CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   I really need just ONE more, honest!! (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/372630-i-really-need-just-one-more-honest.html)

Trip March 18th, 2010 07:35 PM

I really need just ONE more, honest!!

So, you are in port, you are shopping till you drop..[ok..maybe just some of you.] You know you want to just bring back ONE more thing to add to your collection back home....what is it?

So many of us bring back, magnets, shot glasses Christmas ornaments, tees shirts, what floats your boat? I have brought back, some great tropical Christmas cards..love em!

Once in Jamaica, as we touring, we saw, these huge hand carved figures, with shall we say, large proportions, and we wondered just how one would get one home if you had to fly home after the cruise. I can see the statue sitting shotgun, in a convertible on the way home from the port, for local cruisers!:)

Fern March 18th, 2010 08:14 PM

We've got sooo much stuff! I now limit myself to magnets. Unless there's a wonderful owl for sale ;)! Okay, magnets and owls, that's it...:D.

vanesa7 March 18th, 2010 09:50 PM

I love shopping.

Gail4cruising March 18th, 2010 10:16 PM

I usually limit myself to a magnet from each port and one t-shirt from each port of call. I don't mean i buy a shirt each time...just keep one from each at all times. I always buy the carnival magnet that is the solid silver/platinum color. I have one from each ship I have traveled on.

Cruisebunny7 March 19th, 2010 09:03 AM

Christmas ornaments, what a great idea! I will have to start this collection! We usually get the kids something, we are all about bring back small items we can easily fit into our suitcases. Magnets and T-Shirts have been the most popular items.

Tree Hugger March 19th, 2010 12:11 PM

I buy monkeys or frogs, not real ones, but figurines/statues to but on the shelves in the study.

I even paid the outrageous sum of $15 for a drink on the Ecstasy because it can in a coconut carved into a monkey.

Kimbopolo March 19th, 2010 01:40 PM

We add to our liquor bottle collection. rofl

dhudd March 19th, 2010 02:40 PM

Yes...we are also suckers for the shopping trend. We love shopping on the ship and shore. On our first cruise we purchased over 36 "T" shirts, and only 2 were for gifts. Christmas ornaments, we have quite a collection. We have a number of the Carnival ships ornaments...and still collecting.
I try to collect a "Golf" type shirt form each Carnival ship that we've sailed on. Except for our last cruise abourd the M.S. Carnival Liberty. Their ships store was all picked over and wasn't stocked. So all I was able to buy was a few "T" shirts and A ships hat. It was like there was a sale the last 2 cruises and they forgot to resupply the stores. I would love to have a "Golf" type shirt from the Liberty, but...I have at least one "Golf" type shirt form each ship that we've been on. I even have 2 shirts from some of the ships Inaugural voyages, Victory & Star Princess.
We also love to purchase shot glasses from the different Islands and or countries. We use to collect coffee cups but they are taking up too much space. We'll have to see whats in the ship's store in our up comming cruise abord the M.S. Carnival Glory.

skymaster March 19th, 2010 06:40 PM

I would love to collect a female Carnival Dancer from each ship, but the lovely Mrs. Jones (Vita) found out about my wishes, and put the skids to that idea. ;) Seriously, we don't collect anything in particular. Used to collect Harley Davidson T-Shirts, but enough is enough. :mrgreen:

"SKY"

azpilot March 19th, 2010 07:05 PM

Lucky us, we normally just walk around, grab a magnet for the fridge and find a place that has good food. We normally don't bring anything home from vacation. Or at least we haven't yet.

spyder209 March 19th, 2010 08:28 PM

We like to get a Christmas ornament from the ship and any neat ones that we see in port. Eventually, I would like to have enough to do a Christmas tree entirely in vacation ornaments to look at when it is cold here!

Cruznut2 March 20th, 2010 03:40 AM

I collect good times and great memories.

Laura

venice March 20th, 2010 04:20 AM

I collect music festival posters.. all of the islands have one each year so it's easy..the problem is that I have no wall space at home so I have 31 posters waiting to be framed, but no where to hangroflrofl

my newest quest is to collect piggy banks for my new (and hopefully) last lady friend:D:D

Sky...my brother and his wife are going on the High Seas Ralley (formerly HOGS) in late October..what size teeshirt do you want?

Donna March 20th, 2010 05:33 AM

T-shirts are always on my list, among anything else that may catch my eye...

SMOM March 21st, 2010 09:04 AM

We always get a tee shirt from each port. I also like to get a few post cards and for some reason I think I need a key chain from every place we go. lol

david30101 March 21st, 2010 03:48 PM

I collect glass mugs from each ship. That is all cruiselines, not just carnival. I get 2 of each style. probably have about 25 of them so far.

Manuel March 21st, 2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruznut2 (Post 1281143)
I collect good times and great memories.

Laura

That is exctly what I do. :D

Dotte March 21st, 2010 07:49 PM

I like to collect dolphin figurines or string rays if I can find them.

Trip your mentioning the carved figures brought back memories of our first cruise. We went to Nassau and my DH find a carved eagle that he wanted real bad. It's like 3 feet tall. Mind you this was back in 1986. The only place we could find to put it was in the garment bag. We were flying thru Atlanta and they were sending it through the xray machine and the lady wanted to know if he had a gun in there. Course they had security come over and we had to take it out so they could see what it was. Probably wouldn't be able to bring it back nowadays.

Trip March 21st, 2010 08:04 PM

Dottie, I have a similar story..When we went to Caracas, and the Murano glass factory, we brought my son back, a glass sword..one time through security,showed us,we would have to open it up at every security point....I bet you are right, we would create some issues now...

Dotte March 21st, 2010 08:41 PM

It would probably shut down the airport.

Amarie2334 March 29th, 2010 10:33 PM

Scrap Book

I buy a scrap book/photo album on each cruise, either from the ship or in port then make a scrap book of just that trip, I have about 6 so far and they are so fun to look at and remember each cruise individually :-) I also collect the sea passes from each cruise

Donna March 30th, 2010 07:31 AM

I forgot about saving the sign/sail card. My last cruise though, the cruiseline took the pass, so couldn't save it. Must be something fairly new?

anniegb March 30th, 2010 08:20 AM

If it requires dusting - I don't buy it!

If it is not practical - I don't buy it!

If it weighs more than 100g - I don't buy it!

The only exception is local guide books or hard to source local spices.

Otherwise great memories, great stories and new friends.

deadmoney March 30th, 2010 08:25 AM

The one last thing I collect before getting back on board is my wife cause she's always looking for one more thing to buy.LOL

saleaaway March 30th, 2010 03:28 PM

Ditto on the Christmas ornaments... and though I always say I'm not I seem to come home with a new peice of jewelry.

Trip March 30th, 2010 03:57 PM

Dead Money, your tag line..my zen garden has weeds, just cracked me up!rofl