CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   What to do in Cozumel (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/371947-what-do-cozumel.html)

cruisehunter February 22nd, 2010 02:58 PM

What to do in Cozumel

Hello all,

We are cruising on the Fantasy on March 4 to Cozumel. These forum discussions are GREAT! I have learned a lot. We cruised RC once many years ago, and then again last year with my husband's company. Both were to the same stops in the Bahamas.

We purchased this cruise at the last minute, so I know we didn't get the best price, but we are still thinking it is a very affordable way to get some sunshine. Mobile is within driving distance for us.

So to save money, we decided to not do any of the shore excursions offered by the ship. I think I read on here a post of suggestions of things to do in Cozumel, but now I can't find it.

Did someone mention a beach club that was free and within walking or taxi distance of the port? Any suggestions of other free or low cost things to do in Cozumel? What I read seems like it is a safe place to "wander." We are not big shoppers, but enjoy historical sites and beautiful beaches. Any recommendations for lunch?

Thanks!
Cruisehunter

Crows1234 February 22nd, 2010 03:35 PM

I don't remember anything being a walking distance away to the Cozumel port other than a few very small shops (almost like huts). There are a number of taxis waiting at the port. I took a taxi to Xcaret to look at the Mayan ruins. That was fun.

kelzbelz77 February 22nd, 2010 04:04 PM

I would take a taxi/shuttle to the other side of the island where there is hardly any tourists and you have the beach to yourself. There is 6 bars/restaruants or they at least serve food. I have the best pictures from there this past January. I am booking another cruise that has a stop in Cozumel just because of that. There is also a stretch of the beach where there are lifeguards as well. I remember it being right across the street from a restaruant/bar. That way you get the best of both worlds. Except there wasn't any lounge chairs or anything so I would suggest bringing the towel off the ship. It is so serene and peaceful. No place like it. Hope you have a fantastic cruise. Coconut's is a unique place to stop on that side as well.

Snoozeman February 22nd, 2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crows1234 (Post 1275943)
I don't remember anything being a walking distance away to the Cozumel port other than a few very small shops (almost like huts). There are a number of taxis waiting at the port. I took a taxi to Xcaret to look at the Mayan ruins. That was fun.

You can't take a taxi from Cozumel to Xcaret as it's located on the mainland.

Crows1234 February 23rd, 2010 09:21 AM

My mistake, my port was Playa Del Carmen.

mare1 February 23rd, 2010 07:13 PM

We have been to Cozumel twice. Both times did an all inclusive beach resort. Offers unlimited food/alcohol. One of them was at the Wyndham you can check it out at Cozumel all inclusive Beach Break Excursion day pass in cozumel Mexico.

The other was the Playa Mia Beach Break. Both were alot of fun.
Playa Mia had alot more people. Yet Wyndham offered a great swim up bar.

I would highly recommend either one.

rq027397 February 26th, 2010 07:05 PM

Was at Playa Mia Beach in Feb. All inclusive. It was a blast. We did the cheaper excursion and took our own taxi there not the bus. The beach was great. The drinks were good and plentiful.

TrishUtter March 17th, 2013 03:21 PM

How do you take a taxi there as it is on the main land?

Phil&Liz March 27th, 2013 08:31 PM

I like Kelz idea of going to "the other side" of the island, but rather than a taxi, perhaps doing the Bar Hop would work for you. They take you to 4 or 5 bars where you get a free drink and some time at each of the beaches on that side of the island.

They have a website and a FB page.

skymaster March 28th, 2013 02:23 PM

Lots to do in Cozumel, but DON'T join the "pier runners". Be sure to keep your watch on ships time, and don't depend on your phone or other device that will automatically update to local time. I've always had a good time wandering around the local shops, and never felt challenged, or unsafe.
Have a great time in Coz!

"SKY"

poftravel March 30th, 2013 07:37 AM

the Cozumel Bar Hop bus is far and away the best thing to do in Cozumel, google it of check trip advisor !

bermudafreak March 30th, 2013 07:45 AM

All-inclusive

There most definitely is an all inclusive with walking distance of the pier. It is called El Cid La Ceiba and it a short walk (right out of the pier to the left). I was there in September and I would recommend it. The drinks and food was great. The snorkeling is actually awesome, but the entry into the area is a bit sketchy. You can access the info at cozumelforaday.com. Let me know if you have any questions.

Donna March 30th, 2013 04:44 PM

If I remember correctly, there are two piers they use in Cozumel, one is right in town and the other is a mile or two up the road...Try to find out what pier you will be at. The one farther away will require a taxi to get anywhere. I can also recomment taking a cab to Chanakaab Park for the day, huge beach, restaurants, snorkeling, etc.