Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Beginner

Default Ocho Rios & Grand Cayman Excursion Suggestions

Need help in deciding what we should do in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman in May. Should we book our excursions through Carnival or venture out on our own? We love the beach, shopping and tours...
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In Ocho Rios, if you've never been before, I would recommend Dunn's River Falls. It is fun and something that is one of those "you got to do it". Then again there is rafting, Appleton Rum Tour, zip line and a general tour. All are interesting and fun. In Jamaica I would either book through the cruise line or pre-book with a reputable tour company.

On Grand Cayman you have to do "Stingray City". Other than that there isn't too much else except seeing "Hell" (overrated). It is basically a post office and some rock formations. You can also see the turtle farm. It is interesting if you are into that sort of thing. If you do Stingray City I would suggest that you do a tour that also gives you other snorkeling opportunities. I would do Grand Cayman on my own. There are tour providers, such as Captain Marvin or Captain Crosby who will give you as good, or better, tour than the cruise lines.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

We also reccomend "Dunns River Falls", (they have the best "Jerk Chicken"). It will be a great photo opp. If you deside to walk the falls, you have to rent some special shoes, (they are just like crocks, but cost 15$ to rent), before they will let you in the water. Also on "Grand Cayman" make sure that you visit "HELL", (It's a small town on the otherside of the island). Send your friends, boss or neighbor's a post card from there, telling them to go to HELL.

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ocho Rios, is one port to use the ships excursion or a good tour operator. We have used portpromotions.com, and here is what they offer...Compare with your ships tours, for pricing and groups sizing...

Ocho Rios, Jamaica

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 17th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kntwait2cruz View Post
Need help in deciding what we should do in Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman in May. Should we book our excursions through Carnival or venture out on our own? We love the beach, shopping and tours...
If your a couple with no children get a taxi to Couples Resort San Souci. It is a all inclusive couples resort and a day pass is $50.00 each while taxi is $40.00 round trip for you both.

They have 2 nice beaches, all the food and drink you want included and no children running around, we loved it!

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

i loved swimming with stingrays in Grand Cayman~have done it twice and it was a little scary, but so cool...

ziplining in Jamaica has been the most adventurous thing i've done on an excursion and would recommend it to anyone if you can climb and aren't afraid of heights~it was a blast. Dunn's River is beautiful and if you don't want to rent the shoes to climb the falls you can walk the stairs beside it~although climbing is half the fun

be forewarned~the people in jamaica around the falls and out in the market areas will drive you nuts with their begging you to buy and hounding. i loved jamaica but have debated going back just for this reason...
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05