Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Ports, no longer visited

I wish the cruise lines would bring back some ports they dropped...hopefully the issues that determined the port cancellations, have changed.

I loved Caracas,and Martinique, and really enjoyed my day in these ports, but I know they were not wildly popular, and Caracas had some security issues. I would enjoy cruising there again. Does Guadaloupe get many stops anymore? I enjoyed this port too, but would prefer it not to be on Easter Monday, as it was when we were there. Hardly anything was open, as it's a beach holiday there.

St Croix, used to be quite popular years ago..a hurricane damaged the port, and I think Carnival does port here, sporadicallyat a new/rebuilt pier?

For long time cruisers, do you remember any ports,that now get passed by? I think a German ship, it must be a small one,stopped at Anguilla..that would be a nice day...

Have any of you cruised to Cuba inthe 50's? I know there used to be cruises from NYC to Cuba, in the olden days

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Trip, I haven't been to any of those ports, but I hope that someday soon we'll be able to cruise to Cuba ! Yes, Luci and Desi cruised to Cuba in the 1950's !

I'm not at all sure, but I think St. Croix was dropped after some "bad stuff" happened there? I'm sorry I can't remember what it was, but a friend of our's had gone there to play his music and I remember him coming back, less than happy !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

As a western Caribbean guy I know about these...

Very rarely does a cruise ship call on Cancun, they all go to Cozumel now. It's a tender port when used.

Same with Playa del Carman / Calica. Only Fantasy class or smaller can dock there. No one is interested in Vera Cruz either.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
Admiral

I was at Anguilla this past year on S/V Caledonia. It was a great day and I hope to return someday.
No cruise ship docks but plenty of small craft.
Sometimes these less traveled islands offer some of the best vacations.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Scurvy, there is a great book, called A Trip to The Beach, about a couple from Vermont, who moved to Anguilla, and opened a restaurant there, called Blanchards..a fabulous read.....In it, I could have sworn they said a small cruise ship, called there,but I guess I will just have to read it again !!

Last edited by Trip; April 3rd, 2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:13 PM
Admiral

If a cruiseline drops a port I'm sure it has to do with crime against tourists, local political unrest, etc ... they wouldn't want to risk the safety of their passengers.

If people want to go somewhere that is not a port, they can do so on their own by flying there, at their own risk.

I will trust this is the reason.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Scurvy, there is a great book, called A Trip to The Beach, about a couple from Vermont, who moved to Anguilla, and opened a restaurant there, called Blanchards..a fabulous read.....In it, I could have sworn they said a small cruise ship, called there,but I guess I will just have to read it again to read it again....
That sounds like something I would love to read. (Bonus: our library has it in the stacks).
Old April 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Kim, let me know if you would like a list I have of books set on cruise ships..if so, I will post it again.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Scurvy, there is a great book, called A Trip to The Beach, about a couple from Vermont, who moved to Anguilla, and opened a restaurant there, called Blanchards..a fabulous read.....In it, I could have sworn they said a small cruise ship, called there,but I guess I will just have to read it again to read it again....
Quite possible they do have a small ship call occasionally. I did not see any docks but possibly in another area of the island or perhaps they tendered in as we did.
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I once had a port call in St. Vincent's, it eas awful, no wonder they stopped that port...Sometimes there are reasons for no longer visiting ports, have no idea what the reason was for this stop to no longer be on an itinary..

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Kim, let me know if you would like a list I have of books set on cruise ships..if so, I will post it again.
I would love to see the list.

I wish they would go back to Martinque.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Funny how we all see things differently. Donna apparently didn't like St. Vincent. We were there once and I have to consider it as one of the best ports we ever called on. It's not overly developed, It's lush and green and very beautiful. One of the few remaining Caribbean islands with a population of true Caribe Indians.
We had one of the best shore tours there we were ever on. We had a van with 4 other people, a driver and guide. A man from England was on the tour--he had a bottle of high octane white Rum. We had the driver stop and get some mixin's for the fixin's and proceeded to have a merry time. Even the guide got happy with us. We toured the island in style and I remember every other word from the tour guide was " Yep"--it was soccer season and she invited us all to her house and extended families picnic but of course we weren't able to go.
I'd love to go back there again!
Re/ St. Croix, If I understand it correctly, crime got to be a problem there and the ships quit calling because of that. Having been there, I wouldn't want to go back--maybe the next guy would.
But, that's what makes the world go round--different opinions and views.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
First Mate

Quote:
I would love such a list! Thanks!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
Admiral

We sailed to Martinique just a couple of years ago, and frankly, I didn't care if I ever went back. The people were really, really difficult to get along with. They demanded money for EVERYTHING, including information. Very snobbish, and standoffish. (If that's really a word.) Perhaps we just hit that port on a "bad day", but you can keep that one as far as I'm concerned.

"SKY"
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've heard that a lot about Martinique, wonder if that has something to do with ships not stopping there anymore? ITs usually an economic thing, makes you wonder?

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Pocono Pug

Im glad that ships dont go to Martinique. I was there on RCCL Monarch of the Seas and it was the worst port ive ever been to. It was like pulling into the worst ghetto you could ever imagine. The people were nasty and rude.

Monarch of the Seas 3-92
Celebrity Century 7-96
Dawn Princess 2-97
Enchantment of the Seas 11-98
Rhapsody of the Seas 8-99
CCL Inspiration 8-08, 8-11
CCL Valor 1-09
CCL Glory 11-09
Old April 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Admiral

I guess I'm the oddball. I've been to Martinique several times and never had a problem. It's a beautiful island with lots of greenery, beaches, etc.
The main town is Fort de France and from where the ships dock it's only a short walk to town.Once we took a ferry from town across the bay to a beach area called Les Trois Ilets. There were nice hotels, restaurants, beaches, etc.The Ferry ride wasn't long and reasonably priced.
Another time there was an American Naval Warship on call there. We had lunch at a waterfront restaurant / bar in town and there were several sailors there. We talked with some of them. They were happy to see and talk to some fellow Americans.
To enjoy Martinique is like a lot of the other places--you have to get out and about to really see the place. It's full of history--Napoleon's wife Josephine was born there--St. Pierre, formerly called the Paris of the west was the main town until 1902 when Mt. Pele erupted and in a matter of minutes had killed almost 30,000 people. The only survivor was the town drunk who had been arrested the day before and was in an underground jail cell. It's an interesting place which still shows the damages, has a museum with many artifacts form the town that were damaged, including a partially melted church bell.

The Caribe Indians called it the " Isle of Flowers," which to me is pretty accurate.
Worst and funniest thing that ever happened to me on Martinique was this-- I was in a restaurant / bar and had to go to the bathroom. I asked the bartender where the bath was--he pointed to a door--I didn't know it was a bathroom for both sexes--I walked over, opened the door and a French lady was just raising up from the commode with her pants down about her shins---I got a full shot of everything she had !! She said something and I backed out and shut the door. In a minute she came out and gave me a mean look--I pointed to the lock on the door and told her (in my English ) she should have locked the door !!
She went back to her table and apparently told her hubby/boy friend or
whomever it was and he gave me a dirty look but I couldn't help it-- She should have locked the door. But, I got a minds eye photo of her with her pants down. I still remember exactly what she looked like. Maybe that's why I like Martinique !!

Last edited by Ron; April 4th, 2010 at 05:15 PM.