Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:31 PM
david30101

Default Self Assist

I think after witness of my last cruise. The Self Assist luggage program should only be limited to 1-2 bags per person.....I was behind a couple that were carrying 5 bags thinking they can get off ship faster by carrying all their bags..Only to drop them every few feet holding up the entire line...PEOPLE..If you cant carry your bags all at once without dropping them,..Have them checked off ship..Ok thats the only gripe I got..
Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM
First Mate

Hi David,

I've seen that a few times - I wonder why people do it? It looks near impossible!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
I think after witness of my last cruise. The Self Assist luggage program should only be limited to 1-2 bags per person.....I was behind a couple that were carrying 5 bags thinking they can get off ship faster by carrying all their bags..Only to drop them every few feet holding up the entire line...PEOPLE..If you cant carry your bags all at once without dropping them,..Have them checked off ship..Ok thats the only gripe I got..

I agree 100 percent. If you can't do it don't try.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM
First Mate

We see that on every cruise. They screw up everybody.
Old April 25th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Admiral

I know this isn't the gripes board and I'm not griping--just making known a few things I've seen, including last week.
Yes, people try ( for reasons known only to them ) to carry everything and anything both on and off the ship. In my opinion the self debarkation should be limited to one piece per person and if someone has more--tough--go back and sit and wait. Worst thing that was ever started on cruises is the fiasco of self debarkation.
Last year at Port Canaveral some guy has a huge suitcase that he tried to carry on--the Carnival people stopped him and told him he would have to check it--he argued with them--somehow--and I don't know how he did it, he ended up in front of us at the security checkpoint and guess what--no matter which way he turned the damn thing, it wouldn't go through the conveyor. He persisted on trying until finally someone had the backbone to turn into a drill Sargent type for a minute and sent him packing with the bag back to check it in.
Last week we were on the Mariner.The first Port, Cabo San Lucas is a tender port. We waited for a while, thinking most of the crowd would be off---wrong-- it was backed up 2-3 decks. Finally when we got to the security checkpoint where you have you seapass card dinged, some guy that was with 5-6 other people discovered he had left his card in his cabin--he had to fight his way back through the crowd--his companions to say the least were p.o'd big time. They went on without him--guess they found him later. Then coming back through the check point to get to the ship someone didn't have a photo I.D.--only a seapass card.
Some of these folks makes you wonder how they actually function in the world, earn a living, etc. But, that's cruising --always something interesting and entertaining to watch !!;-) ;-)
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:39 AM
david30101

Yea, Im not here to open a can of worms..lol..Just thought id bring it up, thats all. I did see a "suitcase gauge" like at the airport sitting in the check in area where if the bag dosent fit inside, it needs to be checked. When I check in on a cruise, I normally check my bag and just carry on a smaller duffle type bag with all the valubles, etc. I dont like dragging a suitcase around if i dont have to. Getting off ship I do carry everything off. My bag is med sized with wheels and i can also strap my carry on bag to it which give me a free hand and tows easyly behind me. I travel light..I cant belive what people take for a 5 day cruise..
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
First Mate

Not that this has anything to do with self assist, but toting luggage in general. I have also seen people who walk on the ship with every bag they have. Are they afraid their bags won't make it onto the ship from the curb? They don't trust the long-shore men? They end up lugging all the bags around until the cabins open up. I say - ditch most of your bags (I carry a small tote with my camera, etc) at the curb and enjoy yourself once you are on the ship - don't worry, your bags WILL make it on.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In my entire cruisng life, I never even thought of doing this, but in Galveston, with a very long ride to the airport, & with the only flight that made any sense...we really needed to do this...We had 2 large bags, and two carryons, which we tried to piggy back to make it easier...

Given the ramps and the length you have to shlep...there is no way anyone but the younger and stronger, with less luggage, should do this....NEVER again, and I mean it!

But my one piece of avice to those who may find themselves behind someone struggling is, to have a bit of patience, and remember, they could be your parents, or grandparents, having a tough go of it..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 26th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
But my one piece of advice to those who may find themselves behind someone struggling is, to have a bit of patience, and remember, they could be your parents, or grandparents, having a tough go of it..
Trip:

If it was my parents I would feel free saying: "Why the hell are you lugging that stuff off?" They would have had a bit more sense than doing something they knew would be too hard for them or would inconvenience others.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
david30101

I dont even know why I started this topic....The people that NEED to read this arent here to read it anyhow...
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Well, firstly, we did think we could do it till we got to the terminal, and THE Dreaded Ramp! Since we didn't have an option in this scenario, we did what we needed to do, and actually stayed to one side of the ramp, so people like you wouldn't yell...........

Old April 26th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Admiral

David....Oh well!

Old April 26th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
I dont even know why I started this topic....The people that NEED to read this arent here to read it anyhow...
It's like "preaching to the choir" isn't it? I see lot's of post's like this. We can only hope that people who don't post, will still read and learn something .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old April 26th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Admiral

It may be true that the folks that need this info. and could use it don't read this board. Probably so but if it gets to just one or two, it's worth it.

Re / seeing people packing everything they own when they go on a cruise, it always pops in my mind that they apparently were never in the Army. I carried enough stuff when I was there to do me forever-- I never carry more than I have to and then try to dump some of that! ;-) ;-)
Old April 27th, 2010, 10:54 AM
First Mate

We have one mid-size suitcase between us as we insist on traveling light. But I will NEVER do self-assist again. We were delayed well over an hour (standing all the while) the other day. We could have been having a leisurely 2nd breakfast in the dining room!

Next cruise, after finishing my eggs benedict, I'll step out on the atrium balcony, peer down, and watch the Ellis Island crowd.
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Trip: They have improved the ramps in Galveston, but it's still a nice walk especially in Terminal 2. They have also started TRYING to restrict those with more than one bag in Galveston and that has improved it 100%.

I have always done self in Galveston and rarely have any problems. It was great at first, no one used it, then everyone started and they had to get more restrictive and have two self assist times. At least they are trying!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:07 PM
david30101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Well, firstly, we did think we could do it till we got to the terminal, and THE Dreaded Ramp! Since we didn't have an option in this scenario, we did what we needed to do, and actually stayed to one side of the ramp, so people like you wouldn't yell...........
Im not the one to yell..I just "roll my eyes" and deal with with it..Once I get home..You see my comments here....Im a very calm person..Except the couple in front of me..NEVER did move to the side or let anybody around them..They couldnt..TO MANY bags. BTW..When leaving the ship..all the ramps went DOWN HILL..which should make it easyer to carry bags. Nobody seems to have a problem getting ON the ship. (up hill).
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Beginner

Default good advice

Juggling 2 kids should be enough- I don't want to juggle luggage too!
Old April 27th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Admiral

David, I really do understand, it is a bit a of crazy when you see people with tons of bags..we saw it in the theater, where we all had to sit and wait..and that's another reason I would never do it again...

We would have been fine, as I said, but for that ramp...manageable luggage and youth, make for a good combination...

Since I have only done it once, and will not again, based on the way it was on my cruise, they really need to figure out a better way to gather the troops, and offload...Ihope thay have...