CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   cruise price going down.. we are all paid in full! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/371620-cruise-price-going-down-we-all-paid-full.html)

cruisingrandma February 11th, 2010 02:21 AM

cruise price going down.. we are all paid in full!

We are booked on the Freedom April 2010. I have paid the final payment and now the cruise rate has gone down. I called the cruise planner and told her it went down. She said after the cruise is paid in full its not covered by that. I said I thought it would be a onboard credit then. She said she would check. But I havent heard from her. Today I looked again and it keeps going down. I will be very disapointed if we dont get the lower amount.
We booked a year in advance and picked out our cabins.
there are 6 cabins for our group of 13 cruisers. Anyone have any suggestions for me. Or any help to explain it better to my cruise planner... All help appreciated. i wouldnt normally be so adament about the extra money paid. But this week I jsut lost my job. No warning and the supper club closed the doors. I am trying to find work and this would help out for spending money on the ship. This is a very crazy world of strange economy. Any little bit helps. Thanks...

Rivilian February 11th, 2010 03:23 AM

Grandma,

I'm going to be interested in what others here report. I've heard second hand that cruise prices get discounted near sailing date for accomodations that have not been sold at that point. One argument in favor of booking a cruise late (inside 90 days of sailing) is the possibility of getting a good deal; on the other hand, trying to book at a late date can also leave you trying to pick a cabin that isn't there, 'cause it's already been booked. Said another way, the most desirable cabins are already booked.

A fellow at my brother's office cruises all the time, booking at the last minute. By now, he's getting all sorts of perks for repeat business on about three different cruise lines. But, I'm guessing cabin selection isn't a huge priority for him and his wife. Or, maybe he's lucky. Or, maybe he shops various ships until he finds cabin and price he is happy with.

The cruise I'll begin in about 10 days was booked about 60 days out. I was pleased with the price and with the cabine choice. But, since this is my first cruise, I don't know that my judgment on this means squat at this point. We'll see what kind of tune I'm whistling when the ship disembarks on the Feb 27.

Let's see what others relate.:o

Truck Cruiser February 11th, 2010 04:03 AM

i have always booked thru Carnival and the lady we deal with always rebooks our cabin when prices drop.

katlady February 11th, 2010 10:00 AM

If you booked an Early Saver fare the price can be adjusted even if you paid in full. I made 3 Early Saver requests after being paid in full. My Travel Agent was causing me some problems because every time I adjusted down they lost part of the commission and had to do extra paperwork. Life is hard that way. If my travel agent didn't want to deal with early saver they shouldn't have let me book that way. They gave up the reservation to Carnival in case I had more early saver requests.LOL If you booked with a travel agent that agent has to put in the early saver request. Here is a link to Carnival's website about the early saver program.
Frequently Asked Questions

I did get the price drops in the form of On Board Credit (OBC), since carnival charges $10 per day per person for tips I don't mind the OBC.

Kuki February 11th, 2010 10:34 AM

With Carnival, if you didn't book using their "Early Saver Program" you are stuck with the price after final payment is made.

However, if you booked directly with a Carnival Vacation Planner, I'd call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. If you're polite and make the request, you MIGHT find a sympathetic ear.

flowers February 11th, 2010 11:25 AM

If you booked another rate, than early saver, and there is now a higher category at the price you paid, you can ask to be upgraded. Iv gotten several upgrades that way. I go and look and see which cabins showing I might want and so Im prepared when I call them to ask for the upgrade. If you know what you want, then they have always upgraded me.

EMG February 12th, 2010 10:36 PM

Kat and Kuki are right.

I booked with an Early Saver rate and not only did Carnival give me close to $200 of onboard credit when the price dropped, they called me and told me the price dropped. I couldn't ask for more than that.

I was offered a choice of an upgrade or onboard credit, I took the credit. LOL

cruisingrandma February 13th, 2010 12:14 AM

When I originally booked the cabins the TA said if the prices go down and you see it let us know. Then we can get the lower price. Now they say we didnt book early saver. We booked in June because of the early saver. Whatever.... I was hoping for a savings but looks like it isnt happening anyway. TA said she would check with Carnival again to see if we can gt it yet? Well I thought she already checked when I got the reply from her before. Who knows......... I need this cruise. Stress levels are high here. So i will be happy to be on a ship. Nothing will ruin my cruise.

lhp February 13th, 2010 11:17 AM

For years, if the rate went down, Carnival would issue OBC for the difference.

However, some time ago ( I am thinking December 2008 ~ about the same time that Early Saver came out)....Carnival announced that they would not longer discount after the final payment.

Unless you book Early Saver, the price at the final payment is the price you pay.

To be fair, this is why Carnival started offering Early Saver....so that people who wanted the option of getting any price reductions could do so.

So if people want that option, they should book Early Saver.

Personally, I have never understood why people want to book a year out (usually to get the exact cabins they want) and then complain if the price goes down in the last 70 days.

In many cases, the prices go up. If cruisers want a reduction if the price goes down, shouldn't Carnival have the option to charge you MORE if the price goes up?

Cruisers can't have your cake and eat it too.

Once I book a cruise, I am happy with the price I paid or I would not have booked it.

I certainly do not care what everyone else paid for it.

Snoozeman February 13th, 2010 12:01 PM

Since Carnival came out with all the different types of bookings and different prices, it does get very confusing to keep up with which type of booking has what rules. People tend to want to combine the best parts of each plan into whatever booking they happen to have and it doesn't work that way. That's why you need to be aware of which type you are booking.

EMG February 13th, 2010 12:07 PM

Cruisers can have their cake and eat it too.. You don't have to book a year out to take advantage of the early saver, I think I booked my March Cruise in November which is only 4 months out.

I usually book 30 days out and get a decent price but on this last cruise I booked out far enough with a price that I was happy with and Carnival put icing on the cake by giving me another $200 off the price when it dropped.

I've cruised RCCL for my last couple and they've never offered me a deal on the price..

flowers February 13th, 2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMG (Post 1273890)
Cruisers can have their cake and eat it too.. You don't have to book a year out to take advantage of the early saver, I think I booked my March Cruise in November which is only 4 months out. ..

I think the rule is 3 months out on short cruises, 5 months out on 7 day or longer cruises when early saver rates are removed.

I have noticed that ES rates can linger a day to three days longer, from the ones I watched.

cruisingrandma February 13th, 2010 01:43 PM

I was told by the TA to keep checking as the cruise got closer to see if the price went down. Then to let them know and they would file the forms to get the lower price for us. Now i look and its the senior discount that went way down. Well 4 of our 6 cabins are all seniors.
So now they are checking to see if we can get that price. Why werent we given that option when we booked. Seeing as she asked our ages and how many of us were seniors. I am happy with my cost of the cruise. but when I was told to do this and then told months later not for you!! Well it makes me kind of mad. Also We cruise Carnival and all our group are all past cruisers with Carnival. Like I said. I am in great need of this cruise and I am all paid for the cruise. I jsut want what other people get when they are offered this in the beginning of setting up there cruises. I have every intentions of loving every minute on the Freedom and I never let anything ruin my cruises. I work very hard for them. (By the way... I just lost my job last week due to the economy.) The business has closed down. Great country we live in takes care of the big wigs and the small business can jsut go under. So if I seem to be a little testy. Well I am right now. I am like so many people in this country too. So i am just trying to make the most of this cruise. I will be cruising with close family and having a great time with them all. Happy cruising to everyone!

EMG February 13th, 2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flowers (Post 1273914)
I think the rule is 3 months out on short cruises, 5 months out on 7 day or longer cruises when early saver rates are removed.

I have noticed that ES rates can linger a day to three days longer, from the ones I watched.

My cruise is a 7day'r

katlady February 13th, 2010 05:36 PM

I like to book far out for a couple of reasons. I was going to start losing cruise rewards points and I like have something to look forward to. I was very clear with my TA (I have to use one with the reward points) that I wanted Early Saver booking. Thanks to this website I read and understood exactly what I was getting. Including no refunds and a $50 fee to change the date. I watched for the price drops and got similar to EMG on OBC. I'm fine with that because it can be applied to tips.:D

lhp I disgree with you, but in a nice way. If Carnival offers the program and I understand what I'm booking way can't I take advantage of the price drops? They got the advatnage of getting my money early and not having to refund it.

Depending on how far out before the cruise; couldn't cruisingrandma cancel the cruise then rebook at the lower price? April 2010 how many months is that? Here is a link to the Cancellation policy.
Frequently Asked Questions

EMG February 13th, 2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisingrandma (Post 1273928)
I was told by the TA to keep checking as the cruise got closer to see if the price went down. Then to let them know and they would file the forms to get the lower price for us. Now i look and its the senior discount that went way down. Well 4 of our 6 cabins are all seniors.
So now they are checking to see if we can get that price. Why werent we given that option when we booked. Seeing as she asked our ages and how many of us were seniors. I am happy with my cost of the cruise. but when I was told to do this and then told months later not for you!! Well it makes me kind of mad. Also We cruise Carnival and all our group are all past cruisers with Carnival. Like I said. I am in great need of this cruise and I am all paid for the cruise. I jsut want what other people get when they are offered this in the beginning of setting up there cruises. I have every intentions of loving every minute on the Freedom and I never let anything ruin my cruises. I work very hard for them. (By the way... I just lost my job last week due to the economy.) The business has closed down. Great country we live in takes care of the big wigs and the small business can jsut go under. So if I seem to be a little testy. Well I am right now. I am like so many people in this country too. So i am just trying to make the most of this cruise. I will be cruising with close family and having a great time with them all. Happy cruising to everyone!

Your TA may have booked you on a residency rate to give you a better discount than what was avail for the Senior rate. I've done that in the past, use a military discount rather than a residency or past cruiser rate to get a better discount up-front but if the price dropped then I was stuck.

Hopefully you'll get some OB credit.

Fern February 13th, 2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruisingrandma (Post 1273928)
I was told by the TA to keep checking as the cruise got closer to see if the price went down.
If you're using a TA they should be watching prices, although, admittedly, not as often as you can.Then to let them know and they would file the forms to get the lower price for us.
I've never heard of filing forms to get a lower price :confused:. My TA just gets on the phone and asks.
Now i look and its the senior discount that went way down. Well 4 of our 6 cabins are all seniors.
So now they are checking to see if we can get that price. Why werent we given that option when we booked.
You're right here for sure! You should have been given all the booking options.
Seeing as she asked our ages and how many of us were seniors. I am happy with my cost of the cruise. but when I was told to do this and then told months later not for you!! Well it makes me kind of mad. Also We cruise Carnival and all our group are all past cruisers with Carnival. Like I said. I am in great need of this cruise and I am all paid for the cruise. I jsut want what other people get when they are offered this in the beginning of setting up there cruises. I have every intentions of loving every minute on the Freedom and I never let anything ruin my cruises. I work very hard for them. (By the way... I just lost my job last week due to the economy.)
So sorry :(.
The business has closed down. Great country we live in takes care of the big wigs and the small business can jsut go under. So if I seem to be a little testy. Well I am right now. I am like so many people in this country too. So i am just trying to make the most of this cruise. I will be cruising with close family and having a great time with them all. Happy cruising to everyone!

I know you'll have a great time, no matter what, but I also understand your frustration. IMHO, you might want to change TA's after this cruise.

cruisingrandma February 14th, 2010 02:24 PM

Thanks to everyone for your input! All appreciated. I heard back from my TA. She said she contacted Carnival and NO CREDIT.. So I will jsut go and be happy that i got a good deal when i booked the cruise. It would have been nice to have the OBC of course. But hey thats life... We all have to roll with the punches as thats the way our life seems to go now. Its a new world out there for everything. i am anxiously awaiting my cruise. c
ant wait to be in the ocean and on the beaches too. happy cruising everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for listening to this old lady!

Fern February 14th, 2010 07:10 PM

I'm sorry to hear that your TA wasn't able to help :(.

I love your attitude, though! Have a wonderful (more expensive LOL) cruise!