Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Beginner

Default Need some help ..Please

We are planning for a cruise for the first part of June, Western Carib. I would love some input for Cozumel, Belize, Isle de Rotan, and Costa Maya. Any Suggestions for excursions or other fun.. Thanx
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Captain

On one of our trips to Cozumel we rented a VW Bug and toured the island on our own. We had a blast, we went to ruins sites, enjoyed two different beaches and did some shopping. The day was very economical and once we were out of the chaos of the cruise port the driving was a breeze.

In Belize, we normally cave tube. My kids love it and as strong swimmers we feel quite capable of managing the sometimes unpredictable flow. The hike through the tropical area to get to the river run is a little rugged but we've found it manageable for both kids and some of the older folks in our groups as well as everyone in between. We did go out snorkelling in Belize on one trip and this was wonderful as well. We always book Belize with private, but reputable operators.

In Honduras, we grab a cab for an Island tour and some quality time on the beach. We normally tell the cab driver that we want to go to a beach where we won't be constantly pressured for hair braids, etc and we've had very good luck thus far. We love Isla Roatan, it is beautiful and the people are kind and welcoming. We take candy for the kids that we come across on our tours and we always bring a large bag of apples for our cab driver.

Well I saved Costa Maya for last because to be honest, our opinion is that we aren't all that crazy about Costa Maya, it's just an okay port as far as we are concerned. Now don't worry about the stop, just because we don't care for it doesn't mean that you won't fall head over heals in love with it. The last time we were there we did the market on the beach, and hung around the pier before reboarding early in the afternoon to enjoy a quiet ship.. Someone else I am sure will be able to help you with Costa Maya.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old February 27th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Beginner

Thanx for the very helpful info.. That gets me started in the right direction.

Last edited by abbudmanky; February 27th, 2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 27th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

In Costa Maya if you can possibly plan to get off the ship early and get to Chichen Itza - the Mayan Ruin, it is definitely worth the trip. It is almost as fascinating as ancient Egypt with its pyramids and sports stadium.

Last edited by Paul Motter; February 27th, 2010 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typoos
Old February 27th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

In Cozumel, if you like beaches/snorkeling, etc...Check out Chanakaab Park, not far from the pier. You can get a taxi there and back, not a problem. They also have the dolphin swim there, but that needs to be pre-booked well in advance.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Captain

We did Victor Bodden in Roatan, and he was much cheaper than a taxi, which took us for like an hour for $40, and Victor took us for $25 for 3 people for the whole day, or $35 for 2 people and drive you everywhere and look after you.

Why would you want to mess with such a good deal?
Old February 27th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Littletime View Post
In Honduras, we grab a cab for an Island tour and some quality time on the beach. We normally tell the cab driver that we want to go to a beach where we won't be constantly pressured for hair braids, etc and we've had very good luck thus far. We love Isla Roatan, it is beautiful and the people are kind and welcoming. We take candy for the kids that we come across on our tours and we always bring a large bag of apples for our cab driver.
Hi 2Littletime, you made some wonderful suggestions! The candy for the kids is a great idea. I'm also curious about the apples . Did someone in Isla Roatan specifically request apples? Do you have "special" apples in New Brunswick?

Just curious ...,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Ok here goes!
These ports are wonderful there's so much to do for families.

OK in Cozumel, we usually rent a car and head clear down to the south end of the island to Punta Sur and have a ball there. Google it and see their crocodile preserve, turtle preserve, mayan ruins, one of the 10 most beautiful beaches in the world, nice snorkelling and just a great experience. Donna mentioned Chankanaab, which is also a great place and has a beach, drinks and restaurant to offer as well as many other things. Here is a link to a website that offers discounts on some of their services...Cozumel Dolphins - Swim With Dolphins in Cozumel at Chankanaab Park
There's a lot to do in Cozumel but these are great places to start. It is very easy to get around in, and safe.

Belize there are a couple of tour companies I am comfortable recommending. one is Coral Breeze, the other Marvin Deras Ecological Tours. You can choose to zipline, snorkel with the stingrays and sharks and visit the Coral Gardens, go zip lining or cave tubing. That's pretty much the highlights for this port. You can google these companies in advance and contact them to arrange excursions or wait until you get off the tender in Belize. They both will do a fine job.

Roatan I so want to tell you how much we enjoyed Maya Key. There is a very nice pool, a good restaurant. The beach is good, there is a reef that is wonderful to snorkel. They rescue animals here and I am here to say we had a great time at Maya Key. It is beautiful. The reef was easily accessible and honestly I hope I have enough time to go back after I scuba dive when I go back in June. One really nice thing here is the grounds are pristine. they rake the sand which kills the sand fleas which infest many of the beaches. If you do go elsewhere, bring lots of DEET bug spray.Roatan Cruise and Caribbean Cruise Shore Excursions | Maya Key

Costa Maya When we were there last, we had heard of a small struggling resort just to the right of the cruise pier. Someone had built a tall wall to keep cruise passengers from venturing over there. Well that really bothered me so I decided we need to go over there and support them. So we got some very clandestine directions that involved climbing through a hole in a fence, walking through the jungle, and arriving at the resort. Well it worked out fine and at the time we just appreciated the beautiful white sandy beach and my son had a blast exploring the tidal pools in the rocks. You might want to email them in advance to see what facilities will be available when you visit. Here's their website, which appears to be under construction. http://www.chacchi.com and
email Joaquin at chac_chi@hotmail.com

Hope you

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:12 PM
Beginner

Default getting some Great ideas..thanx

ok now I have some great ideas to work with, what about the Altun Ha Mayan ruins and the river wallace tour in Belize... any feedback on this one?????
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:55 AM
Captain

We have found that in our experience apples are very expensive on many of the caribbean islands. They are a treat that many people cannot afford. In one spot that we were in the cab driver told us that when they can get apples they are often very soft and mushy and they cost around $5 a pound. The folks we have given apples to have been thrilled with the treat. We only discovered the apple thing quite by accident when our middle daughter was crunching away on one and offered it to the cab driver in Honduras, he told us that he would save it for later and split it with his six kids and his wife. When my daughter inquired furter we discovered the apple issue and now make a point to travel with as many as we can carry.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:23 AM
Captain

We've been to Cozumel several times but have never made it to Paradise Beach. Their website is paradise-beach-cozumel.com.

In Costa Maya we rented the golf carts and drove way out to a little beach side cafe. The beach wasn't suitable for swimming but the nachos we had were good and we had fun resting in the hammocks.

AKcruiser
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
We have found that in our experience apples are very expensive on many of the caribbean islands. They are a treat that many people cannot afford. In one spot that we were in the cab driver told us that when they can get apples they are often very soft and mushy and they cost around $5 a pound. The folks we have given apples to have been thrilled with the treat. We only discovered the apple thing quite by accident when our middle daughter was crunching away on one and offered it to the cab driver in Honduras, he told us that he would save it for later and split it with his six kids and his wife. When my daughter inquired furter we discovered the apple issue and now make a point to travel with as many as we can carry.
What a nice thing to do! Just be sure you don't take apples off the ship when there's a prohibition on taking fruit or veggies into port. You could find yourself fined !

Sea Princess 2014
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
What a nice thing to do! Just be sure you don't take apples off the ship when there's a prohibition on taking fruit or veggies into port. You could find yourself fined !
We don't take them off the boat, my husband's uncle is an organic farmer and we always clear a case of apples through agriculture when we cross into the states, it's just a small thing from Canada that we can give out. I'm one of those people that hate to break any rules, I think most of the time I am the group party pooper : (

Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
We don't take them off the boat, my husband's uncle is an organic farmer and we always clear a case of apples through agriculture when we cross into the states, it's just a small thing from Canada that we can give out. I'm one of those people that hate to break any rules, I think most of the time I am the group party pooper : (
It's so great that you can do that! I know there are people on some of the Caribbean islands that love getting "fresh" milk. It must be the same kind of thing .

Sea Princess 2014
Old March 3rd, 2010, 09:33 PM
Admiral

The "fresh milk" would be fine, since it is prepackaged.

It is perfectly ok to take anything "prepackaged" off the ship....
chips, candy bar, etc for folks like us that have a special needs child who needs "snacks" and is VERY picky about what he will eat....

however, it is a huge NO NO to remove fresh fruits, vegtables or meats from the ship at most ports....anything that is not prepackaged is generally forbidden.

For example, Cozumel is trying to prevent the red palm mite from coming to their island. Now I have no idea what that is or what financial damage it would cause.....but since I am a guest in their country....them saying "don't do it" is enough for me.

Again...prepackaged is fine.

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
Familiar Face

I'll be on almost same cruise in May! Instead of Costa Maya I'll be at Grand Cayman

Isla Roatan

I have booked a private tour with boddentours.com in Roatan. Victor Bodden and his crew got a lot of good reviews and I'm gonna have a guide just for myself and a van of course and the guide takes me everywhere I want to go, all day long. He has a monkey zoo which seems to be amazing, well behaving monkeys sitting on your shoulder and he has taken some of the tourists to his house and they had a cake and stuff, very private tour...... off the beaten paths. Just what I like!

Just don't know what to do in Belize and Cozumel yet.........*sigh* Isn't life hard? :-)

to Western Caribbean on Carnival Valor

Last edited by Spectra; March 4th, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Captain

I have to agree with those who recommended Victor Bodden tours. We used them in Jan for Isle Roatan and could not have been happier. Our guide was Frankie Thomas and he took us to the Beach Club. We spent several hours there and it was great. He also gave us a tour of the Isle and pointed out many interesting things. We just booked it when we walked off the ship at the Bodden booth. It was easy and very affordable.
In Cozumel we also did a VW dunebuggy tour. There were about 20 of us in the group who did this and had a ball. Booked this one through Shore Trips before we left home. Met some great folks from Alabama who were doing the tour for the 2nd time. Great tour, beaches, sites & food.

Enjoy your cruise.

Old March 4th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Beginner

now that sounds like fun, let me know how it goes !!!
Old March 6th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbudmanky View Post
now that sounds like fun, let me know how it goes !!!
who do you mean?

I have booked "Dolphin Trainer for one day" in Cozumel now. 199 USD but very good reviews and a once in a lifetime opportunity for me so far.

to Western Caribbean on Carnival Valor