Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Beginner

Question Grand Turk Excursion Suggestions

My boyfriend and I are booked on the Miracle for April 2010 to San Juan, St Thomas, and Grand Turk. This will be my second cruise, but his first. We have decided on what we're doing in San Juan and St Thomas, but haven't been able to figure out what excursion to do in Grand Turk. Everyone has suggested we just relax by the beach near the port, but since we will have 4 days at sea my boyfriend would like to do something a little more 'exciting'. This is what we decided to do in the other two places:

San Juan - I have family there and they are giving us a 'guided' tour of the fort and the city.

St Thomas - We both enjoy history so we decided on the Ultimate Island Experience to get a little bit of everything

For Grand Turk we were thinking of doing the Bike & Snorkel, Captain Explorer Out-Island & Snorkeling Expedition, Gibbs Cay Beach & Stingray Encounter, or the Historical Homes, Town & Museum Tour. We're leaning more towards the snorkeling ones since we're doing tours the other two days. Does anyone have any experience with any of these excursions or any suggestions on what we should do? Thanks!

-Tati
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Grand Turk

Not much to the town. Do the snorkle if that is of interest but the free beach would be my choice.
54 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle, Breeze, Sunshine X2
6 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Admiral

A little ways out from the port is Bohio Dive Resort. They have good food and drinks and off their beach a few hundred feet is a great snorkelling reef with a huge drop off. They also offer scuba. It's a nice place to spend the day. I would recommend contacting them in advance since it has been a couple of years since I have been there to check and see what they offer. Cab's are plentiful and not too expensive.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 13th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

beenie weenie > apparently we think alike. I contacted Bohioresort.com a month ago and they responded with an invitation to visit them when I am in port May 6. Not wanting to be in such a large crowd at Margaritaville (two ships with at least 4,000 people) my wife and I searched for an alternative.

Tati > check out their web site, especially the menu...it sounds so yummy. Hopefully it will be less crowded and less expensive. I love Jimmy Buffet but he already has made lots of $$$ from me. Been there and already have numerous t-shirts.
Celebrity Century, 1996, Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Destiny, 2001, Dutch Treat
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 2003, Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend, 2004, Exotic S. Caribbean
Carnival Liberty, 2010, Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

We're also going to Grand Turk, November 12th 2010 abord the Carnival Glory. We would also like to know of any shopping & restaurants to go to. Carnival's shore excursion list doesn't show anything but beach, boating, diving and snorkeling.
Thanks...Dave & Diane

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old March 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Celebrity Century, 1996, Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Destiny, 2001, Dutch Treat
RCCL Monarch of the Seas, 2003, Western Caribbean
Carnival Legend, 2004, Exotic S. Caribbean
Carnival Liberty, 2010, Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If you are not a beach person, or have been beached out,try going to the Capital....Turks and Caicos - Grand Turk

Next time, we will make a visit there....Cockburn Town sounds interesting to me.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 14th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Familiar Face

Default Love Pillory Beach

In 2008, my son, mother, brother, and I docked at Grand Turk. While my mother and brother stayed by the port, my son and I decided to be a little more brave. We hit the taxi stand and asked the driver, Moses to take us to a nice beach. We ended up at the Bohio Resort (Pillory Beach). It was breathtaking. The snorkeling was great. We ate at the restuarant and I had the best fresh fish sandwich I have ever had with a local beer. Moses came back to get us and stopped at some of the souvinier shanties on the way back for us. There was hardly anyone there and all I could think about was all the people back at the port at that beach packed in like sardines. When we got back, we still had some time to shop and get a drink at Margaritaville. I would highly recommend this place!!! P.S. We are headed back to Grand Turk in August and this is definitely on our agenda.
Old March 14th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

I did the Gibbs Cay beach and stingray tour. Gibbs Cay is visible from the ship and is a small island. The trip out on the boat is not long and you get to pay with the stingrays for a few and then off you go snorkling, swimming, tanning, or walking around the island for good hour or so....

I had a great time and I didn't have to go looking for the Osprey, there was one waiting for us, but as we arrived and started moving about it flew off....

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old March 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile Captain Explorer Rocks!

I just returned from a Carnival Cruise that included Grand Turk, and the Captain Explorer Snorkel trip was wonderful. Our captain was called "Lucky" and he led us on a FAST wild, wet boat ride -- to a glorious uninhabited island where we snorkeled, swam to the beach, and then hiked a little. There was no one on board over 65 or under 7, but that seems to be a good age range:
7 -65. But it is really fun, active, and friendly. I highly recommend that you talk to your ship mates on the boat while you drink rum punch. Then you won't be embarassed when you start yelling "woo hoo" as the boat flies over the waves. Highly recommend: FIVE STARS
Old March 14th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Familiar Face

We just got back last week off carnival Glory. We dont usually boos ships excursion but price difference was only 6 bucks so we booked Ultimate Snorkling, it was incredible!

It was pouring rain and we were worried but the 4-5 boats headed out. We snorkle at one reef which was great, not a ot of fish but ones we saw were beautiful. second reef was round cay and it was even better. saw big gorgeous parrot fish, coral etc. husband saw school of squid and turtles. Yes, there were lots of people on boat, but ti was a highlight for us. I understand you can walk doen beach towards Jacks Shack and theres Grand Turk Diving place but he wasnt sure if even people would boom so we went w carnival for 60 bucks, well worth it. Had time to meet crazy friends at Jacks Shack for drinks and the sun even came out making it a perfect day!!!!