Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Beginner

Default Whats around Long Beach Port?

I am getting ready for my second Carnival cruise, this time on the Paradise out of Long Beach. We cruised the freedom last summer and like everyone said we would we got hooked on cruising. It is the only way to vacation. So number one, I am worried that I set the bar too high. Will I be disappointed going from the nice new Freedom to the older Paradise? Secondly I have scheduled my shuttle from LAX to Long Beach Port, is there a place within walking distance from the port that I can go buy last minute items I dont want to bring on the plane. IE: bottled water, coke... I dont want to ask my private shuttle to stop at the local Quick E Mart on the way there. Cruise Mates has never let me down with an answer yet. You guys rock.
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM
Admiral

First off I have been on both ships. I dig the Freedom a lot. Paradise is nice ship, but it's smaller and older so if you know that going in you won't be as disappointed. No Fish n Chips on deck 10 and no Mongilian BBQ on the Paradise.

I think you will be more disappointed in the ports then in the ship. The 4 day out of Long Beach is normally Catalina and Enseneda. I like Catalina alright (we rented a golf cart and went around the island), but Enseneda is my least favorite port. No beach, it's a college drinking town. They do have some good shopping but that is about it. The seven day cruises on the Splendor have much better ports.

At the port in Long Beach there isn't to much around. The Queen Mary is there and I know it has shops not sure if it would be good for soda or water. Here is a link to the list of shops in the Queen Mary Hotel. I hope that helps.
Long Beach Shopping | The Queen Mary

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:23 AM
Beginner

Thank Katlady, I knew going in that this cruise wouldnt be as great as the Freedom, We wanted a quick cheap getaway over Spring Break. My wife is a teacher, so we really only have the one week. The price was right for this trip. We are looking forward to Ensenda and going on the wine tours. We are at a loss as to what to do on Catalina. And it sounds like its going to be too cold to do snorkeling or any water activities this time of year. However I am one to enjoy the ship and the luxuries that come with it more than the ports anyway.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Admiral

The shops on the QM are typical of most hotels. You can buy soda and/or water but will do so at a premium. Plus I think you might have to pay for a walking tour or at least tell them you would like to eat aboard the ship just to get on.

We went to Ensenada last fall and went to La Buffadora. It was kind of neat but you had to run the gauntlet of "bargains" to get there. If you are fit we met some folks that did a kayak tour of La Buffadora that looked pretty fun.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
Familiar Face

When are you going on the paradise? I'll be on it, March 19th... Getting married!

Looks like you're doing a different one then us as we don't stop in Catalina. We did last time and had a blast renting golf carts and driving around the Island.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:38 PM
Passenger

As far as a store within walking distance... I suppose that depends on how far you mind walking! I know there's a rite aid and a liquor store and maybe a 7-eleven, but I think from the cruise terminal they are probably a couple miles.

Also, the wine tours in Ensenada were very nice and it does give you a short time to walk into Ensenada once you are through if you want to.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi onlyCoke when are you sailing...I am sailing next Monday..
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Beginner

I leave on March 15th, just a quick 4 day jaunt. Been counting down for months, and it's nearly here. I will try and leave the ship in good condition for you optize, congrats on the wedding, it looks like you have sailed paradise before, you must like it. Joey you be sure and have it ready for me, I will probably be there as you are getting off. All you coastal people are sooooo lucky i would kill to be in a port city, as the airfare is more expensive than the cruise. I think I would take several a year if it were that cheap. Flying from Kansas City is not too expensive but it does put a damper on the whole trip.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

don't go killing anyone over a home port.. its much safer to move!... :P

I will alert them you are on your way! although there is a 3 day run before you get to embark.. like you i am doing the 4 days...
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyCokePlease View Post
Flying from Kansas City is not too expensive but it does put a damper on the whole trip.

The best part of the cruise is being at sea. Thatís the same for any ship. Enjoy the differences. On the smaller ships you run into the same people more often, the ports are less crowded, and embarking / disembarking is easier. Iíve never been disappointed switching back and forth between large and smaller ships.

BTW we're fly to Ft Lauderdale from KC on Southwest in June for $97 / person each way. You have your choice of either the Miami or the Ft Lauderdale port from there. Watch for the specials they can cut your air cost a lot lower than flying into Miami.

2012 Carnival Destiny
2011 Carnival Splendor
2011 Carnival Pride
2010 Carnival Legend (w/ Hurricane Paula)
2010 Carnival Imagination
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Freedom
2008 Carnival Facination
2007 Carnival Triumph
2006 Carnival Miracle
2005 Carnival Victory
2002 Carnival Imagination
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:54 PM
Beginner

Yeah, southwest has done us well for our vacations too. Enjoy your trip in June.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Admiral

I have been to Enseneda more times then I care to remember. Aside from the insane bus trip the winery tours were quite nice. I didn't like La Buffadora as much. Lots of pushy vendors.

In Catalina you could do glass bottom boat or submersible boat or rent a golf cart and tour the island. There are buffalo somewhere on the island if you wanted to see them.:-D

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Familiar Face

There is nothing really within walking distance from the port as far as shopping or small stores go. We have done this trip a few times and have had a great time on each one. Have fun!

~ Future Cruises ~
~ None ~

~ Past Cruises ~
RCI - Vision of the Seas - 2003
RCI - Monarch of the Seas - 2004
NCL - Norwegian Sun - 2006
CCL - Paradise - 2007
CCL - Splendor - 2010
CCL - Spirit - 2011
CCL - Inspiration - 2011
Old March 3rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Talking

Hey, nice to hear from othesrs who have or are going to cruise on the Paradise. My first time with Carnival will be in September on the Paradise. I, too, am counting down the days....

Julie