Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Beginner

Unhappy A bit disappointed with Carnival.

We just got off Freedom yesterday and a bit disappointed with them. The pool bar guys don't pay much attention unless you are ordering alcohol. Didn't think the food was as good as Royal's. I really don't understand why they would rather a young guy (24) wear a pair of 30.00 jeans in the dining room instead of a pair of dress shorts ( 80.00). I understand that they want to keep everyone looking nice on a formal night, my son forgot to bring long pants and the maitr'd said he had to wear long pants, so the only option was jeans. The polo shorts looked so much nicer. Go figure. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed the trip. We have always cruised with Royal and probably will go back to them.
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2010, 08:18 PM
First Mate

Default Disappointed

HAVE FUN BACK AT RC
BoB
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sorry you were disappointed..sometimes one's expectations are just not realized. Were you trying to order soda at the bar,and they were not paying attention, was that it?

Carnivals rep as far as food, has exceeded RC's for years now. I hope you did enjoy some of the food, and theme nights. As far as the shorts/vs long pants..honestly I am surprised they said anything about it...

Bottom line, you need to be happy, when your vacation and hard earned money is involved...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 29th, 2010, 02:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Carnival does allow dress shorts every night, with the exception of elegant night.

Sure the Maitre d would have preferred something other than jeans, but requesting that would have meant having to turn your son away.

On RCI on formal nights you'd have certainly faced at least the same situation. Shorts would not have been allowed in the dining room unless your son was 5 If he's cruised before, I am surprised he wouldn't have thought he'd need at least a pair of slacks.

I am also surprised you thought the food was better than RCI, as I haven't had a great meal on an RCI ship for some time... in the main dining room.

But, that's why there are different cruise lines. No one line can "be the one" for everyone.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 29th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sometimes the planets just don't align on a cruise. I totally understand what they are saying. It isn't any one big thing, it is just a series of little things that may disappoint or aggravate just a little bit, when otherwise you would be having a good time.

I have to say I tend to agree with you about the shorts over blue jeans, but I think the problem is more one of having a rule and being consistent. If they let your son do it then every older guy in cutoffs who wanted to wear them would have to be allowed to as well.

Old March 29th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Admiral

So sorry you had a disappointing cruise aboard "Freedom". The lovely Mrs. Jones, (Vita) and I just disembarked from "Miracle" yesterday as well, and it was one of our best cruises ever! The "Miracle" crew just keeps getting better, and better. No problems, no concerns at all, and absolutely fantastic food and service! The crew was all smiles, all the time, and very attentive! I think you just picked the wrong ship, or perhaps just a bad week for your cruise.

"SKY"
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Captain

So sorry to hear that you were disappointed. I love Carnival, but when I read your comment about the bar service I have to say that I could not agree more. As non-drinkers we have found the bar service to be lousy. While I can appreciate the revenue impact of selling a coke instead of a beer, I find it frustrating to be dismissed or ignored. On our last couple of cruises, I stopped dealing with the bar completely and brought my own soft sided cooler bag filled with sodas up on the deck with me and I am willing to go toe to toe with any staff that wants to challenge me on it : )

While I am sorry that your son was inconvenienced I personally think we've lowered the cruise line dress code too far as it is. Not only do I think shorts should be banned I think we should go back to jackets and ties for the gents and fancy dresses for the ladies on all evenings, but alas that is my opinion : ) and obviously it is different from the majority.

I hope that your next cruise is outstanding no matter which line you choose : )
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:33 PM
First Mate

Strange to hear someone say they thought the food was not good on
a carnival cruise. I am a pretty picky eater and I find it great.
As for wearing shorts to dinner you cant even do that at a island resort.
Men always have to have wear pants.
Glad they stick to that . Cant hurt anyone to dress for dinner.
Then you can always change back in to play clothes for the evening.
I have been on to many cruises with carnival to count and I would
have to say they are the best.

Sammy 1954

Dream May 22, 2010
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It is sad when everything isn't up to expectations and when a cruise line fails in certain areas it can leave an overall bad taste and sway someone from cruising with that line again. It really shows that a cruise line must be consistent across the board. This means each ship, each cruise and all areas.

On my last three Royal Caribbean cruise the food has been less than spectacular and on my last Radiance of the Seas cruise the food was downright bad. EVERYTHING else was wonderful.

The problem is that when I talk to my wife about a future cruise her first comment is: "It isn't Royal Caribbean is it?" The food issue left such a strong impression to her it overshadowed the beautiful ship, the fun activities and the great service. She has stated, and I completely understand, that "If this had been her first cruise she would probably never book another." All of this because of poor food quality.

I understand firsthand how someone can be disappointed and rightfully so.

It also shows that failing in one area can be failure in all areas.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 7th, 2010, 09:48 PM
First Mate

Sounds like someones upset because their kid didn't pack appropriately. Bar service is what is it is. I don't drink alcohol or soda so I wouldn't know.

I do like Royal better but it's not because I got bad service on Carnival.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Admiral

I understand the food issue, I sailed B2B on the Conquest. The ports the second week were different but the food was the same. Not! I learned what a difference a good waiter can may to your food experience, and why some one on the same cruise can have a different opinion. Our waiter the second week was very poor, and the food while the same was not as good. Food was cold, end cuts not center cuts of meat. over all poor service. I gave the waiter from the first week an additional tip, at the end of the second week. Mike
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Absolutely - I have seen this so many times "we're you on the same ship we were on, because our experience was completely different."

A number of very small things can make or break a cruise - cold food being among them. My wife is stickler for hot food and it is very rare on a cruise ship because of the manner in which food is prepared and served.

Unless the waiter just happens to pick it up hot and bring it straight over it probably won't be hot. At least the cruise lines use plate covers. But I often see waiters with a stack of hot plates standing at the computer to doublecheck orders before they deliver them.

I was on a cruise with a number if minor irritations, and ues, they do add up. The trick is to overcome the irritations and not spoil your vacation. You are still going to pay for it because "little things" are not going to get you any kind of compensation.

Old April 9th, 2010, 06:15 PM
david30101

Im sorry they treated your son the way they did. However..You do know the rules of dinner dress code..No shorts at dinner..Its always been that way. On your next cruise, be sure to pack a pair of slacks for your son..Or be like me..and go "Kilted". .