Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Beginner

Default What to do in Key West and Cozumel - March 15 - 19 Imagination

My wife and I are Cruising Carnival's Imagination from Miami to Key West and Cozumel on March 15 - 19. I have never been on a cruise before and was wondering if any of you had some suggestions or recomendations of things to do while we are in those two ports.

We were thinking of seeing the ruins of Tulum when we get to Cozumel. The excursion says it takes 7 hours which is pretty close to the entire time we are in port. Is it worth taking up most of the port time?

I've never been to Key West either and don't know what all we can do there. It looks like the weather has been a little cooler than what we'd like in both places so I'm not so sure how warm the water will be for snorkeling or diving. What do you all think?

-E
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In Key West, it's a great walk about town. You can also rent an electric car, though sometimes parking them can be an issue. The conch train is a wonderful way to see the island, and let someone else do the driving..A short cab ride to Southernmost Point,gets you as close to Cuba as a cruiser can be, other than passing it by on the ship

Check out Mel Fishers Museum...all the booty from sunken galleons is on view. Go see Hemmingway's home and his 5 toed cats

Make sure to try conch fritters and keylime pie..Go to Fastbuck Freddys, a wonderful department store, with great clothes and home goods, shoes etc....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 4th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Hi E!

My mom and I will be boarding Imagination a few days after you and your family debark - we sail on Monday March 22nd.

We're going to just walk around Key West a little and do the Hemingway House tour (not the cruise excursion).

On Cozumel we are doing the Playa Mia Beach Club Deluxe excursion (5 hours) and enjoy the pool, the beach and the ocean!

Have a great trip, looking forward to your review and photos!

Michelle
Old March 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do a pub crawl. Hog's Breath Saloon, Margaritaville and Sloppy Joe's are a good start, or you can pay for a guided tour- The Duval Crawl
Last time there we noticed the Tall Ship Harbor cruises,( Schooners) wish we'd seen it before we ran out of time.
I would definitely take the Conch Train tour, you get a narrated tour and it gives you a good insight into the History of the island, you get to see quite a lot in an hour or so. They stop at the Southernmost point for photos.
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
[FONT=Century Gothic] The conch train is a wonderful way to see the island, and let someone else do the driving..
I agree for a first timer in Key West, the Conch Train is a must and will give you a great overview of the island.

Then you can go to Sloppy Joe's and have a beer or 4.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:54 PM
First Mate

The pub crawl is fun, but doing your own "pub crawl" can be fun too, lots of places close together. we've always found fun people at those watering holes
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There is also a nice Butterfly farm in Key West if you are into those. YOu'll find a shop in town too with them, quite pricey, but beautiful.

Always nice walking around town, be sure to pick up a frozen key lime slurpy, delish!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to T C Send a message via AIM to T C

E4NASH ... no one answered you about Tulum so I will. It is very much worth going to see, it's impressive, I loved it and have always wanted to go back.

The down side is that you can not get to it from "Cozumel" because it is on the mainland. You must take the ferry to the mainland, and then about a 1 1/2 hour bus ride to Tulum. If you are not on "Carnival's" tour and you are late getting back they will not hold the ship for you. The tour to Tulum is a long tour, I don't think Carnival offers it any more because of this. If you use a private tour operator, they may promise to get you back on time, but if something goes wrong ... your are stuck

There are plenty of things to do in Cozumel, the dolphin swim is really a great thing to do, check out Chankanaub (sp??) park there are so many things ot do there alone, snorkle, eat, drink, dolphin swim and lots more.

Have a great cruise!

T C

But why is the rum gone? ~ Capt. Jack Sparrow

also booked: 10/10/13 Carnival Victory B2B, 01/12/14 Carnival Sunshine
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Admiral

I agree with TC, the tour to the ruins is long and tiring. We took the excursion to Altun Ha in Belize and were so sorry we did. The bus ride was tedious, over horrible roads with huge potholes...the restrooms were flooded at the site, the hordes of bugs started biting as soon as we exited the bus (thank goodness I had brought insect repellent), we were not allowed to climb or sit on any of the ruins, it started to rain and the ground turned into a mud slide...I couldn't wait to get back to the ship and had to face that horrible hour long bus ride back. Hated it!!!

As far as Key West is concerned, it's a really cool place with tons of stuff to do. I live in Florida and the water temperature in the Gulf right now is 56 degrees so plan accordingly if you want to snorkel or swim. I'm sure the water temperature in Cozumel is a lot warmer. Cool stuff to do in Key West in addition to the Conch Tour: visit Ernest Hemingway's house, the Pirate Museum, the Shipwreck Museum which has a 60' lookout tower, Mel Fisher's Maritime Museum, Harry Truman's Little White House, Key West Aquarium. There are lots of restaurants and bars sprinkled all over (not just on Duval Street). If you like Key Lime pie, take a walk to the Blond Giraffe on Front Street, yummy. Dante's on Caroline Street has some great fish tacos and pitchers of beer and a huge pool in the middle of the restaurant for patron's use. All of the above mentioned are within walking distance of the dock.

Cozumel has some good shopping and nice beaches...we have been to Paradise Beach, Chankanaab Park and Playa Mia.
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

For more ideas on Cozumel visit Cozumel Insider - Cozumel MX - Activities, Accomodations, Trip planning and so much more... lots of tours etc.
We usually manage to eat at Pancho's Backyard, right downtown, it has lots of atria, good food, mariachi music playing.
If you want one of the dolphin experiences you can book direct with Swim with Dolphins at Dolphin Discovery on Mexico and the Caribbean it is at Chankanaab Park.