Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Passenger

Default 8-day Exotic Eastern out of NYC -- questions

I think I asked about this a couple of years ago , but here I am again... we still have yet to take our first cruise on Carnival, but now we have an opportunity to join a group of families in our town that are going on the Oct 6th sailing.

Keep in mind that my kids have only ever sailed Disney, and that we just got off the Magic a few days ago. (We were on the "stuck/stranded" ship that was delayed a full day.) I have also sailed RC and am very open to trying other cruise lines.

So... my specific questions are:

1) How is Half Moon Cay? Does anyone have a comparison to Castaway Cay, DCL's island? That is the only cruise ship island I have been on.

2) Anyone have kids who have been in clubs on both Carnival and DCL? My kids enjoyed the DCL clubs, some more than others. Would love to hear anything specific. My kids will be 12, 9, and 5 in October.

3) Is it hard having two days at sea in a row, twice? Our recent cruise had two days at sea, but they were separated by port days. I wonder about that second day... does the staff do everything they can to "mix things up" and keep it interesting?

4) Anyone ever done this specific cruise at this time of year? Can you tell me anything about the weather? I imagine I know what it'll be like in NY, and the first day at sea... but I'm thinking that by the second day at sea it would start to get pretty warm... ? We went to WDW in early October 08, and it was HOT. So was the Bahamas. HOT HOT HOT.

That's all for now... I appreciate any information you have! And please tell me if my questions aren't specific enough.
DCL Wonder - 4-day Bahamas Oct 08 - family
RC Voyager - Canada 2004 - w/dh
RC Nordic Prince - Alaska 1993 - w/parents
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2driveinct View Post
I think I asked about this a couple of years ago , but here I am again... we still have yet to take our first cruise on Carnival, but now we have an opportunity to join a group of families in our town that are going on the Oct 6th sailing.

Keep in mind that my kids have only ever sailed Disney, and that we just got off the Magic a few days ago. (We were on the "stuck/stranded" ship that was delayed a full day.) I have also sailed RC and am very open to trying other cruise lines.

So... my specific questions are:
1) How is Half Moon Cay? Does anyone have a comparison to Castaway Cay, DCL's island? That is the only cruise ship island I have been on.

I can't really answer this since I have not visited either private island

2) Anyone have kids who have been in clubs on both Carnival and DCL? My kids enjoyed the DCL clubs, some more than others. Would love to hear anything specific. My kids will be 12, 9, and 5 in October.

I do know that Camp Carnival is one of the best kids programs at sea. Their counselors are first rate and provide a wide variety of activities.

3) Is it hard having two days at sea in a row, twice? Our recent cruise had two days at sea, but they were separated by port days. I wonder about that second day... does the staff do everything they can to "mix things up" and keep it interesting?

Sea days are wonderful. I love them. It gives you a real chance to enjoy the ship and enjoy the activities or just take it easy. There will be more activities than you can do and you will have to choose the ones you really want. The staff does an excellent job of having a variety of things to do.

4) Anyone ever done this specific cruise at this time of year? Can you tell me anything about the weather? I imagine I know what it'll be like in NY, and the first day at sea... but I'm thinking that by the second day at sea it would start to get pretty warm... ? We went to WDW in early October 08, and it was HOT. So was the Bahamas. HOT HOT HOT.

It may well be hot but it will probably be cooler than mid-summer. Fall cruising is my favorite time to cruise. Less people, cooler weather and lower pricing. It is during hurricane season but the actual chance of having a hurricane hit your port on the day of sailing is very low but I would make sure you have insurance in the event something does happen.

That's all for now... I appreciate any information you have! And please tell me if my questions aren't specific enough.

I know others will hop in and provide some more information.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me