Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
Not to worry...the Magic does not come out until May 2011 and does most of the rest of the year in Europe...so the "change" around would be around November 2011.....
Yup sounds right, and I'd love to be on the transatlantic....

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Luanne,

Thanks for the link to your Conquest report from 2006. I read it today - great info and very detailed. Thanks for taking the time to do that!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Admiral

I have ten Conquest reviews on my Blog.......

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
Yup sounds right, and I'd love to be on the transatlantic....

You and me both!!!!

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiron View Post
SORRY......NOLA will be lucky to see a bass boat after this CATASTROPHE in the Gulf! Can't these Cruise lines sue BP for this negligence?? I damn sure hope so. It's unbelievable that this kind of Devil may care attitude can exist after the EXXON VALDEZ and the resulting treachery by EXXON. What a bunch of wastes of flesh. IMHO!!
What are you trying to say? There aren't any bass in the river. None that I would eat, anyway.

New Orleans is well equipped to deal with the situation and cleaning stations have already been set up but so far not needed. There is even the capability to clean some ships while underway, so no schedule impacts.

Oil spills? Texas has them too.

We plan on doing the TA, all the way from Barcelona to New Orleans!
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Z

Have you been watching Treme on HBO? Don't know how realistic it is, but I enjoy the show.

S

Future Cruises:
Old May 6th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Z

Have you been watching Treme on HBO? Don't know how realistic it is, but I enjoy the show.

S
Haven't seen it yet. I understand it is an excellent show and not a bad sound track. We were on our way to Hawaii when the show made its debut, but I can see all the episodes on HBOonDemand at least until July. Guess I might try to catch up on it this weekend.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Z

S
Didn't catch up on past episodes (yet), but caught last night's show and was very impressed. Recognized lots of locals and think the show qualifies as mostly real and entertaining to boot. I'm thinking awards will be coming.
Old May 10th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Admiral

I love the show.trying to get a gig as an extra
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
That sounds great!!
Well, you were right! Imagine that. Drinks are on me.

Conquest and Ecstasy to New Orleans and Triumph and Magic to Galveston.
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Familiar Face

Default magic transalantic

This is a email I got from my PVP for the magic transalantic cruise. Price have not been posted. It is a 16 day cruise starting 10/28/11. Here is the itinerary. Have a great day!

Day Port of Call Arrive Depart
FRI BARCELONA, SPAIN 5:00 PM
SAT PALMA DE MALLORCA, SPAIN 8:00 AM 6:00 PM
SUN FUN DAY AT SEA
MON MALAGA, SPAIN 8:00 AM 5:00 PM
TUE FUN DAY AT SEA
WED LAS PALMAS,CANARY IS 8:00 AM 4:00 PM
THU FUN DAY AT SEA
FRI FUN DAY AT SEA
SAT FUN DAY AT SEA
SUN FUN DAY AT SEA
MON FUN DAY AT SEA
TUE FUN DAY AT SEA
WED GRAND TURK 9:00 AM 6:00 PM
THU FUN DAY AT SEA
FRI FUN DAY AT SEA
SAT FUN DAY AT SEA
SUN GALVESTON, TX 8:00 AM
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Well, you were right! Imagine that. Drinks are on me.

Conquest and Ecstasy to New Orleans and Triumph and Magic to Galveston.

Cool!

Thanks for letting me know. I need to go find the announcement!

Future Cruises:
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Pricing is out because we are booked.

I think it is a SNAFU that Carnival opened bookings before any official announcement. Someone will probably be promoted as a result.
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Cool!

Thanks for letting me know. I need to go find the announcement!
No announcement yet.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old June 20th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Personally I am ready for some info so I can start making my TA plans......

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
Personally I am ready for some info so I can start making my TA plans......
If they had they may have had another booking, but this week I booked the Mariner of the Seas' first transatlantic to Galveston. I believe it leaves/arrives the week before the Magic.

Future Cruises:
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Who needs an announcement? We're booked!
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Who needs an announcement? We're booked!
I saw that you were and someone posted the itinerary. I guess I'll save the Magic for the next TA. I will sail from Galveston first though, but I'll have your photos to guide me.

Future Cruises:
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I saw that you were and someone posted the itinerary. I guess I'll save the Magic for the next TA. I will sail from Galveston first though, but I'll have your photos to guide me.
I think the next TA after that will be Carnival Breeze!
Old June 24th, 2010, 09:51 PM
Admiral

The announcement was in the Houston Chronicle today.... the Magic arrives in Galveston and sails on Nov. 14, 2011. Then the Triumph comes to Galveston on Oct 6. The article doesn't say 2010 or 2011. I would say 2011. The Conquest and Ecstasy move to New Orleans. Here is the story...

Galveston gets largest cruise ship in Texas history

By HARVEY RICE
Copyright 2010 HOUSTON CHRONICLE

June 23, 2010, 8:47PM

GALVESTON While the Port of Houston's $87 million cruise terminal sits vacant two years after being built, the Port of Galveston on Wednesday said it has snagged the largest cruise ship ever to be based in Texas.

The Carnival Cruise Lines vessel Carnival Magic will begin sailing from Galveston on Nov. 14, 2011, Galveston Port Director Steve Cernak said.
Cernak said the Magic is so large, with berths for 3,690 passengers, that the port will have to build a new gangway to accommodate it. The new ship is expected to boost Galveston's reputation as a cruise-line home port and add revenues to the city's economy.

"This puts us in the upper echelon of home ports," Cernak said.
The largest cruise ship now based in Texas, in passenger size, is the Carnival Lines' 2,974-passenger Carnival Conquest, one of two Carnival cruise ships based in Galveston. The Carnival Conquest and the 2,052-passenger Carnival Ecstasy will move to New Orleans and be replaced in Galveston by the Carnival Magic and the 2,758-passenger Carnival Triumph. The Triumph moves to Galveston on Oct. 6.

A Royal Caribbean Lines cruise ship is based in Galveston part of the year.
The 130,000-ton Carnival Magic will boost the number of Carnival passengers coming through the Galveston cruise ship terminal by 28 percent, Cernak said. The two ships are expected to carry more than 450,000 passengers per year once they begin operation.
'Pretty significant'

The Carnival Magic is a new ship, and the company's decision to base it in Galveston rather than the prime Florida market shows how important Texas is, Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer De la Cruz said.

"The commitment of a new ship outside Florida is pretty significant and is pretty rare," De la Cruz said. "We have built up our presence in Galveston over many years, and we have been able to do that because the Texas and Southwestern market is so strong for us."

De la Cruz said Carnival chose Galveston over Houston because of the cruise line's long-standing relationship with the port and its closer access to the Gulf.

The Port of Houston Authority's Pasadena cruise terminal has yet to have a regular cruise service. The facility was built in 2008 and is next to the Port's Bayport Container Terminal.
The only time cruise ships called on it was when Hurricane Ike damaged the Port of Galveston. Two Carnival Cruise Lines ships relocated to Houston for more than a month.

"It's a beautiful facility with state-of-the-art everything," said Chris Matthews, a principal in the Dallas office of A.T. Kearney, a global management consulting firm. "The Houston cruise terminal is an example of some mis-estimating. The demand has not materialized for many reasons."
Part of the problem is that the 96,000-square-foot facility is located near industrial plants and about a 45-minute drive from downtown Houston, he said.
"Travelers are looking for an attractive destination on both ends of the cruise," Matthews said. "Galveston and New Orleans have much more to offer right there than the Houston cruise terminal."
Ricky Kunz, vice president for origination at the Port of Houston, said the port is continuing to talk to cruise companies about home-porting vessels at the facility.
"Because of required cruise marketing and vessel redeployment, it can take a cruise line up to two, three years before moving into a new port or market," Kunz said.
The chairman of the Galveston Wharves Board, which oversees the Port Authority, said the revenue source of the two port districts may help explain why Houston's terminal remains vacant. Chairman John Eckel said the Galveston port is supported by its own earnings and the Houston port by tax dollars.
"That's why they did engage in a 'build it and they will come' Field of Dreams arrangement," Eckel said.
$8 million in upgrades

Norwegian Cruise Line did operate from the Port of Houston's Barbours Cut Terminal from 1997 until 2001 and again from 2003 until April 2007.
Cernak said the Galveston port is investing more than $8 million in improvements to serve the Carnival Magic, including more walkways and moorings. The improvements will allow the cruise terminal to handle any cruise vessel in the Western Hemisphere, he said.
The increased number of passengers is expected to have a big economic effect on the port and the city, Cernak said. The port gets its income from cruise line and passenger fees, including fees for parking in port-owned parking lots. Cernak couldn't immediately give an estimate of how much the new ships would add to the port's earnings.
A state-by-state 2009 economic impact study by the Cruise Line International Association showed $1.1 billion in direct purchases related to the cruise line business in Texas for 2008. The numbers apply to Galveston because it has the only operating cruise line terminal in the state.

Texas scores again!!! I will be making reservations for the maiden voyage soon!

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Beginner

Default A new article I read that came out today in New Orleans.

Beginning next fall, Carnival Cruise Lines will have two cruise ships leaving daily from New Orleans, returning the city to its pre-Hurricane Katrina cruise ship levels.

Eliot Kamenitz, The Times-PicayuneThe Carnival Triumph is anchored at the Erato Street Cruise Terminal in November, 2009.
"I think it's huge and I think this will probably put us very close to the distinction as the fastest-growing cruise port in America," said Gary LaGrange, president and CEO of the Port of New Orleans.

Share In announcing the plans for an additional cruise ship on Wednesday, Carnival officials said two ships currently in Galveston, Texas -- the Carnival Conquest and the Carnival Ecstasy -- will switch to New Orleans. The Carnival Triumph, currently cruising out of New Orleans, will join a newly christened cruise ship in Galveston in the fall of 2011.

"This announcement . . . is a more special one for us than a lot of other announcements just because we've had such a long relationship with New Orleans and are really happy to be part of the renaissance of New Orleans," said Jennifer de la Cruz, director of public relations for Carnival. The cruise line had two boats positioned in New Orleans in 2004.

There are two other cruise ships operating out of New Orleans, one from Norweigian Lines that just recently switched to a year-round schedule and a Royal Caribbean vessel that makes seasonal departures.

The transitioning of the Carnival ships will take place in two stages, officials said. The Ecstasy will begin daily cruises from New Orleans on Sept. 22, 2011, while the Conquest will begin cruises from the city nearly two months later on Nov. 13.

LaGrange said New Orleans and Galveston are now neck-and-neck in the battle for the title as the top Gulf Coast cruise port.

"I think what's happening is the city has rebuilt itself, has rebuilt its reputation and visitors are really, really high on coming to New Orleans," LaGrange said. "The Super Bowl is coming, the Final Four is coming. If you think in terms of a cruise, you're not going to get the ambience (in Galveston) of what we say is two vacations in one in New Orleans."

LaGrange said he also is optimistic that financing will be secured within the next year to begin work to renovate the Poland Street Cruise Terminal, providing the room to bring in another cruise ship, perhaps another Carnival vessel.

De la Cruz offered a complimentary, though diplomatic, assessment of the city's chances.
"I can't really say what the future might bring, but in any port where we operate from, when things are going well we tend to continue to want to grow the program and add capacity. Whether we will add capacity anytime soon, it's just to early to say."

LaGrange said he's bullish about additional growth in the cruise ship industry in New Orleans. The port recorded 734,000 passengers during its peak year in 2004. The Carnival announcement, plus a potential third cruise terminal, points to an even brighter future.
Barring any catastrophic events, (we're projecting) we'll approach - within next 2 years - that we'll hit 1 million passengers for the first time."
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:53 AM
Familiar Face

This article posted in the Houston Chronicle, June 23, 2010, might interest some of you. Look forward to November, 2011. The article is lenghty, but now we have it.
GALVESTON While the Port of Houston's $87 million cruise terminal sits vacant two years after being built, the Port of Galveston on Wednesday said it has snagged the largest cruise ship ever to be based in Texas.
The Carnival Cruise Lines vessel Carnival Magic will begin sailing from Galveston on Nov. 14, 2011, Galveston Port Director Steve Cernak said.
Cernak said the Magic is so large, with berths for 3,690 passengers, that the port will have to build a new gangway to accommodate it. The new ship is expected to boost Galveston's reputation as a cruise-line home port and add revenues to the city's economy.
"This puts us in the upper echelon of home ports," Cernak said.
The largest cruise ship now based in Texas, in passenger size, is the Carnival Lines' 2,974-passenger Carnival Conquest, one of two Carnival cruise ships based in Galveston. The Carnival Conquest and the 2,052-passenger Carnival Ecstasy will move to New Orleans and be replaced in Galveston by the Carnival Magic and the 2,758-passenger Carnival Triumph. The Triumph moves to Galveston on Oct. 6.

Carnival Ecstasy 2008
Carnival Ecstasy 2009
Carnival Conquest 2010
Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Triumph 2013
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Captain

Would love to do a Conquest cruise before she goes to New Orleans BUT the airfare is high from Denver to Houston...
We did the Splendor out of Long Beach last year & was able to fly SouthWest with 2 free check-in bags which helped a lot...
Was also able to use the train to get down to Long Beach at a LOW cost...

Question..??
If we flew into Houston is there a lite Train or even a Bus that can be taken from the airport to the Conquest in Galveston??

We may just do the Splendor this year & the Magic in 2011..
Thanks,

Conquest .... Nov /03 (New Orleans)
Conquest .... Dec /05 (Galveston)
Celebration.. Sept /06 (Jacksonville)
Fantasy....... Dec/07 (New Orleans)
Splendor...... Nov. 29th, 2009

Splendor...... Nov. 28th, 2010 (booked)

Last edited by Bob M; June 27th, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Admiral

There are shuttles from Hobby to the Port, but really, the cruise prices are cheaper (for now) from New Orleans!
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Bob, we few into Houston (Hobby) the evening before the cruise and stayed at an airport hotel. The hotel shuttle picked us up and the next morning took us back to the airport, where we caught the Carnival transfer bus. It's $30.00 pp one way, but it was very easy! The transfer from IAH is $40.00 pp. Here's the link: Houston Airport to Port of Galveston Transfers | Carnival Cruise Lines

Of course, if you want to stay in Galveston, that won't work .

I know there's not a train and I've never seen a bus service mentioned. There may be a shuttle or limo service, but we haven't used it.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 27th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz

The Phil & Liz shuttle service operates on a limited basis depending on timing etc.

When are you planning to sail?

We are looking at maybe doing the first sailing from Galveston of the Magic.

Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Captain

We are looking at the Jan. 16th, 2011 sailing as it has the best pricing at $389

We may just do the Splendor again & the Magic out of Galveston the next year.

Thanks for the link, will look into it.

Old June 28th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Galveston has been the most expensive port to sail from for well over a year. Very rarely see any specials from there either. Just too high of a demand. That's the main reason CCL is increasing cabin numbers with the two new ships. When the 'new' wears off a bit after 2011 hopefully the pricing from Galveston will 'equal out' and be about the same as other ports. It's a money maker for CCL now. NOLA will probably always be cheaper than Galveston.

Future Cruises:

Last edited by Snoozeman; June 28th, 2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old June 28th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Captain

Thanks Snoozeman....
Sounds logical...

We just booked the Splendor for Nov. 28, 2010...
Will try to do the Magic in 2011 or early 2012..
Thanks for all the help..

Old June 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Familiar Face

I live in Houston and have not sailed out of Galvestion. I can not see paying so much when I can drive to New Orleans and save over $400 or more on a cruise. I can donate that money to the casino. In November I paid for airfare, two nights in New York and a 8 day cruise on the Dream and it was cheaper than out of Galvestion after I paid for it all