CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Port Side of Ship (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/373398-port-side-ship.html)

akers123 April 21st, 2010 09:33 PM

Port Side of Ship

How do you know if your side of the boat is port side?

Grand Turk and Freeport. My room is on the right side of the boat if you looking from the back of the boat to the front.

88 More days until the Pride but who's counting!!:p

jlauntz April 21st, 2010 11:44 PM

The " port" side of a SHIP, not boat, is the left hand side facing foward. However the ship will not always tie up to the pier with the port side next to the pier. In St. Thomas for example, the ships I have been on always tied up with the "starboard" side next to the pier.

Mike M April 22nd, 2010 12:02 AM

The side of the ship that will face the port can change between cruises. It depends on what time the ship arrives and which berth they are assigned. It really makes no difference if your cabin is on the left (port) or starboard (right).

In regard to terminology. Port is the left side of the ship when facing the bow. Starboard is the right side of ship when facing the bow. The stern is the back of the ship. Forward is toward the front and aft is toward the back. The bow is the front of the ship.

Have a great cruise.
Mike

akers123 April 22nd, 2010 06:35 AM

Thanks for the correct terms. I am new to all the "LINGO" so please forgive me. Thanks for the responses!

green_rd April 22nd, 2010 08:33 AM

You can call it a boat if you want to - just not to the captain :)

granny of the seas April 22nd, 2010 09:42 AM

Easiest way to remember. Port has 4 letters and LEFT has 4 letters, so you will never be confused. If you are on the back of the ship, then the Port side would be to your left.

Leyla from Long Island

dhudd April 22nd, 2010 01:16 PM

Normally the port, (left side), of the ship, the cabin numbers will be even numbers. On the Starboard, (right side), of the ship your cabin numbers will usually be odd numbers. From my Navy days...the only boats are lifeboats, small boats and submarines...but we use to call submarines targets. (My Destroyer days).
We almost always reserve a port side balcony stateroom. I normally can take the best photographs from that side.

ttam April 26th, 2010 08:28 PM

Side of the BOAT

Just remember you can put a Boat on a ship but not a Ship on a boat
just a few words of wisdom
boBroflrofl:roll:

WeaponsHot February 1st, 2014 11:55 AM

From an Air Force Perspective its a Boat!

cruise planner February 1st, 2014 01:16 PM

Whether you'll be better on port or starboard is all relative to the particular port you're in. Some ports you may always tie up on one side or the other, while other ports it changes all the time, and yet other ports you're tendered. Plus, on your particular cruise, port side could be 'best' in one port and starboard side could be 'best' in another port.

As I always tell people when they demand the starboard side when doing an Alaskan cruise because they want to see the scenery, while you're on your balcony watching that, you may be missing the whales on the other side of the ship.

Whenever arriving into or departing port, it's always best to be outside up on the highest deck so you can walk from one side to the other to take pictures because it always changes. And if you're on your balcony, you're missing half of it. Plus, the sun moves and what was a bad picture in the morning while you were coming it, may be a spectacular picture in the evening while you're going out.

Besides, most people want to be in port walking around, seeing the sites, going to the beach, or taking excursions, so it's not like you plan to spend all day on your balcony while in port. And if you do, you may be in the sun or shade all day, which may or may not be what you want.

So the only hard and fast rule is about which side of the ship is best.... there is no hard and fast rule.

Pete

zydecocruiser February 1st, 2014 04:12 PM

Some boats have smoking sections on the port side, others on the starboard.