CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Best Sunscreen (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/373173-best-sunscreen.html)

Julia2011 April 12th, 2010 09:57 AM

Best Sunscreen

I was looking for some advice on which type of sunscreen to buy. We seem to burn badly every time we travel. Is there a sunscreen that really protects the face? I know wear a hat and cover the shoulders but while swimming and snorkling. thanks in advance for any tips.

Donna April 12th, 2010 10:16 AM

Hi Julia,
I always start out with the highest number on the sunscreen, best way to avoid that awful burn. They do sell different ones just for the face, but I'm not sure you'd really need that, as long as you have a high SPF number right away. I've gone to a tanning spa about 2 weeks before, just to get a base tan started to NOT get the burn, it does seem to help, and its only 5 minutes at first, then 10 minutes twice before going...

Hope you don't burn and can enjoy the cruise, happy sailing.

Trip April 12th, 2010 11:40 AM

I need to second, buying the highest spf, taking the most procaution. And even on overcast days, you need the extra protection.

Mike M April 12th, 2010 12:07 PM

A few things to remember when you use sunscreen are:

• Put it on at least 30 minutes before you go out. Sunscreen will not work well until it is absorbed into the skin. This is the number one mistake people make. They will wait until they are laying on the beach to put on the sunscreen.
  • Use the highest SPF rating you can find. SPF 50 is good for fair skinned people.
  • Reapply often. Perspiration, swimming and time remove sunscreen.
    Use a waterproof sunscreen if you will be near water and reapply after swimming.
The SPF rating is based on how much "added" protection it will give the "average" person. A SPF 15 means that if you burn in 10 minutes you will achieve the same burn in 150 minutes. It doesn't mean it will stop you from burning. A SPF of 50 means you will burn in 500 minutes. (Around eight hours) However, it will have worn off long before eight hours and should have been reapplied.

Take care,
Mike

Lakers Fan April 12th, 2010 01:09 PM

I have to stay out of the sun a lot because in 2007 I was diagnosed with skin cancer . My doctor recommends for everyone :Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock 55 SPF .He advised that this be used every day of the year

lovepea April 12th, 2010 02:29 PM

I have used a brand called Bullfrog when I will be swimming or otherwise doing something active that may cause normal sunscreen to be washed away or sweated off. The gel-type seems to last very well and comes in higher SPF numbers. I would make sure to find some that says sport or for swimming, if you plan to be in the water.

The other posters made good points too. I am very fair skinned and tend to burn very quickly, so I know that a sunburn can seriously ruin a vacation :(

Julia2011 April 12th, 2010 05:57 PM

Thanks everyone! This message board is awesome for information. My son and I have very fair skin and we even burnt our lips. Ouch!! I have seen sunblock for the lips and this time, I will put lots on. Looking forward to the Caribbean sun covered in sunblock this time round. :)

rollerdonna April 13th, 2010 08:04 AM

In addition to high numbered sunscreen, I usually wear a T-shirt in the water since my back burns the worst. Cover up, protect, and enjoy your cruise!

donna

chatterbox April 13th, 2010 08:22 AM

I am thinking of going to a tanning salon before I cruise as well. I don't usually go tanning, but I think a bad burn would do more damage to my skin then a few tanning sessions. Other than that I think I have heard you should use an spf of 30.

billt April 15th, 2010 07:59 PM

as far as spf's, use what your skin needs. I do prefer the spray on sunscreen .