Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:49 AM
First Mate

Default Dream Cove Balconies

Zydecocruiser's great review and pictures of the Cove balconies on the Dream have us thinking of trying one on a cruise in the Sep-Oct timeframe. My only concern is: it looks like if there is bad weather or rough seas, that the doors to the the outside are sealed by the crew, therefore making the balcony unaccessible. The time frame we are considering is in hurricane season in the Carib and although it is a rare thing, with our luck we could get into rough seas and have the balcony sealed. Is it a fact that the crew will seal the doors and you cannot get onto the balcony? Thanks for any help.

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I haven't sailed the Dream yet, but that is my understanding.

Not sure how big the seas have to be for them to make that decision, but it's to prevent flooding. Have a feeling that if the seas are rough enough for them to make the move, you wouldn't want to be sitting on the balcony
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 19th, 2010, 03:21 PM
First Mate

Kuki, you are absolutely right. If the seas are that bad we would stay indoors anyway. I would hope that as soon as they can the crew would open the doors again. I think we will take a chance and see what happens.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 19th, 2010, 04:43 PM
First Mate

Well we went ahead and booked a Cove balcony for an Oct cruise to the Western Carib. And we signed up for anytime dining. Always good to try something new.

Need some cruise help?
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Cruise ships don't sail through hurricanes - they will go out of their way to avoid. On my cruise, we were in the Mediterranean and were potentially going to have to go through some serious weather (I was looking forward to), but then decided to skip Barcelona and stay sheltered by some islands on the way to Monte Carlo.

When the Dream later went through a tropical storm on a New York cruise, they didn't seal the balconies, so they may have just done it with us for the experience.

Even when sealed, you have a superior view to an outside cabin and your windows can be cleaned!

Old February 21st, 2010, 12:00 PM
First Mate

Zydecocruiser: You are aboslutely right. They will avoid any rough weather that they can. Anyway as I said we went ahead and booked one on the Dream in Oct. Should be a blast!!!

Need some cruise help?