CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Regarding upgrades (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/372425-regarding-upgrades.html)

Gail4cruising March 10th, 2010 05:25 PM

Regarding upgrades

I was wondering if some of you that did receive an upgrade would tell me how it occured. I have never rec or been offered an upgrade after booking. I have been told by the PVP I have used it depends on how much you paid for your booking. If you paid a higher price at time of your booking you would most likely be the one offered upgrades. I usually get a good price before booking because I start looking pretty far from the cruise so does this mean I will not ever get lucky and rec an upgrade. I would think how many cruises you had been on SHOULD play into who gets the offer. It seems like loyalty to a line would be worth that?

Mike M March 10th, 2010 05:42 PM

Upgrades are handled by the cruise line's inventory management department.

I personally believe they have a large dart board with names and cabin numbers on it. They blindfold themselves and thow x number of darts and the names they hit get the corresponding cabin. :D

I'm joking but it really seems that's the way it works. I have been told and have read about how cruise lines do their upgrading and none of them really seem to be the "real" answer. There are many factors that are used but they seem to use one factor such as "price paid" one time and then "new cruisers" the next.

I have received a couple of, what I would call, upgrades. These were going from a balcony to a suite and from a balcony to a mini-suite. Why I received the upgrade? I have no idea. It wasn't because I was a moderator with Cruisemates.

The best advice I can give is book a cabin in the category you will be happy with and if you do get an upgrade then it's icing on the cake.

I personally do not consider a change from a BA to BB a true upgrade. This is more just moving around inventory.

I had to laugh when one cruiser, seriously, posted that they always received an upgrade. They always booked a BL (Balcony Guarantee) and they were always upgraded to at least a BA balcony. :rolleyes: A BA is the lowest category balcony and a BL states that you will receive a balcony.

I hope that the Upgrade Fairy is good to you. Keep Hope Alive.

Take care,
Mike

Gail4cruising March 10th, 2010 09:18 PM

I always wondered ...does picking your cabin make you less likely to get an upgrade or are you better off to just book in the "guarantee" category if you truly want to gamble on getting an upgrade? I guess I always assumed if you picked a specific cabin then they just leave you in that stateroom because you actually did pick it yourself?

Trip March 10th, 2010 09:29 PM

I would think they would give the upgrades to the gamblers who booked the guarentees. For me, I like a cabin close by the elevator..If they decided to bump me up a few decks, but far away from an elevator, I would, I would rather not have it...

Fern March 11th, 2010 07:04 PM

Like Trip, I think they first move the guarantee people up, then they offer upgrades to other people. How they make that decision is the Upgrade Fairy's secret :). Some of us book the area we want and don't want to be "upgraded". For instance, I want to be between two passenger decks, near (but not too near) the elevators and near the laundry room.

We were offered an Upsell once, which we took. It was from a balcony to an Owner's Suite on NCL. I can't remember how much it cost, but I know it was a lot less than the original fare. I don't know how they decide to offer those, either :(.

Gail, I've wondered if "loyalty" reduces your chances of an upgrade? After all, you've already proved you're going to sail with Carnival!

Gail4cruising March 12th, 2010 12:51 AM

Fern...I think you may be right. As much as I love Carnival maybe it is time to try RC again?

rosetattoo March 12th, 2010 09:36 AM

I am Platinum on Carnival and the only time I received an upgrade was...two weeks before I cruised, my TA called and told me that Carnival had buyers for two balcony connecting rooms and asked if we would upgrade to a Cat. 11 which is a suite so they could have our staterooms.

I was also told by a Carnival Rep that upgrades are given first to passengers who have paid full price for a cruise.

Lots of people on these Boards claim that they have received upgrades numerous. If you're moving from an interior on the Riviera Deck to an interior on the Upper Deck, I don't call that an upgrade, they're just moving you around and the location of that stateroom on the Upper Deck can be close to a noisy area of the ship or even worse, near the galley. If someone books a balcony room and wants an interior room across the hall for their children, they will ask you to move from that interior room to accommodate the guests who are purchasing two staterooms.

It's all a crap shoot when it comes to upgrades. We always book a stateroom in the location we want because the upgrade fairy rarely shines on us.

Donna March 12th, 2010 09:57 AM

Hey Mike,
I like the dart board policy :-) Most of the time, I do book a guarantee catagory and so far, no upgrade, so I have no idea what exactly they look at.

Cruznut2 March 13th, 2010 04:51 AM

Several times I have received an upgrade at check in. Of course AFTER my luggage is merrily on it's way to the wrong room! I love getting booted up to a balcony from an ocean view, I just wish they would do it sooner. Every time this happens I usually find my luggage sitting at the original cabin assignment. Oh well, it's cruise ship, I am on it and I am happy!!:D

Laura

Donna March 13th, 2010 05:31 AM

I would love if that happened to me :-) I'm sure its easy to track down luggage..

Dutchman March 14th, 2010 02:27 PM

After going thru this upsell/upgrade deal. Our name was submitted to the IMG by our TA. Out OF our last 3 cruises we were called 1 time for (upsell) to a suite 11 CAT from a 8A in JAN on the Liberty but we had a 9A and were happy. They wanted $400 extra or $200 ea.
Number 2 was called for a upsell from a balcony on the Pride to a GS for $500 ea. We had a great price on that balcony and it cost $1242.00 ea for the GS. Check out the price for a GS on a spirit class, it was a good deal and we just got back, we had not so great wather and were in the room alot. Our PVP keeps sending our name to be called but that don't mean we will get called, depends what they are trying to move. Each cruise will be different and how many people turn down the deal till they get to you, if they ever do. I think the free upgrades are a thing of the past. People are taking the deals to move up. The 3rd cruise we never got called.

michaelandJoanne March 14th, 2010 07:21 PM

I have been upgraded once, a week before the cruise and my personal opinion is that when a particular cruise is undersold, they upgrade people from rooms they can sell-off to rooms that are harder to sell off. They would rather upgrade someone from a balcony to a suite and sell the balcony room, than trying to sell a suite and risking it leaving empty.