Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Passenger

Default St. Thomas, St. Martean, Nassau Shore excursions suggestions

Hi I am planning a cruise April 10th on the Dream Ship. I would like to have some suggestions as what to do at the ports I like to site see and shop and have fun. Should I book with our cruise line or independtly.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In St T, you can ferry over to St John and snorkle in paradise..Take the tram to the top of the mountain..sit on Megnas Bat Beach

In St M, you can so the America''s Cup do the butterfly farm go to Orient beach...

Nassau, you can go over to the Atlantis, and see "The Dig" shop in John Bull, the prettiest store in the Caribbean...see the stra market

In all ports, a city tour is great to get a nice overview of the port...You can also Snuba and do a semi sub, or a full sub excursion...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
First Mate

Hi
I am going on the dream may 22 on the same trip your going on in april.
please be sure to post when you get back how you liked the ship and
the islands.
I have been to those islands several times and really like them but more
interested in how the ship is. I am sure its great just like to hear from some
one that was on it.

thanks Sammy

have fun
Old March 18th, 2010, 11:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

You will love the Dream...went in Dec and have already rebooked for May! I loved the anytime dining they offered and all the comedy shows were great also. Lots of great entertainment too.
Carnival Celebration 03/06
Carnival Fantasy 12/06
Carnival Fantasy 04/07
Carnival Glory 10/07
Carnival Fantasy Jan 2008
Carnival Fascination Oct 2008
Carnival Holiday April 2009
Carnival Dream Dec 2009
Carnival Triumph Jan 2010
Carnival Dream May 2010
Carnival Elation Jan 2011
Carnival Triumph May 2011
Carnival Fascination Feb 2012
Carnival Conquest 12/09/12
Carnival Fascination 01/06/13
Old March 19th, 2010, 01:54 AM
Passenger

In St. Thomas we went on the Castaway Girl Catamaran for a snorkel excursion. We booked it through RCCL but I have seen it offered at Carnival. It was amazing! They take you out to a ship wreck to snorkel and feed fish. On the way back they serve the best all you can drink rum punch! The boat is beautiful and it is a very relaxing ride. We also went parasailing, but I can't remember the name of the operator. It was also booked through Royal Carib. It was really beautiful to see through the water from so high up!
Old March 19th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Admiral

At St Thomas we have done Castaway Girl thru Carnival several times and highly recommend it.
58 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X3, Triumph X2, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
8 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta X2
HAL Statendam
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Beginner

Anyone know what's open in Nassau on Sunday?
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For the most part, the majority of the shops are open...shopping in paradise is good for the cruisers and the shopkeepers!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

The first time we visited St. Thomas, we went on the "Island & Shopping" tour. We booked it through the ship. It was very nice, they took us all over the Island. The last time that we were there, we went on a tour of "Blackbeard's Castle, also booked through the ship. It was ok, I was able to take some outstanding photos from the view atop of the hill overlooking the bay. A good place to go to is on top of "Paradise Point". There is a cable car that takes you up to the top. There are resturants & shops up there. If you like to take pictures, it's a great place. You don't have to book the tour from the ship to go up there. You can take a cab. If you go downtown, be careful. There is over 600 Jewlery stores there. Also there is a good little place to have lunch down town. It's called "Coconuts"! You can also take a look at some of the photos that I took at these ports. You can find them in my "albums", on Cruise Mates. You'll have a blast...Dave & Diane.

Last cruise we visited Nassau. We booked the "Atlantis Hotel & Harbor Cruise" tour.
It was very good. They took us for a short cruise on the "Glassbottom Boat". We cruised the harbor and then they took us over to "Paradise Island", to tour the Atlantis Hotel & the Aquarium. That was very good but we were a little rushed by the tour guides. I also took a lot of photos of the hotel and aquarium. We booked the tour from the ship. You can go over to "Paradise Island" by yourself, but you might want to take a cab. It's a very long walk.

We are cruising to both places again in November aboard the Carnival Glory.

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old March 23rd, 2010, 04:38 PM
First Mate

Not sure about shopping on any of the islands but St. Thomas. its
the best there.
If you need nice gifts for any reason there is a linen shop there
called Mr. Tablecloth. They have really nice stuff and great prices
and things you wont find here in the states at their prices or not
at all.
We did the shopping and island tour. Got to swim at megans bay
and back to the ship.
on the other two islands we just ran and saw things for our self.
But as most will tell you st. thomas is the place to buy most any
thing at the best prices....

sammy
Dream May 22 60 days who's counting
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:49 PM
Passenger

When I get back, I will let you know what we did and how we liked it. Thank you for corresponding.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:51 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
In St T, you can ferry over to St John and snorkle in paradise..Take the tram to the top of the mountain..sit on Megnas Bat Beach

In St M, you can so the America''s Cup do the butterfly farm go to Orient beach...

Nassau, you can go over to the Atlantis, and see "The Dig" shop in John Bull, the prettiest store in the Caribbean...see the stra market

In all ports, a city tour is great to get a nice overview of the port...You can also Snuba and do a semi sub, or a full sub excursion...
Thanks for the info. Sounds great. Can't wair.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post

Sound great. Can't wait. Thank you for the suggestions
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy1954 View Post
Hi
I am going on the dream may 22 on the same trip your going on in april.
please be sure to post when you get back how you liked the ship and
the islands.
I have been to those islands several times and really like them but more
interested in how the ship is. I am sure its great just like to hear from some
one that was on it.

thanks Sammy

have fun
I would be glad to tell you about the ship and the islands when I get back. Look forward to corresponding. Thanks
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:56 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail4cruising View Post
You will love the Dream...went in Dec and have already rebooked for May! I loved the anytime dining they offered and all the comedy shows were great also. Lots of great entertainment too.
Thank you for the info. I can't wait to board the Dream and savor every minute.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder209 View Post
In St. Thomas we went on the Castaway Girl Catamaran for a snorkel excursion. We booked it through RCCL but I have seen it offered at Carnival. It was amazing! They take you out to a ship wreck to snorkel and feed fish. On the way back they serve the best all you can drink rum punch! The boat is beautiful and it is a very relaxing ride. We also went parasailing, but I can't remember the name of the operator. It was also booked through Royal Carib. It was really beautiful to see through the water from so high up!
All this sounds great. I wish we were going to be at each island longer. Thanks for posting.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScurvyDog View Post
At St Thomas we have done Castaway Girl thru Carnival several times and highly recommend it.
I will check this out. Thank you
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkie103 View Post
Anyone know what's open in Nassau on Sunday?
I think everything is. We have contacted People to People to get a private guide. Check it out. People To People
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhudd View Post
The first time we visited St. Thomas, we went on the "Island & Shopping" tour. We booked it through the ship. It was very nice, they took us all over the Island. The last time that we were there, we went on a tour of "Blackbeard's Castle, also booked through the ship. It was ok, I was able to take some outstanding photos from the view atop of the hill overlooking the bay. A good place to go to is on top of "Paradise Point". There is a cable car that takes you up to the top. There are resturants & shops up there. If you like to take pictures, it's a great place. You don't have to book the tour from the ship to go up there. You can take a cab. If you go downtown, be careful. There is over 600 Jewlery stores there. Also there is a good little place to have lunch down town. It's called "Coconuts"! You can also take a look at some of the photos that I took at these ports. You can find them in my "albums", on Cruise Mates. You'll have a blast...Dave & Diane.

Last cruise we visited Nassau. We booked the "Atlantis Hotel & Harbor Cruise" tour.
It was very good. They took us for a short cruise on the "Glassbottom Boat". We cruised the harbor and then they took us over to "Paradise Island", to tour the Atlantis Hotel & the Aquarium. That was very good but we were a little rushed by the tour guides. I also took a lot of photos of the hotel and aquarium. We booked the tour from the ship. You can go over to "Paradise Island" by yourself, but you might want to take a cab. It's a very long walk.

We are cruising to both places again in November aboard the Carnival Glory.
Everything sounds so great. It is hard to make a decision. Wish we had more time on each island. thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:04 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy1954 View Post
Not sure about shopping on any of the islands but St. Thomas. its
the best there.
If you need nice gifts for any reason there is a linen shop there
called Mr. Tablecloth. They have really nice stuff and great prices
and things you wont find here in the states at their prices or not
at all.
We did the shopping and island tour. Got to swim at megans bay
and back to the ship.
on the other two islands we just ran and saw things for our self.
But as most will tell you st. thomas is the place to buy most any
thing at the best prices....

sammy
Dream May 22 60 days who's counting
I definitely want to shop at ST. Thomas. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will note them.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Beginner

My 1st trip to St. Thomas I booked an excursion thru Carnival to Trunk Bay on St. John. It was one the best tours I've taken on any vacation - cruise or otherwise. Another option would be the Helmet Dive at Coral World.

For St. Maarten a trip to one of the great beaches is great but be aware that there is a lot of European clothing optional sun bathing.
Old March 24th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcrusin View Post
Everything sounds so great. It is hard to make a decision. Wish we had more time on each island. thanks for all the wonderful suggestions.
We hope that you will enjoy your trip to "Charlott Amalie, Saint Thomas". We also look forward visiting there. Oh yea...there's a good place down town to purchase all sorts of shirts and other items, It looks like a "Flea Market". You can still bargain there. Just take a cab from the ship. Dave & Diane.

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:14 PM
First Mate

thank you please do let me know what all you did and how you liked the ship.
sammy
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Beginner

rent a car and go to the nude beach....