Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Passenger

Cool Mexican Riviera on Splendour...any ideas for a surprise???

Hi fellow cruisers,

My family has planned a surprise 60th birthday cruise for my dad. We are sailing in June to the Mexican Riviera on Splendour. Do any of you past guests have ideas of how and where to surprise him? I haven't been on this particular cruise before...what deck do they serve pre-cruise apps and drinks before we set sail? What is the itinerary? Everyone is going to board before my parents so we thought we'd surprise him somewhere on the ship but I have no idea where!!!

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Passenger

Once you board the Splendor, you can go to the Lido deck for the buffet, or the rotisserie. The rotisserie was very quiet, so I'd arrange to meet them up there. It will be much easier to find other people.

You've booked the cruise yet do not know the itinerary? Perhaps I am misreading that. Do you mean ports, or what you do once you board? The boarding process was a cluster. I would arrange for parents to get there early (or everyone else) and you later (or parents later). You are bound to see one another outside waiting to board unless you get there hours apart.
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Passenger

Thanks Brina! Sorry, I didn't mean the ports, I meant once we board. I didn't know what the process is after boarding. What do you meant by "cluster"? Is this blocks of time periods for boarding? How long does it take to board? How many hours apart do you recommend that we board from one another?

Is the rotisserie a restaurant or just set up on one of the decks?
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Passenger

Woops just realized I spelled Splendor wrong! Blame it on the travel agent!
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by runroccorun View Post
Thanks Brina! Sorry, I didn't mean the ports, I meant once we board. I didn't know what the process is after boarding. What do you meant by "cluster"? Is this blocks of time periods for boarding? How long does it take to board? How many hours apart do you recommend that we board from one another?

Is the rotisserie a restaurant or just set up on one of the decks?
I actually meant it in a much more "colorful" way People generally take off the last part of the word to intone the same meaning. From the urban dictionary:

Today, however, "cluster^%$*" is commonly used to descriptively generalize any situation with a large scale of disarray.

It was a mess getting on board; total disarray. I'd say two to three hours unless it is running efficiently that particular day. Maybe parents can get there at 11 and everyone else at 1-2?

The rotisserie is on deck 10 just above the lido deck. It is very good. They have rotisserie style chicken, baked potatoes, mac and cheese, cole slaw, pesto and mozzarella tomatoes... it is tasty and very quiet up there. No one knows it is open when they board. They all seem to congregate at the buffet instead
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Admiral

See I would suggest the opposite you guys get there early. He gets there at about 2 or 3 to avoid the crowds. You have his cabin decorated by the Bon Voyage department and surprise him at his cabin. The Bon Voyage department does birthday cakes (picture of the cake below, they can also do a white cake) and room decorations at a fee. Here is a link with the prices. Good Luck.
http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Default.aspx

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Passenger

@Katlady-that sounds like a cool idea! I like the "surprise at the room" concept...I think it would work well since our rooms are next door to one another. And the cake is a nice touch as well. We can do a combo of both ideas since my dad loves chicken...probably apps at the Rotisserie!

How long does it take to early board? How much time between parents and everyone else's boarding time?

Thanks for you replies!
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
See I would suggest the opposite you guys get there early. He gets there at about 2 or 3 to avoid the crowds. You have his cabin decorated by the Bon Voyage department and surprise him at his cabin. The Bon Voyage department does birthday cakes (picture of the cake below, they can also do a white cake) and room decorations at a fee. Here is a link with the prices. Good Luck.
http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/Default.aspx

I like Miss Kitty's way better I'd give it a good couple of hours (3 even) between the time y'all board.
Old March 30th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Admiral

You can check-in early at the terminal (9:30ish) and then go have lunch on the Queen Mary on in downtown Long Beach. They will assign you a boarding group and give you a time to return. When you come back you will wait with your group to board.

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014