CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Where is the best places to shop in Ocho Rios Jamacia and Grand Cayman (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/372924-where-best-places-shop-ocho-rios-jamacia-grand-cayman.html)

kntwait2cruz March 31st, 2010 02:21 PM

Where is the best places to shop in Ocho Rios Jamacia and Grand Cayman

I will be going to Ocho Rios Jamacia and Grand Cayman in May and would like to shop for jewelry and souvenirs.

Mike M March 31st, 2010 03:02 PM

In Ocho Rios the "Taj Mahal" market isn't too bad of a place to try. It's close to the cruise ship pier and has a variety of stores including jewelry. Nine years ago I bought a Breitling watch there and it was the best price I have found anywhere. It's also a great watch (it better be since it's a Breitling). I wear it everyday.

Grand Cayman isn't the "Bargain Capital" of the Caribbean. The jewelry stores will charge you about the same and sometimes more than you can purchase things in the states. However, their quality is first rate. Each time I'm in Grand Cayman I, at least, wander over to Kirk's Jewelers and check out the watches. The pier area has some shops where you can buy t-shirts, rum cakes and other touristy stuff.

Take care,
Mike

dhudd March 31st, 2010 03:37 PM

I agree with Mike M. The "Taj Mahal" Market is a safe "Gated" Shopping area. They have alot of different types of stores. We shopped there and obtained some good bargans. Ocho Rios is not a very safe area to be walking around down the streets. We went to the "Dunns River Falls" tour and afterwards they took us shopping to the "Taj Mahal Market: shopping area.
On Grand Caymen Island, we went on a shopping tour, went around the entire island. We went to a little town on the other side of the island kown as "HELL". They have their own Post Office there so you can send your friends and or you boss a post card that reads "Go to Hell". We also toured a "Turtle Farm" and afterwards they took us shopping down town "George Town".
Both Ocho Rios and Grand Caymen Island, you can bargon. We had a good time in both places. Make sure that you try the "Jerk Chicken" and have a "Red Stripe Beer" in Ocho Rios. Dave & Diane...

Trip March 31st, 2010 07:14 PM

The best shopping is indeed right by the pier in Ocho..we have done tours and some of the places I wouldn't get off the bus....being gated, is better, and some deals can be had..My girlfriend also got a great priced Movado there.

In Grand Cayman, the shopping is nice, but pricey...there are places where you can get souvenirs..I got a glass snail..who sits on my desk,right here:)

kntwait2cruz April 21st, 2010 03:29 PM

Enough time to shop & go to the beach in Grand Cayman?

First--thanks to all that have replied to my many questions.

In the Grand Cayman, if we do a beach excursion at 11:00-2:30 will we have enough time to shop either before the excursion or after? Is the shops close to the pier? OR is the Best of the Cayman Island Tour at 8:30-11:30 a good choice and then tak a cab to the beach?

granny of the seas April 21st, 2010 07:41 PM

I recommend Royal Shop in the Taj Mahal shopping center. Bought a ring there over 15 years ago and wear it every day. Got a great price and kept their business card in case I ever returned there. Best cruise purchase I ever made. The owner's name is Ravi Daswani. Don't know if he still owns the shop.

Leyla from Long island