Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Passenger

Default Which cabin to pick?

I'm sure this has been debated ad nausem on here before, but I haven't seen any recent threads.

My wife and I are looking to go on the Conquest in September (we just had our first cruise on the Ecstasy last Thanksgiving) and are looking at an ocean view cabin, but these appear only to be available on the Riviera (1) and Main (2) decks. Early saver rates are restricted to a 6A which is restricted to Deck 1 fore and aft.

My wife says that we need to be higher on the ship and preferably in the middle to reduce the motion and engine noise (if in the rear), but neither of us are interested in a balcony (don't think we would gain that much for the extra cost, and hear too much about privacy/proximity to other cabins) and I don't think I would enjoy a interior much at all (I liked having a window). I noticed the 4J category which offers an "obstructed" view but these are at the front of the ship.

On our Ecstasy cruise last year we were in cabin E47 (starboard/fore) and you felt some motion, but I didn't think it was that big of a deal. I never went down to the lower decks, so I have no idea if it would be worse down there.

The only time I can say the motion was just bothersome was when we would eat at the Panorama grill (Lido deck, stern) and sometimes the motion was just crazy.

Anyone have any insight to offer? Would I be fine in a 6C on the Main deck, or would we be happier looking at an interior on an upper deck?
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My wife is the same way - some people feel motion more. Motion is definitely less mid-ships, and it is much worse far forward than it is partially forward. You want to stay away from the extremes.

Lower decks are slightly smoother than uppers, but with stablizers (which all ships have now) the side to side motion you might feel more on upper decks is rarely a factor.

Having a balcony is a really good thing for people who get motion sickness - they get fresh air and can see the horizon - this often helps. Most people prefer them.
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I enjoy the middle, middle... mid cabin, close to the elevator, and mid deck, not to high up, not too low down

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 5th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree Hugger View Post
My wife says that we need to be higher on the ship and preferably in the middle to reduce the motion and engine noise (if in the rear), but neither of us are interested in a balcony (don't think we would gain that much for the extra cost, and hear too much about privacy/proximity to other cabins) and I don't think I would enjoy a interior much at all (I liked having a window). I noticed the 4J category which offers an "obstructed" view but these are at the front of the ship.
Actually LOWER and mid ship is the least motion, so if you are prone, the higher you move the more motion you are going to feel. I love those 4Js myself, but if you are prone to motion sickness, I guess they are not for you.

For two people the biggest bargain is a 1A with twin and convertible sofa and a port hole, but the beds will be different heights .. so my next pick with be a PT, but thats me ...

The advantage of a OV is it is 220 s.f.... balconys are 185 s.f. inside, and standard balcony 35 s.f... so you dont gain any s.f..

I guess for you pick the lowest category mid ship balcony you are comfortable with if you want to be higher on the ship.
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Admiral

IMO, I'd choose the Riviera deck over the Main deck. The Riviera is under other cabins, the Main is under restaurants and the galley (NOISY !)

I would price a 6B on Riviera deck. (I tried, but the web site seems to be having problems-big surprise !)

As mentioned, the lower you are and the more midship you are the less movement you'll feel. Think of a seesaw-the middle has less movement than the ends.

Have a great cruise wherever you end up!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Familiar Face

I get very sea sick, but I use the patch. I enjoy being on deck 7 with cabins under me and over me, less noise. I also like being close to the front. We have booked these cabins the last four cruises and really enjoyed this location.
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II
Old March 6th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default Part forward worked for us

We were on Eurodam in the last week of February (I'm still dreaming in Eurodam themes!), and had a verandah cabin, starbord, right at the forward elevators. We were on the fifth deck (Verandah Deck; doh ).

Movement? very little. One night during what the log describes "moderate seas" there was some movement, but it was always far, far less than anything I've ever experienced in a passenger train.

The floor to ceiling wall onto the verandah was lovely and seemed to dissipate any notion of dizziness (very minor anyway) that my wife experienced.
Old March 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would for sure go with something in the middle, but seriously look into a balcony, should help a lot and they are very nice, especially with anyone that feels the pitch and movement of the ship. Its also a great way to enjoy the cruise, you may be suprised at how much you use it and like it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Passenger

Thanks guys.

We ended up booking a 6C on the Main deck after reading all of this and a few other google results, don't remember the cabin number off the top of my head.

Now I can't wait for September.
Old March 9th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

We cruised last on the Carnival Liberty, cabin # 7334. My wife doesn't like the ships motion, so we always get a cabin that is Middle/middle. This along with the motion sickness patch and she is fine. Get a balcony cabin, you can't go wrong.

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978