Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Familiar Face

Default Really did miss the ship and I need advice

Sorry, I messed up the other one....I'm still upset! My grandson and I had booked the Triumph on Dec 26, 2009. the ports were Pregreso and Cozumel. We flew from Detroit to Atlanta. Atlanta to New Orleans the plane had problems and we wound up missing the ship. I'm trying to tell this without getting too long, so I hope it makes sense. I was in contact with Carnival's 24 hour emergency travel hotline at all times. I was told the ship had delayed it's sailing time and we would be able to make it. Turns out when we got to NO, I contacted Carnival and was told the ship had left. We flew back home and I emailed our original Carnival rep. She emailed me back saying the ship didn't sail until 6:23pm. We would have made it if Carnival didn't tell me it already left. I wrote to Carnival and sent a copy of my cell phone records showing I called Carnival 7 times and I requested that they pay the balance of our April cruise, along with a refund of the bus transfers and a room upgrade. To date, I have rec'd a credit on my cc for $56.66, but I don't know what its for. I have not rec'd a letter, call, or email from Carnival. should I send them another letter? Believe me, I have learned the hard way to leave the day before!
Hope this is not too rambling - I could really use some advice on what to do! thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:47 PM
Admiral

WOW, sorry to hear your story. I would bee very upset. To me itís just another case of when you call for accurate information people just tell you what ever. Had the carnival rep you spoke with actuality took the time to look or to take that extra step and indeed find out the ship had sailed maybe the outcome would have been much different. Iím guessing her/his computer screen had the correct information. itís not Carnivals fault you werenít on time due to air travel but the rep knowing the situation should have been able to give you the correct information. Welcome to corporate America. I would call and write again.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

If you don't hear or get anywhere with Carnival, hopefully you bought travel insurance that will cover this, get in contact with them and find out what documents you need to get a refund on the cruise...Best of luck.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 14th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

That's a terrible story. I feel so bad for you.

I've said for awhile that the worst place to get accurate information is by asking the cruise lines. Sadly there's lots of misinformation passed on my staff answering their phones. I wouldn't expect it in this case, but obviously.....

Here's a link to a Blog written by John Heald, Carnival's Brand Ambassador.
John Heald's Blog

I suggest posting your story there. Mark it JOHN PLEASE REPLY

He may be able to pass it on to the appropriate person at Carnival's CARE team to try and get your issue resolved.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Admiral

Lightbulb continue to pursue the issue

I can empathize !! since I had a near-miss back in September.
Atlanta....what a coincidence . The staff there don't care about our cruises , that's for sure. Triumph=another coincidence.
Flight delays almost made me miss the ship, the bus abandoned me and I took a taxi. I was the last person to board the Triumph in New York 12 Sept.09. They had even closed down the embarkation line so I boarded through the informal means. All this gave me a migraine the next day and I was barely able to visit Boston.
People might say..."take their air"...I did!
People say "use a travel agent"...I did!
What the travel agency said was "write letters ! write letters!"
SO I wrote Carnival and I wrote Delta. Carnival blamed it all on Delta, and Delta apologized and promised me a travel credit that has yet to materialize.
Carnival's system failed me in the failure to communicate department since I called their 1-800 number and apprised them of my situation. Their airport transportation system was not notified to wait for late arrivals. The ship called my parents telling them that I was missing which scared them. Carnival didn't tell the ship that I was delayed in Atlanta. My Mom called the ship and paid $18 a minute just to find out I had boarded after all.
What a muddle !!!
My advice to the OP would be continue to nag...nag, nag, nag.
Carnival needs to be reminded of their communications glitches, maybe then and only then will they address such concerns.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate, some men you just can't reach so you get what we had here last week...which is the way he wants it...well he gets it...I don't like any more than you men". Cap'n..... Cool Hand Luke

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old February 15th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Wow - what a bummer. It sounds like you tried to do everything right right. Good luck in seeking restitution.

The only thing I might add would be to try to get the number of the actual embarkation port and to be in contact with them. I'm not sure if I've seen this info in cruise docs or on CCLs website.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Admiral

This will be covered by your Travel Insurance.....

just submit your claim and personally (if possible) I always fly in the day before....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
This will be covered by your Travel Insurance.....

just submit your claim and personally (if possible) I always fly in the day before....
I certainly agree flying in a day eary avoids these types of situations. I'm not so sure travel insurance would cover this, as the circumstances are a bit unusual. And I honestly don't think this is a case where travel insurance should foot the bill even if they would pay.

The original poster did everything right, keeping in constant communication with Carnival. It was Carnival supplying misinformation that led to the final result, and in this case it's them that should be making good for it.

I'm dead set against people assuming the deep pockets of the Cruise Lines should cover all eventualities, but in this case it at least seems it was their screw up, and it's up to them to supply a remedy.
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Familiar Face

Default thanks for everyone's advice....

thanks to everyone for their advice! I will send another letter. Special thanks to Kuki - I'm going to try the blogging also.

I looked online at Carnivals travel insurance and from what I read, I don't think this would have been covered. I really thought I was just SOL but when my Carnival agent told me the ship left later I was really PO'd to say the least. I have learned to question everything and leave the day before.

thanks!!!!!
Old February 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

The one thing that I am curious about is- if the ship was originally scheduled to sail at 5pm? then they will stop letting people board at least an hour,maybe hour and a half before that time. You don't say what time you arrived in NO but if it was after the deadline that might be the reason the Carnival employee told you it had sailed , when what really happened was boarding had closed and then for some reason that is not clear to me they didn't actually depart until 6.23pm. Just thinking...
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Cal's Granny....

Did you go through a travel agent to book your air and cruise? Or did you go through Carnival, or did you do it yourself?

If you did it through Carnival or a Travel agent I suggest you look to see what kinds of guarantee policies they have.

For example, another cruise line guarantees that if you miss the ship they will do their best to get you to the ship on another flight. You should see if Carnival (or whomever you booked through) has a similar guarantee.

Also - it is really bad that a Carnival staff person gave you the wrong information, but as Kuki said, that is what happens when dealing with a person who is basically just a help-desk operator - they are paid for spending less time with each customer (its called "efficiency").

Personally, I would not have even bothered calling anyone and would have just made my way to dock as quickly as possible to see if the ship was still there. One never knows if a ship is going to leave late, and if they are delayed they are not going to necessarily make that fact known to everyone at the Carnival home office.

I understand that they are called the 24-emergency hotline. That alone should lead you to believe they know what they are doing, but I just wouldn't count on it ever.

That is why I am saying, just for future reference for people reading this, I say go to the dock even if you are a little late and see if the ship is still there. They often leave late for various reasons - weather delays and a number of flights arriving late being among them.

You were given wrong information by Carnival and have some kind of proof of it. If you can find a way to sue them in small claims court in Florida you may have a case. Some courts allow you to file a claim from out of state (I think).

Or you can take the other route and just explain what happened to them in writing, tell them you love their cruise line and are a good customer, and ask them what kind of compensation they are willing to offer to you. With any luck it will be worthwhile to you.

I am also curious who made these travel arrangements for you - cutting it awfully close.
Old February 15th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Granny,

I've discussed your situation with our friend, fellow cruise writer Anita Dunham Potter. She also acts as an ombudsman in some situations. If you contact her directly she's agreed to try and assist.

Contact/Help! | ExpertCruiser.com
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It has pretty much been my experience that they will let a passenger board as long as there is a gangway still down. And they generally leave it down up to the very moment they are ready to leave.

We have all seen that video of the couple arriving late to a ship in port. The video is shot from the ship, but the people who are late are just arriving by taxi. By the time they get out of the car the ship had just pulled away from the dock.

To pick them up the ship would have had to dock and tie up again. There are all kinds of union and legel fees involved with that. So a few seconds can make a big difference.
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Admiral

The old saying is "if you take cruise air they are responsible to get you to the ship". That's what travel agents tell people. That's what cruise booking agents claim.
That's not always true, I fear. Delayed flights exonerates them of that responsibility.

/ticker.png">
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
) I always fly in the day before....
Me too ! from now on.
The Splendor is same day flight but with 5 1/2 hours to work with. Shouldn't have any issues.
BUT.....
Next year in Montreal I'll be staying in a hotel the night prior.

/ticker.png">
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Administrator
Admiral

NO - the cruise lines are NOT responsible to get you to the ship if the airline is at fault for the delay.

Royal Caribbean has a program called "choice air" where if you are delayed they will step in and try to coordinate you getting to the ship at no additional cost - BUT if there is additional cost you have to pay for yourself.

I don't think Carnival has any such air guarantee at all, but I could be wrong.

If weather cause you to be late that is no one's fault (travel insurance should cover this). If it is airline mechanical delay it is the airline's fault.

If the ship leaves early (pretty unlikely) or misses a port where you planned to board it is the cruise line's fault.
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Familiar Face

Kuki,

I have just send an email to the "address" you gave me. I really appreciate this!
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Familiar Face

Just an update. I did receive a cruise credit for a future cruise for the amount of the cruise for each of us. Minus, a "cancellation" fee. Thanks to everyone for their help!
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

HI CG,
Thanks for the update, I'm glad CArnival stepped up and issued you a credit. I know the whole ordeal was a huge hassle, but turned out good in the end...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

That is my worst nightmare come true. I am so sorry that you had to be so horribly disappointed.

Laura
ďTwenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.ď
---Mark Twain

Old March 27th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Admiral

I'm glad for the update I was following along and hope for a good result. To bad they charged you a fee. But at least you got some cruise credit.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I am thrilled you got something back in your pocket.....yayay!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 28th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Captain

That's fantastic!!!

AKcruiser
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cals granny View Post
Just an update. I did receive a cruise credit for a future cruise for the amount of the cruise for each of us. Minus, a "cancellation" fee. Thanks to everyone for their help!
Sounds like a happy ending to something that could have been disastrous.

~ Future Cruises ~
~ None ~

~ Past Cruises ~
RCI - Vision of the Seas - 2003
RCI - Monarch of the Seas - 2004
NCL - Norwegian Sun - 2006
CCL - Paradise - 2007
CCL - Splendor - 2010
CCL - Spirit - 2011
CCL - Inspiration - 2011
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Beginner

I too just missed my ship yesterday, the Splendor. Drove from Vegas and there was bumper to bumper due to dust storms and high winds. Sat in our convertible in death valley barely moving for over 8 hours.

I am trying to convince Carnival to let us take Thursday's cruise from California to Cabo (4 day cruise) without us having to pay anything since it IS a lesser cruise. As of yet, Carnival is not cooperating. I think I will email that link provided....

My only other option if Carnival will not allow us to simply take the same cruise next week or a lesser cruise, is to buy Saturday's HA Oosterdam cruise for $399 pp. But I hate to pay anything when I know that Carnival can easily just throw us into the next group of cruisers, or at the very least offer us the ability to join a less popular cruise.

UGH!
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Brian...

Not to sound unsympathetic, but your situation was quite different. You just missed your ship, without anyone supplying you with misinformation.

In your case, you should have had travel insurance.
Old April 12th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Beginner

Absolutely. And not trying to compare the situations. On that same note, however, I'm not asking for a refund or even a comparable credit. By offering me a lesser cost cruise during the same time I'd be on the Splendor is of no financial consequence to Carnival and, space permitting, would be the right thing to do...

Don't you think?
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Beginner

Absolutely. And not trying to compare the situations. On that same note, however, I'm not asking for a refund or even a comparable credit. By offering me a lesser cost cruise during the same time I'd be on the Splendor is of no financial consequence to Carnival and, space permitting, would be the right thing to do...

Don't you think?
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazBrian View Post

Don't you think?
If space was available, it would be the nice thing to do. And might even be more profitable for them to have you onboard, and spending money in place of an empty cabin.

What I disagree with is people expecting the cruise lines (deep pockets) to be responsible for any eventuality for every passenger who's booked with them.
Old April 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Beginner

I completely agree. You are right.

I am already in California now anyway since I was supposed to be on the Splendor. My woman and I think it would be rather silly to pay $309 (the current price for Thursday's 4 day Cabo cruise from SD) when we know the reason it's priced so low is because there's lots of spaces open. We know we would lose the difference between that and the original $1100 we paid for our 7 day cruise that left yesterday, but that's what happens when you don't get the insurance and/or don't give yourself enough time to plan for incidentals.

Needless to say, Carnival isn't budging. And after being on the phone all day with them, I am giving up. I'm going to go ahead and book the Oosterdam for this Saturday at $399/pp and do the original route I was going to do with Carnival. Only drawback (besides paying twice for a cruise) is the fact that we are in our early 30's and originally chose Carnival because of the research I did on Cruisemates seemed to point to it being more of a "party" atmosphere. So now we are quite concerned that HAL will be way too laid back for us. We like to GO GO GO and sleep very little when on a vacation.

Thoughts??