CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Latest Galveston Rumors / Conquest back to NOLA (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/372402-latest-galveston-rumors-conquest-back-nola.html)

Snoozeman March 9th, 2010 09:18 PM

Latest Galveston Rumors / Conquest back to NOLA

As many of you know I am very hopeful that Galveston will be the home port for the new Carnival Magic. I've been hopeful of this for over a year. Well a very good cruising friend from Bosque County just returned from a Carnival cruise (not saying which) and spent some quality time with the Captain. He told her that when the changes are made in Galveston that the Conquest will return to New Orleans. Good for NOLA. What I hope this means is that the new Carnival Magic will be in Galveston half the year (similar to what the Voyager does now) and that we will have two full time CCL ships. Sounds good to me.;)

beenie weenie March 9th, 2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1279167)
As many of you know I am very hopeful that Galveston will be the home port for the new Carnival Magic. I've been hopeful of this for over a year. Well a very good cruising friend from Bosque County just returned from a Carnival cruise (not saying which) and spent some quality time with the Captain. He told her that when the changes are made in Galveston that the Conquest will return to New Orleans. Good for NOLA. What I hope this means is that the new Carnival Magic will be in Galveston half the year (similar to what the Voyager does now) and that we will have two full time CCL ships. Sounds good to me.;)

This would make me very, very happy!

flowers March 10th, 2010 05:45 PM

My PVP said she heard the same rumor ... but until I had told her that Id heard it. That Conquest was going to N.O. and we would get Magic.

Gail4cruising March 10th, 2010 06:08 PM

When is Magic going into service officially? I would be thrilled to have Conquest come back to New Orleans. That is one of our favorite ports to cruise from. We were scheduled to go out on the Conquest when Katrina occured and Conquest was moved to Galveston.

Phil&Liz March 10th, 2010 07:43 PM

Were ok with this, too. Conquest is a great ship but it would be nice to get a "new" ship around here.

Phil & Liz

Trip March 10th, 2010 10:32 PM

Doing the western too? Boy you guys need to go east:)

venice March 10th, 2010 10:45 PM

the Conquest deserves to come home:cool::cool::cool:..this is good news if true

zydecocruiser March 11th, 2010 12:14 AM

Maybe Conquest will come home, and Triumph will go to Galveston, which would leave Magic going to New Orleans! :razz:

Snoozeman March 11th, 2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1279450)
Maybe Conquest will come home, and Triumph will go to Galveston, which would leave Magic going to New Orleans! :razz:

Not going to happen!;)

I know your kidding, but it is nice that the Conquest will be going back to NOLA. Still close enough for me. Looks like Ecstasy, Triumph, and Magic for Galveston. I guess the Voyager and Magic will each have the same ports: Barcelona & Galveston.

zydecocruiser March 11th, 2010 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1279452)
Not going to happen!;)

I know your kidding, but it is nice that the Conquest will be going back to NOLA. Still close enough for me. Looks like Ecstasy, Triumph, and Magic for Galveston. I guess the Voyager and Magic will each have the same ports: Barcelona & Galveston.

Only partly kidding and also tossing in some Gris-gris.

I'm not convinced Galveston will get a trade and a first round pick for Conquest. Maybe Splendor? I wouldn't mind another South America cruise.

It is nice that NCL has decided to home port in New Orleans year round with 7 day cruises, but Carnival has nothing there to compete with them. Carnival will have to have at least two ships in New Orleans, if they want to dominate. Two ships is what they used to have and they were doing well.

Both Carnival and NCL are raising prices, so I think we will see lots of ship happening as both try to optimize profits.

Europe is turning out to be hot hot hot again - another wildcard.

We'll be on the first two Magic cruises and are planning on being on the TA cruise to...... New Orleans! Who Dat! :D

zydecocruiser March 11th, 2010 01:26 AM

p.s. Snooze - win, lose, or draw on Magic, I still owe you a drink or three. ;)

Snoozeman March 11th, 2010 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zydecocruiser (Post 1279460)
p.s. Snooze - win, lose, or draw on Magic, I still owe you a drink or three. ;)

That sounds great!!:)

ski49 March 24th, 2010 12:01 AM

I think the Triumph is scheduled to remain in NOLA until the end of the year. This is the first I've heard about returning the Conquest. My 1st cruise was before Katrina out of NOLA on the Conquest so I am a little sentimental about it as I had a fantastic time and have cruised Carnival since then.

mclinns04 May 1st, 2010 07:45 PM

We are booked on the Conquest 2/27/11. Now I am wondering what will happen if they DO change.

lhp May 1st, 2010 07:52 PM

I think there may be a bit of changing around.

IF Carnival is serious about keeping a ship in Europe every year, the Splendor is the obvious choice since it has the Lido roof for cold or rainy weather.

I would love to see the Magic go to Galveston....I need another reason to spend some days at the Strand District and Harbor House!!!

I don't care which ships they sail out of New Orleans...as long as there is a ship (or ships) there....

Kimbopolo May 1st, 2010 10:37 PM

We are sailing Triumph out of NO 11/10. We like NO and are hoping this may become a good "home" port for us.

My question: should we be happy if Conquest returns there? Sounds like she's a favorite. Can you Conquest fans enlighten me? Thanks!

T C May 1st, 2010 10:50 PM

;) I heard this about 3 weeks ago, and from what I heard the estimated time period is January 2011 :p

I'll be gald to have the Conquest back in NOLA .. where it belongs ;) It decorated with New Orleans in mind!

TC

rjalexie May 1st, 2010 11:39 PM

Went to travel agent this past week to book another cruise and they said now that Royal is bringing the Voyager of the Seas to New Orleans Carnival is thinking real deep about bringing the new Carnival Magic to New Orleans for competition. Regardless of the ship now New Orleans will have 3 lines cruising from here by 2011. Maybe the competition for pricing will be good. Rick

optiron May 2nd, 2010 07:02 AM

SORRY......NOLA will be lucky to see a bass boat after this CATASTROPHE in the Gulf! Can't these Cruise lines sue BP for this negligence?? I damn sure hope so. It's unbelievable that this kind of Devil may care attitude can exist after the EXXON VALDEZ and the resulting treachery by EXXON. What a bunch of wastes of flesh. IMHO!!:mad: :(:(:mad::(:(

Phil&Liz May 2nd, 2010 09:56 AM

At the end of his run as CD on Conquest he was really impressed with how the SE Texas market supports Carnival.

It would be nice to have Magic here going up against Mariner thats due to arrive November 2011.

Phil & Liz

Magnolia Blossom May 2nd, 2010 10:16 PM

I just got off the Ecstasy yesterday and Neil, the future cruise consultant, after his presentation on Friday, said it is official (although not published) that the Magic will be coming to Galv. and Conquest returns to NO.

I could not get his ear long enough to ask the particulars such as when it will arive, itineraries, etc. but I guess this is closer to an official answer.

Luanne Russo May 2nd, 2010 11:04 PM

Question? Magic is a Conquest size or bigger?

Snoozeman May 2nd, 2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luanne Russo (Post 1289750)
Question? Magic is a Conquest size or bigger?

Larger, new design as well.

Conquest
Built 2002 Tons 110239 Passengers 3530
Speed 22.5 Length 952 Beam 116

Magic
Built 2011 Tons 128000 Passengers 4631
Speed 22.5 Length 1004 Beam 121

Snoozeman May 3rd, 2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclinns04 (Post 1289583)
We are booked on the Conquest 2/27/11. Now I am wondering what will happen if they DO change.

It would be after your cruise.

cruise soon May 3rd, 2010 02:40 AM

Conquest back to NOLA

I had the same question as another member, because we are booked on the Conquest for 12/19/2010. If what is being said is true, I hope the change is after that. I think the change would be accepted as long as we have a ship leaving Galveston. I never thought of the Magic as we would have to travel a distance to get to it. But, if it comes to Galveston, I will surely cruise on it. Would our agent know of these proposed changes?

Kimbopolo May 3rd, 2010 09:41 AM

I'll ask again: sounds like people are fans of Conquest.

Why is that?

(I don't know the ship - just curious).

T C May 3rd, 2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoozeman (Post 1289757)
It would be after your cruise.

Ray, what date did you hear? I had heard January 2011, but you say it will be after 02/27/11? That would mean sometime in March '11 or later?

TC

Snoozeman May 3rd, 2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimbopolo (Post 1289790)
I'll ask again: sounds like people are fans of Conquest.

Why is that?

(I don't know the ship - just curious).

It's not the ship per se, it's the home port. Read John Heald's blog, he just left the Conquest as relief CD. He had heard so much about it that he wanted to experience it for himself. It's different sailing from Texas. The crew love it.

Luanne Russo May 3rd, 2010 12:50 PM

I personally think it has all to do about the people on the ship. I house does not become a home without the love that brings from those who live there.

I have cruised from the East coast, and many times from Galveston, and the difference is so amazing.

I have also written about the Conquest, if you would like to read it. The connection is here below my signature. It's kind of long, and some of the info is outdated, but you still get the sense of what it's like on the Conquest.

I am glad that NO might get her Conquest back, because it was a double sadness for those who lost almost everything, and then lost their favorite ship.

I would love to see the Magic in Galveston, but you know, for those who have cruised out of Galveston know that they could send a row boat, and the people of Texas would still have a good time.

lhp May 3rd, 2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruise soon (Post 1289765)
I had the same question as another member, because we are booked on the Conquest for 12/19/2010. If what is being said is true, I hope the change is after that. I think the change would be accepted as long as we have a ship leaving Galveston. I never thought of the Magic as we would have to travel a distance to get to it. But, if it comes to Galveston, I will surely cruise on it. Would our agent know of these proposed changes?

Not to worry...the Magic does not come out until May 2011 and does most of the rest of the year in Europe...so the "change" around would be around November 2011.....