Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 31st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Beginner

Default Where is the best places to shop in Ocho Rios Jamacia and Grand Cayman

I will be going to Ocho Rios Jamacia and Grand Cayman in May and would like to shop for jewelry and souvenirs.
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In Ocho Rios the "Taj Mahal" market isn't too bad of a place to try. It's close to the cruise ship pier and has a variety of stores including jewelry. Nine years ago I bought a Breitling watch there and it was the best price I have found anywhere. It's also a great watch (it better be since it's a Breitling). I wear it everyday.

Grand Cayman isn't the "Bargain Capital" of the Caribbean. The jewelry stores will charge you about the same and sometimes more than you can purchase things in the states. However, their quality is first rate. Each time I'm in Grand Cayman I, at least, wander over to Kirk's Jewelers and check out the watches. The pier area has some shops where you can buy t-shirts, rum cakes and other touristy stuff.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 31st, 2010, 03:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to dhudd

I agree with Mike M. The "Taj Mahal" Market is a safe "Gated" Shopping area. They have alot of different types of stores. We shopped there and obtained some good bargans. Ocho Rios is not a very safe area to be walking around down the streets. We went to the "Dunns River Falls" tour and afterwards they took us shopping to the "Taj Mahal Market: shopping area.
On Grand Caymen Island, we went on a shopping tour, went around the entire island. We went to a little town on the other side of the island kown as "HELL". They have their own Post Office there so you can send your friends and or you boss a post card that reads "Go to Hell". We also toured a "Turtle Farm" and afterwards they took us shopping down town "George Town".
Both Ocho Rios and Grand Caymen Island, you can bargon. We had a good time in both places. Make sure that you try the "Jerk Chicken" and have a "Red Stripe Beer" in Ocho Rios. Dave & Diane...

MS Carnival Spirit 10/2006
MS Carnival Victory 12/2005
MS Star Princess 12/2002
MS Carnival Victory 12/2000
USS Bristol County, LST 1198, 1980-1982
USS Turner Joy, DD951, 1973-1978
Old March 31st, 2010, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The best shopping is indeed right by the pier in Ocho..we have done tours and some of the places I wouldn't get off the bus....being gated, is better, and some deals can be had..My girlfriend also got a great priced Movado there.

In Grand Cayman, the shopping is nice, but pricey...there are places where you can get souvenirs..I got a glass snail..who sits on my desk,right here

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 21st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Beginner

Default Enough time to shop & go to the beach in Grand Cayman?

First--thanks to all that have replied to my many questions.

In the Grand Cayman, if we do a beach excursion at 11:00-2:30 will we have enough time to shop either before the excursion or after? Is the shops close to the pier? OR is the Best of the Cayman Island Tour at 8:30-11:30 a good choice and then tak a cab to the beach?
Old April 21st, 2010, 07:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I recommend Royal Shop in the Taj Mahal shopping center. Bought a ring there over 15 years ago and wear it every day. Got a great price and kept their business card in case I ever returned there. Best cruise purchase I ever made. The owner's name is Ravi Daswani. Don't know if he still owns the shop.

Leyla from Long island