CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Carnival's web site makes me want to punt a litter of cute little puppies off a cliff (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/372453-carnivals-web-site-makes-me-want-punt-litter-cute-little-puppies-off-cliff.html)

Tree Hugger March 11th, 2010 01:14 PM

Carnival's web site makes me want to punt a litter of cute little puppies off a cliff

I made a reservation for a September 2010 on the Conquest this past Sunday. I checked my bank balance today and noticed the deposit I thought I had paid Carnival had not gone through so I checked their website. According to Carnival.com I had cancelled the reservation, which I hadn't so I called customer service. I was informed by the rep that the CC I had used for payment was shown as "invalid", I guess I typed a wrong number. She said to just go back through the web site and book again as the cabin assignment had been released. No big deal, it was my mistake, so I move on.

I go back through the booking procedure and click the "Book Now" button after I enter my CC info and wait, and wait, and wait. Finally I get an error message from Carnival and it says to click the "back" button (theirs, not the browsers) and try again. I do that, same result. I start to wonder if it is my browser so I switch from Firefox to Internet Explorer and try again, bingo it works, I get a confirmation page, booking number and everything. (I should note at this point that I was having to select a different cabin each time because it wasn't providing the same numbers, this should have been a HUGE red flag, but I digress).

I check my accounts online a while later and notice THREE separate $500 charges from Carnival, time to call customer service again. After some searching and explaining, because he was only finding one booking under my name, so I had him lookup the different cabin numbers, it turns out that the two "error"ed bookings had indeed gone through, in addition to the one that I had actually gotten a confirmation from, sheesh. He asked if I was sure I didn't need the additional cabins (well, I guess my wife and I might need a couple of backup cabins in case of emergency), but I say no and after key punching and a couple trips on hold everything was finally resolved.

What sucks is that the extra charges won't be credited back to my account for a couple of days:cry:. I know they have to get it fully INTO their system before they can take it OUT of their system, but it just feels weird having an extra $1,000 floating around in no man's land.

I really need my vacation now.:cool:

Brian J March 11th, 2010 01:29 PM

This is the sole reason I use a TA everytime! Just takes the hassle out of booking for us.

luv2vacation63 March 11th, 2010 01:50 PM

yes, you do need a vacation with all you've been through, so hopefully no cute little puppies will get kicked over that cliff.

Tree Hugger March 11th, 2010 01:51 PM

we used a TA last time. If I called him to ask a question (usually after reading something confusing on Carnival.com) I would have to wait while he went to the same site I was already looking at and just read the page to me, providing no useful info, if I called Carnival, they always cleared things up quickly.

I guess I need to look into a cruise-specific TA to prevent these things in the future.

2Littletime March 11th, 2010 01:59 PM

I can totally relate to your Carnival Website frustration. For two hours I tried unsuccessfully to book a particular cruise, every time the whole list of prices would come up with the various cabin categories, then I would click the one I wanted and it would go into wait mode, time would pass then it would eventually come up with a box that said "promo code not valid" well I wasn't enterring any promo codes, just selecting the cabin type and rate type from the list they gave me. I finally caved in and called my so-so PVP and said 'hey, what gives?" He responds "I don't know, it must mean you should be using a PVP" I managed to hold back on the "hey, if they'd assign me one that wasn't so cocky all the time I might." Eventually, I finally get this ship to show me cabins, the only ones they show are the highest of the rates and only doubles, no quads. Fed up completely with the website, I booked with a TA. Normally I don't but I was soooo frustrated. Not frustrated enough to punt puppies, but frustrated enough to possibly use some unladylike expressions.

Mike M March 11th, 2010 03:08 PM

I can understand your frustration. I hate it when websites have response time or database problems. It is VERY frustrating and leads to a lot of errors.

When booking a cruise I always speak to someone. I now use on Travel Agent for most of my cruises but when I used a few "online" agencies I still spoke to a representative and on a couple of occasions was able to get a lower price or added amenities that I would not have received if I booked online. It pays to ask: "Is there any price reductions or added amenities I can get with this?"

So: Go kick the puppies (hopefully stuffed animals) off the cliff and then enjoy your, finally booked, cruise.

Take care,
Mike

Master Chief March 11th, 2010 03:10 PM

Well, I don't want to be a smarty pants, but I have always used a Carnival PVP and she has been more than accommodating for us. Am I lucky? Is it because she knows I am a senior citizen and she always takes her time in explaining things to us? Or is it just my wonderful personality at work? I guess of the three I would have to say she knows I am a senior citizen :-). Sorry you had such a difficult time. But just think: when you are finally on the cruise and underway this will all be a thing of the past!

katlady March 11th, 2010 03:38 PM

Please don't kick me off a cliff!!!
Sincerely,
Buddy Boy:D
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery2/...s/516/6960.jpg

Aerogirl March 11th, 2010 07:38 PM

poor puppies:shock:

misguidedangel March 12th, 2010 02:22 PM

Please, be kind and punt a stuffed puppy off the cliff instead...

I hear on this forum all the time people with Firefox can't access their Edocs, so it is completely possible the page is designed and best viewed in Explorer. I know, Explorer sucks. I loved Netscape, but that is a thing of the past.

You always have the option of using a PVP. I would use PVP's instead, but my TA is so nice I went with her again....I know the price isn't likely to go down for the ES, so no worries.....Next time, call and talk to a person on the phone *BG*....Computers fail all too often......

Hope you have a excellent and realxing cruise!

Ron March 12th, 2010 04:00 PM

I think Carnival's website is screwed up somewhere along the line period.
I use Firefox and can usually get into the sight--I printed off all my docs for my cruise 3 weeks back with no problem--it just seems to me that sometimes it takes forever to get the info you want re/ some of the ships, some deck plans say " loading " but never load, etc. I think Jerry (what's his name ) should log onto the site himself and see how it really works.
Usually to access the deck plans and all the info about the Dream, I had to go to another website that shows the plans for all cruise line ships but if I want to look at RCCL I have no problem--again, I think there's more than one problem with Carnival's website. But, just my opinion. ;)

Magnolia Blossom March 13th, 2010 01:51 PM

I frequently have trouble w/ CCL's website. I refuse to book through a website because there's just too much room for hearburn. Even talking
to a rude, indifferent, ignorant PVP gives you the option to hang up without multiple credit card charges - more than once I've let them know I preferred to deal w/ someone who enjoyed their job and asked to be transferred to their supervisor for booking.

I've also given up on most PVP's being helpful. At CCL, anyway (don't flame me, it's just my experience) - I make sure I've done my homework and let them verify that what I want to do is doable and correct.

Just take a deep breath and say "senor, uno mas cerveza por favor". :cool:

Now, don't ya' feel better?

Tree Hugger March 16th, 2010 09:59 AM

The "missing" $1,000 re-appeared in my account sometime overnight and the Carnival website is no longer showing four bookings for the same cruise. Looks like all is right with the world now. Mrs. TH is looking through excursions to see what we might want to do at each port, now we just have to wait for September to get here.

Fern March 16th, 2010 06:51 PM

I'm happy that everything worked out and the puppies are saved!

P. S. I love your booby :D!

Donna March 16th, 2010 07:50 PM

I find it totally un-fair that the charge and for you, the 3 charges went through without any problem, but then to correct the error, it will take longer?? Now, why is that? Seems if they can take the $, they can return it the same time frame?

katlady March 16th, 2010 10:48 PM

I'm happy everything worked out for you.
Sincerely,
Buddy Boy (the cute puppy)

You could still throw him over a cliff. I know one close by.
I need a nap,
Elwood (the poor mistreated cat; someone get this dog off me.)
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery2/...s/689/6546.jpg

Tree Hugger March 17th, 2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1280566)
I find it totally un-fair that the charge and for you, the 3 charges went through without any problem, but then to correct the error, it will take longer?? Now, why is that? Seems if they can take the $, they can return it the same time frame?

It's more of a thing with Visa than it is with Carnival, it just takes some time to get things in and out of the system.

Fern March 17th, 2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katlady (Post 1280597)
I'm happy everything worked out for you.
Sincerely,
Buddy Boy (the cute puppy)

You could still throw him over a cliff. I know one close by.
I need a nap,
Elwood (the poor mistreated cat; someone get this dog off me.)
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery2/...s/689/6546.jpg

Looks like Elwood could take Buddy Boy any day!

TH, I agree that its a VISA problem, but if they can accept charges in seconds they should be able to credit it back just as fast. IMHO, they hold on to your $$ as long as they can :shock:! Think of how much interest they can make on your $1000.00 then multiply by however many other people have erroneous charges. It's all on paper, but that's a LOT of money!

JMO,

Tree Hugger March 18th, 2010 09:48 AM

I think all of the puppies will be OK, I thought this would also be a perfect time for be to add a shameless plug for the Bony Dog:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2z739xk.jpg

Fern March 18th, 2010 06:03 PM

Cute! And so are his kids :)!

katlady March 19th, 2010 02:33 AM

Ah he is so cute is he a Jack Russell? How old is he. You have cute kids too.:D Buddy Boy loves to play with Jack Russells; they can match his energy level. Also Jack Russells have that terrier thing. They are sure of themselves and not easily scared. Buddy Boy respects that in other dogs.

Fern the Elwood the cat has a slight weight advantage on Buddy Boy the dog. However, Buddy Boy is fearless and kind of crazy. He would never hurt the cat, he was only 4/5 months when we got him so he was raised with the cats. Elwood is older and Buddy Boy keeps wanting to play with him. Elwood is about 14 years old is not interested in playing. Enter my other cat Charlie who is about 4 years old. Charlie loves to play with the dog.:D In the case of Charlie and Buddy Boy. I would give it to Charlie, he has his claws (I don't de claw my cats) and he is lighter on his feet. When he is done playing with the dog he goes up high and stares down at the dog. Buddy Boy hates that.rofl

Tree Hugger March 19th, 2010 11:49 AM

The Bony Dog is part Jack Russell, part Basenji, and part trampoline. It's insane how high he can jump. We got him from the shelter in 2006, he was about a year old then.

katlady March 19th, 2010 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tree Hugger (Post 1281022)
The Bony Dog is part Jack Russell, part Basenji, and part trampoline. It's insane how high he can jump. We got him from the shelter in 2006, he was about a year old then.

Okay I can see the Basenji in his face. Those winkles on his forehead are from his Basenji half. Does he bark or yodel? I found this video these dogs look a lot like yours, only bigger with curly tails. For the other posters Basenjis don't bark they yodel instead.rofl

Fern March 19th, 2010 07:34 PM

Oh, my :shock: ! I knew that Basenjis didn't bark, but I'd go nuts with that yodeling (and so would my neighbors)!

Tree Hugger March 23rd, 2010 10:17 AM

since Bony isn't 100% Basenji, he does have a bark, more like the bay of a coon hound but he only uses that when absolutely necessary, typically it's a low volume yodeling or singing, much better than having a yappy dog.

ski49 March 23rd, 2010 10:11 PM

I haven't had that problem with their web site but on my last cruise Carnival tied up my credit card by putting holds for at least $50 every time I made a purchase onboard. In the end the maxed out my card and it took nearly 6 months to get them to release all the holds costing me lots of extra interest which they refused to reimburse me. Fortunately this has been my only negative experience in my 3 cruises with Carnival. If you actually get credit returned in a couple of days count yourself very lucky.