Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Regarding upgrades

I was wondering if some of you that did receive an upgrade would tell me how it occured. I have never rec or been offered an upgrade after booking. I have been told by the PVP I have used it depends on how much you paid for your booking. If you paid a higher price at time of your booking you would most likely be the one offered upgrades. I usually get a good price before booking because I start looking pretty far from the cruise so does this mean I will not ever get lucky and rec an upgrade. I would think how many cruises you had been on SHOULD play into who gets the offer. It seems like loyalty to a line would be worth that?
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Upgrades are handled by the cruise line's inventory management department.

I personally believe they have a large dart board with names and cabin numbers on it. They blindfold themselves and thow x number of darts and the names they hit get the corresponding cabin.

I'm joking but it really seems that's the way it works. I have been told and have read about how cruise lines do their upgrading and none of them really seem to be the "real" answer. There are many factors that are used but they seem to use one factor such as "price paid" one time and then "new cruisers" the next.

I have received a couple of, what I would call, upgrades. These were going from a balcony to a suite and from a balcony to a mini-suite. Why I received the upgrade? I have no idea. It wasn't because I was a moderator with Cruisemates.

The best advice I can give is book a cabin in the category you will be happy with and if you do get an upgrade then it's icing on the cake.

I personally do not consider a change from a BA to BB a true upgrade. This is more just moving around inventory.

I had to laugh when one cruiser, seriously, posted that they always received an upgrade. They always booked a BL (Balcony Guarantee) and they were always upgraded to at least a BA balcony. A BA is the lowest category balcony and a BL states that you will receive a balcony.

I hope that the Upgrade Fairy is good to you. Keep Hope Alive.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

I always wondered ...does picking your cabin make you less likely to get an upgrade or are you better off to just book in the "guarantee" category if you truly want to gamble on getting an upgrade? I guess I always assumed if you picked a specific cabin then they just leave you in that stateroom because you actually did pick it yourself?
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Dream May 2010
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I would think they would give the upgrades to the gamblers who booked the guarentees. For me, I like a cabin close by the elevator..If they decided to bump me up a few decks, but far away from an elevator, I would, I would rather not have it...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Like Trip, I think they first move the guarantee people up, then they offer upgrades to other people. How they make that decision is the Upgrade Fairy's secret . Some of us book the area we want and don't want to be "upgraded". For instance, I want to be between two passenger decks, near (but not too near) the elevators and near the laundry room.

We were offered an Upsell once, which we took. It was from a balcony to an Owner's Suite on NCL. I can't remember how much it cost, but I know it was a lot less than the original fare. I don't know how they decide to offer those, either .

Gail, I've wondered if "loyalty" reduces your chances of an upgrade? After all, you've already proved you're going to sail with Carnival!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Fern...I think you may be right. As much as I love Carnival maybe it is time to try RC again?
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Dream May 2010
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Admiral

I am Platinum on Carnival and the only time I received an upgrade was...two weeks before I cruised, my TA called and told me that Carnival had buyers for two balcony connecting rooms and asked if we would upgrade to a Cat. 11 which is a suite so they could have our staterooms.

I was also told by a Carnival Rep that upgrades are given first to passengers who have paid full price for a cruise.

Lots of people on these Boards claim that they have received upgrades numerous. If you're moving from an interior on the Riviera Deck to an interior on the Upper Deck, I don't call that an upgrade, they're just moving you around and the location of that stateroom on the Upper Deck can be close to a noisy area of the ship or even worse, near the galley. If someone books a balcony room and wants an interior room across the hall for their children, they will ask you to move from that interior room to accommodate the guests who are purchasing two staterooms.

It's all a crap shoot when it comes to upgrades. We always book a stateroom in the location we want because the upgrade fairy rarely shines on us.
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hey Mike,
I like the dart board policy :-) Most of the time, I do book a guarantee catagory and so far, no upgrade, so I have no idea what exactly they look at.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 13th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cruznut2 Send a message via Yahoo to Cruznut2

Several times I have received an upgrade at check in. Of course AFTER my luggage is merrily on it's way to the wrong room! I love getting booted up to a balcony from an ocean view, I just wish they would do it sooner. Every time this happens I usually find my luggage sitting at the original cabin assignment. Oh well, it's cruise ship, I am on it and I am happy!!

Laura
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“
---Mark Twain

Old March 13th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would love if that happened to me :-) I'm sure its easy to track down luggage..

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 14th, 2010, 02:27 PM
First Mate

After going thru this upsell/upgrade deal. Our name was submitted to the IMG by our TA. Out OF our last 3 cruises we were called 1 time for (upsell) to a suite 11 CAT from a 8A in JAN on the Liberty but we had a 9A and were happy. They wanted $400 extra or $200 ea.
Number 2 was called for a upsell from a balcony on the Pride to a GS for $500 ea. We had a great price on that balcony and it cost $1242.00 ea for the GS. Check out the price for a GS on a spirit class, it was a good deal and we just got back, we had not so great wather and were in the room alot. Our PVP keeps sending our name to be called but that don't mean we will get called, depends what they are trying to move. Each cruise will be different and how many people turn down the deal till they get to you, if they ever do. I think the free upgrades are a thing of the past. People are taking the deals to move up. The 3rd cruise we never got called.
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Passenger

I have been upgraded once, a week before the cruise and my personal opinion is that when a particular cruise is undersold, they upgrade people from rooms they can sell-off to rooms that are harder to sell off. They would rather upgrade someone from a balcony to a suite and sell the balcony room, than trying to sell a suite and risking it leaving empty.