Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2010, 09:20 PM
Beginner

Default Party of 2 now Party of 1

Until about 2 hours ago I was excited and looking forward to my upcoming Carnival Sensation crusie next Sunday (Feb 7) My best freind just called and informed that she is not able to join me next week due to work.

I called Carnival and was told if I could find someone to go in her place in the next day or so I could just pay a name change fee (about $50.00). If I can't find anyone I can still sail solo ofcourse I would get no refund (which I completly understand)

Has anyone sailed solo before? I have gone with other people amny times so I know the ins and outs just never went alone. Any thoughts that anyone have would be great. The ship stops in Freeport which I have never been and Nassua where we spend the night, never been much of a fan and will mostly like not get off the ship.

Any thoughts you have for this 32 year old guy from the Orlando area would be great!

Happy Cruising!
Jeffrey
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2010, 09:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just cruised on Dream in Dec because my daughter at last minute could not go due to obligations at college. It was fine..would have preferred her to have went with me but I just went with open mind and had a great time. One thing about it...you do everything you want when you want and there are always others around you can talk to. Mine was a 7 day cruise and the only part I really didn't like was the drive down and back by myself (about 10 hours each way). I am most likely going alone again in April and plan on having a great time again!! I had payed almost 600 pp person for the cruise and didn't get any type of refund because it was too last minute and of the cabin we had (on Lido). Good luck!
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old February 1st, 2010, 11:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jeffrey>

You have been put in a tough situation with the late cancellation. By all means go and have the time of your life. Gail4cruising made a good point. You are free to do your own thing. Take advantage of the opportunity. You never know what might develop on the ship..you could make a new friend for life.

BTW I agree with your assessment of Nassau. IF I ever find myself on a cruise stop there I will stay on the ship.

Good Luck!
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM
Admiral

I went on a cruise once with my daughter and she was sick the entire length of the cruise and did not surface from our stateroom all week. I had a wonderful time by myself...met great people at our assigned table for dinner, frequented all the bars and entertainment venues alone and made new friends wherever I went.

Just go with an open mind, join in all the fun and you will meet some very interesting and wonderful people.
Old February 2nd, 2010, 10:36 AM
Captain

Just a quick note, that I thought I'd pass along. It is sometimes more to your benefit if you have a cabin booked for two that you don't bother trying to cancel the cruise for the person that cannot attend. We had a situation on one of our cruises where one of the couples in our group ended up not being able to go together. When she called to cancel his name off the cruise because he couldn't go they told her that she'd have to pay a supplement to cruise by herself if she took the refund. In the end, even though they were in the 50% refund time frame, it was cheaper just to lose the money they had already paid than it was to pay the single supplement. She wrote Carnival a letter on her return and pointed out how crazy this was and they promised to review the policy and they sent her a coupon book to use on her next cruise. This happened in 2007, so maybe it's changed but just be aware of it. Happy cruising even if you do end up going solo!
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old February 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
First Mate

Hi Jeffrey!

I have done a lot of solo travel in my 25 years of married life when DH can't get away. I got weary of doing road trips etc .... by myself so decided to see if a cruise is a good way to solo. Good new: it is indeed!

A great way, in fact. There is plenty to do and plenty of people to do it with. It's easy to meet people and you have an instant bond because you are "all in the same boat". I never felt lonely. And, as a previous poster said, I was able to do what I wanted when I wanted.

Another advantage (and this may be more gender-related) is that I always felt safe. Secure - might be a better word - as opposed to driving or flying from site to site where no one knew where I was. On a cruise, someone will notice you are missing, injured etc... right away.

So, my advice to you is to GO and have a great time!