipwreck Museum with its 60' lookout tower (great view from up there of the harbor and the city), the Audubon House, Mel Fisher's Maritime Museum with all its treasures where you can hold a real gold bar in your hand, and the Harry Truman Little White House where President Truman vacationed. Thomas Edison also resided here during WWI and President Eisenhower recuperated from a heart attack in 1961. All of these wonderful places are within walking distance of the port/Mallory dock. You can also take a tour of Fort Zachary Taylor and spend some time at the adjacent beach.

Key West offers so much more than drinking and tacky souvenir shops, it is rich in history.
Rose, thanks, I definitely want to do the hemingway houswe and the tower also sounds fun... we really just want to walk around the dock area
Old February 4th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the feedback - we decided we'll do the hemingway house tour on our own, not through carnival - but we will do the playa mia beach excursion deluxe in Cozumel and just not eat the buffet food while there.

The maritime museum also sounds good so if we have time we'll also do that before heading back to the ship.

As always, I'm so happy I can count on the suggestions and experiences of my fellow CruiseMates to make the best possible decisions!