Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Default "Liberty" was a GREAT cruise.

The lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) and I just returned from a fantastic week aboard "Liberty". GREAT cruise, with many ups and just a few downs. Weather was near perfect, food excellent, dining room service a little slow, with the staff obviously overworked, but still in great spirits. The ship was a bit warm at night, with many complaints about the lack of air conditioning in the cabins, but not so bad that it couldn't be compensated for. Superior entertainment, and in general a GREAT cruise. Any questions,,,ask away.

Ken
"SKY"
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Welcome Back Sky,
Its always nice to hear about a good cruise, glad you enjoyed it and the weather/food was good, makes a nice cruise even nicer.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Captain

I was just contemplating a cruise on the Liberty for April. I don't suppose you noticed/overheard anything about Camp Carnival? Our kids were a little disappointed on the most recent Fascination cruise and the cruise prior and I was curious if you'd heard anything? The quality of the Camp is so very dependant on the enthusiasm of that staff in that area that it seems to fluctuate widely not only from ship to ship but also from one trip on a ship to the next trip on the same ship.

Oh, and here's another one my middle daughter just piped up and asked "is there a midnight buffet outside on the Lido on any of the nights on the Liberty?"
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Ditto on the midnight buffet on the lido...maybe a Mexican themed buffet

Any explanation on the AC? I'll need it in May. Normally its cold in the cabin and the rest of the ship. Do I need to bring my box fan? lol
Celebrity Century, 1996, Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Destiny, 2001, Dutch Treat
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 2003, Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend, 2004, Exotic S. Caribbean
Carnival Liberty, 2010, Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Actually, we did hear some very positive comments about Camp Carnival. Some of the folks were having problems getting their kids to leave Camp Carnival, and come to dinner, etc., because they were having so much fun! If our cruise was any indication, and I suspect that it is, then I'd have no concerns at all about your children having a good time aboard. There were lots of children aboard during our cruise, and they ALL seemed to be having a GREAT time.
I perhaps didn't make myself clear about the a/c aboard. Yes, it was working, but it didn't seem to get as cool at night as we usually find it! It was comfortable if you kicked off the extra big comforter, and slept with just a sheet or even a sheet and a light blanket that they supply, but it wasn't cool enough to enjoy the big heavy comforter that they supply on the bed. I suspect that it was because it was cooler outside at night than usual, and therefore they didn't crank down the a/c as much. (Those with balcony cabins probably slept with the door open, and really enjoyed the cool evenings.)
Yep, we had the Mexican midnight buffet one evening aboard, and it was EXCELLENT! Other than that, they had the usual pizza, and the deli station was open until 11 P.M. as well. The frozen yoguurt and ice cream stations were also very very busy, at all hours of the night and day. Very good stuff indeed.

Ken
"SKY"
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

Sky--good to hear you had a good time. It isn't fun when the AC isn't wokring so well. I usually have the opposite problem, too darn cold. SZt night I am too darn hot under the covers with the AC at max, thus, I kick the quilt off and go with the thin sheet!!!

Did you go to Half Moon Cay/Grand Turk or the Western route...

I have to ask, is Alex still the maitre'd on the Liberty. I think he has the center dining room...can't miss him--tall, bald, well built (as in hits the gym hard), and Lithuanian....Very charming/charismatic......and cute...but Mrs Vita probably doesn't look cuz she found her Mr Right....

I'll be back on the Liberty in September, and I do hope that the hurricane season is light. This oddball winter we have had ought to be bizarre enough to have a easy (meaning none) hurricane season!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Nope, didn't see Alex in the forward dining room. The maitre'd was a "round" one, if you know what I mean. Maybe Alex will be back when you sail "Liberty" again.
We sailed the Western route, and never left the ship. The ship is the destination for us, as we've done most of the ports so many times.

Ken
"SKY"
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Familiar Face

We too loved the Liberty! My kids are 14 and 9 and they both enjoyed camp carnival. We had near perfect weather as well and loved the whole experience. Totaaly love cruising now. I think we are planning for Eastern next time out. Glad you and the Mrs had fun!!!

Old February 7th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We too had ac issues on the Liberty in October. having it checked twice did no good though.... Loved the food and we had a great time onboard. Glad you had a good cruise.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Yep Trip, that's what we did too. My first clue that this was an ongoing issue with the ship was the fact that when we returned to the cabin after they had checked the a/c, there was a preprinted card on the bed stating that they had been there, and the a/c was within the operating specs of the ship. We too had it checked twice, and both times they did nothing but leave the little card on the bed. As I noted, it really wasn't bad, but just not within the specs that we've grown to expect aboard Carnival ships.

"SKY"

HMMM, wonder if I can get a job as an a/c tech aboard "Liberty". I could leave that little card just as easily as the next guy.
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Ken, maybe too many people had " bungeecorded " their balconies open
and cut down on the cooling of the a.c.!
Glad you had a good cruise-- and hope your next hundred are even better than the first hundred !
Old February 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Ken, Glad to hear that ou and the lovely Vita had a good cruise. i sailed on her in 2007. Loved everything about the ship. Booked on her again for September 11. Looking forward to it.

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old February 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Sky..we are booked on the Liberty the week of Oct 23-30th on the full charter Capital Jazz Cruise...glad you have given it good reviews

did you eat at the Sushi Bar ?..not worried about the A/C issue because it's a smooth jazz and cool soul type of cruise
Old February 13th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Venice
We were on the Liberty Oct 23 and got kicked off because of the full charter.
I wish they had given us the option to stay but the person we talked to did not even know who the charter was only that we had to pick another cruise. Sounds like we are going to miss a good cruise.
54 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle, Breeze, Sunshine X2
6 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old February 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Sky..we are booked on the Liberty the week of Oct 23-30th on the full charter Capital Jazz Cruise...glad you have given it good reviews

did you eat at the Sushi Bar ?..not worried about the A/C issue because it's a smooth jazz and cool soul type of cruise
Venice, you won't have any problem with the a/c. As I stated, it was O.K., but just not as cool as we're accustomed to. (Won't be a problem on a "cool soul" cruise!)

I didn't eat at the Sushi Bar, but the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) loves Sushi! The problem is that the odd hours of operation of the Sushi Bar, makes it difficult for those of us who dine at first seating to get any Sushi! It opens at about the time we're going to dinner. I think she had it once during the cruise, and said it was excellent.

Ken
"SKY"
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Scurydog...so sorry, you were displaced with the cheapest inside cabin going for $3420 (for 2) it would be a steep add/collect for most cruisers, but they could have at least extended you the invitation

the line up is awesome (if you love smooth jazz and soul)... Incognito featuring Maysa,Will Downing, Spyro Gyra, Kirk Whalum, Brian Culbertson, George Duke, Walter Beasley, lalah Hathaway, Phil Perry, Marion Meadows, Leela James, Jeff Lorber, Jeffrey Osborne, Take 6, Ledisi, comedians George Wallace and Jay Lamont, Teena Marie, Chuck Brown, Malcom Jamal-Warner (Theo on the Bill Cosby show)

I am hooked on the full charter smooth jazz cruises concept, the downside is that I can only afford to cruise about once every 18 months as opposed to once a year, but IMHO it's well worth the sacrifice

Sky..thanks for the heads up about the Sushi bar..we have first seating, so it will just be a matter of checking the menu in the MDR on a nitely basis to figure out which night we will skip the MDR and go to the Sushi Bar (I hate the stuff but really like her,so I'll make sure I eat a big lunch that day)
Old February 14th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post

I
Sky..thanks for the heads up about the Sushi bar..we have first seating, so it will just be a matter of checking the menu in the MDR on a nitely basis to figure out which night we will skip the MDR and go to the Sushi Bar (I hate the stuff but really like her,so I'll make sure I eat a big lunch that day)
Thats the same "boat" I'm in. Frankly, I could care less about Sushi, but will put up with a bit of it to please the lovely Mrs. Jones.
Just looked at one of the "Carnival Fun Times" I brought home from our cruise. Looks like the Sushi Bar opens at 5 P.M., and closes at 8:15. At least that's the hours on two days I checked.
Have a GREAT cruise. You're gonna love the ship, and I KNOW you'll love the entertainment on your cruise! Wish we could join you!

Ken
"SKY"
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Passenger

great to hear you had an enjoyable cruise, I'm planning a december cruise on Liberty, do you know wheter she was refurbished and when ?
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
great to hear you had an enjoyable cruise, I'm planning a december cruise on Liberty, do you know wheter she was refurbished and when ?
You know,,,I really don't know, but if she hasn't been taken through dry-dock, she doesn't really need it. Everything seems to be in EXCELLENT condition, and she already has the Lido Deck Big Screen, so what more could you ask for? You'll have a SUPER time aboard "Liberty"!

"SKY"
Old February 17th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Passenger

Thanks Sky, i do love her sailed her in 07 , she was 2 yrs.old then, was just wondering
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Passenger

I think maybe I saw your ship while on my DCL cruise... were you in Cozumel on the 9th or Grand Cayman on the 10th?
DCL Wonder - 4-day Bahamas Oct 08 - family
RC Voyager - Canada 2004 - w/dh
RC Nordic Prince - Alaska 1993 - w/parents
Old February 19th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Admiral

We disembarked on the 6th, but figuring the next cruise, she might have been in Grand Cayman on the 10th. Not sure, but if she sailed Western the week following our departure from the ship, she'd have been there, then.
GREAT SHIP IMO!

"SKY"