Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Familiar Face

Default Why does Royal Caribbean cost so much more than Carnival

I was just wondering why the big price difference when you sail on Royal Caribbean? I have only been on Carnival Cruises and loved them. I have been trying to plan another cruise for 2012 and have been looking into all options. Both cruise lines seem great but Carnival is a way better deal. Just wondering is all.
Carnival 2012 hmmmm not sure yet!

Read and post cruise reviews

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

because carnival is a very value oriented cruise line.

Carnival has been using the same basic design for almost all of their new ships for 15 years now. They make them a little bigger now, nut they really don't innovate.

Royal Caribbean builds vastly new and different ships all the time.

If you want to find a "newish" Royal Caribbean ship similar to Carnival in size and price then look at the Voyager class:

Voyager, Navigator, Mariner (a real bargain now), Explorer and Adventure.

For a newer and improved product look to the Freedom class (Freedon, Liberty and Independence), but for the best on new ships look at oasis and Allure.

You will see the prices go generally higher as you go up the scale I just gave you.

There are smaller but newer RCL ships people like a lot - the Radiance class: Radiance, Brilliance, Jewel and Serenade.

Personally, I rarely recommend the older RCL ships although some people do like them.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Admiral

It isn't always an apples to apples comparison. For example RCI charges more for cruises aboard Oasis Of The Seas and the Freedom class ships because they have much more "stuff" to offer - and I mean the wow factor stuff like the ice rink, flowriders, rock climbing walls, inline skating, etc. It appeals to families who want a lot of variety. People are willing to pay for it, which is a bottom line answer - RCI charges more because they can do so and still sail full because of their innovative ships. I also think the typical Royal Caribbean customer views that line as being upscale as compared to Carnival, which is at least debatable.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Familiar Face

I have to agree with the apples to apples theory, Cruised both lines and due to the fact that my wife and I don't do the extras, (flowrider, rockwall, ice skating, etc.) we feel it's not worth the extra cost. If you participate in those extra things then maybe it's worth it. Cruising to us is just taking the time to be waited on, pampered, and just relax. Cruising can be very relaxing or very stressful, depending on your personal level of activities. For us it's more relaxing, and shopping in the ports. Every now and then we'll do an excursion if we haven't already done it, but usually just get off the ship and walk around the shops and admire the surroundings. We can do this on the price of Carnival, so that's what we do. Rick

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel

RC had to borrow quite a lot of money to build the two behemoths of the Seas known as Oasis and Allure. I remember reading 4 billion dollars. Well, that is a lot of money and they need a return on investment, so increase the fares of the sailings to cover the costs of those two monsters...

Carnival has it right, they build ships that passengers like and it shows because ever cruise I have been on the ship is over full double capacity or near max capacity!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
First Mate

I just can't justify in my mind paying $800 more for a Ice skateing show with RCI. That was the difference going on a BtoB with Carnival and RCI. To each ther own what they want in a ship. No need to throw money away to say I was on a big ship.
Old May 4th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Administrator
Admiral

There are all kinds of cruise lines at all kinds of price levels.

Carnival is a surprisingly good cruise line in terms of food, service, entertainment and accomodation, for the money. It is a value leader.

But by the same token, I personally feel much more involved with the ship when I am on Royal Caribbean. I love seeing all the activities going on even if I am only a spectator. I like that kind of fun more than the Carnival brand of fun - but that is very personal thing and I may be in the minority in that opinion.

I don't really care to interact with my waiters, doing conga lines and pool games, etc. But I do like watching people zip line or flo-ride.

I also like the classic atmosphere on Princess and Holland America, and I think the Solstice ships are beautiful.

On Cunard I feel at home because of the ocean liner traditions onboard.

Every cruise line is different, and while food and pampering are important, there is a lot more to the experience. It is a personal style thing and everyone likes different things in different ways.
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Admiral

It seems to me that each cruiseline must know what their cruises are worth.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 8th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

I don't really care to interact with my waiters, doing conga lines and pool games, etc. But I do like watching people zip line or flo-ride.

Paul, the conga line is fun after you have a couple drinks.
I did my first zip line on the Oasis OTS, now I will have to try it on land.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 8th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
It seems to me that each cruiseline must know what their cruises are worth.

TM
Close,,,but in my opinion, each cruise line knows HOW MUCH they can squeeze out of their passengers!
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Each cruise line knows what they have to charge to make a profit and be competitive. Cruising is highly competitive and pricing is a science in the cruise industry. That is one reason why cruising is really a relative bargain.

In this economy each cruise line is trying to charge as much as possible and still fill their ships, but the goal of filling ships is limited if it means too much price erosion. They would rather keep the price at a certain level than drop it just to fill the last 2% of cabins.

Bottom line - right now cruising is stiull a relative vacation bargain. You are still paying about the same for a 7-day cruise today as you did back in 1975.
Old May 8th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

In this economy each cruise line is trying to charge as much as possible and still fill their ships .
My point EXACTLY!

"SKY"
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:33 PM
First Mate

I disagree with Royal Costing more. I've actually paid the same or less of Royal for what "I" consider to be a more entertaining ship. I cruised the RCCL Mariner for 7 Night Cruise for $700, I'm not sure you can cruise a Carnvial ship that has the entertainment value of the Mariner for that price.
RCCL Freedom : April 2012
CCL Destiny : April 2011
CCL Valor : September 2010
CCL Victory : March 2010
RCCL Adventure : September 2009
RCCL Monarch : March 2009
RCCL Mariner : September 2008
CCL Liberty : March 2008
CCL Valor : July 2007
CCL Celebration : March 2007
CCL Elation : March 2006
CCL Fantasy : October 2005
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Captain

I've cruised on both lines....plus others. RC thinks they are a better cruiseline than Carnival. I like both lines.......but I don't think RC is any better than Carnival. I've had a great time on each line. I'll continue to check prices and itenaries and book accordingly.
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Admiral

Carnival has a business model that works and Carnival is the best value in mass market cruising. By keeping as much as possible common between ships, they have a huge advantage due to economies of scale.

Carnival's costs are lower, plain and simple. They can afford to sell for less.

Yes, sometime RCCL's prices are competitive or occasionally less, but that is in select markets and cruises - an aberration.

Personally, I don't believe in subsidizing gimmicks and/or shopping malls.

All of the mass market cruise lines outsource some operations. Typically the contracts depend on the ships sailing with a certain occupancy - if they don't meet that requirement, the cruise line may have to rebate some money, so there is an incentive to fill the ship.
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:51 PM
First Mate

Because people continue to pay it. If we didn't go on their ships you can bet the price would come down. In my book they aren't worth the extra.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"
Old May 13th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Beginner

Guys, I'm new here. I've been on cruise; rccl, princess, and carnival before. I think RCCL is great cruise for caribbean, but not great for Alaska. I wondering if it would be selling better if freedom of sea sailed across ocean from ny to england? and still have lot of ton funs!
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Admiral

One thing I know RCCL has that Carnival doesn't (yet), is an announced crossing from Barcelona to New Orleans! Voyager of the Seas, 13 days, Oct 30th, 2011. Who Dat!
Old May 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Familiar Face

For now I will most likely stick with Carnival, why fix something that isn't broken. Now if only I could live closer to the cruise ports..lol
Carnival 2012 hmmmm not sure yet!

Old May 20th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Beginner

Well I am not too sure about the cost being more on RC vs. Carnival out of the west coast.

I booked three weeks ago the RC Mariner of the Seas over the Carnival Splendor with the cost being equal. The choice of the Mariner was a easy one since we did the Pride out of Long Beach three years ago and had a very good time, but the ship did not have that "wow" factor that we got from the Voyager years back. Even tho that the Splendor is a newer ship, I would expect the Mariner to be much more of a ship.

Now the cost out of Florida is a difference with Carnival being cheaper on a seven day cruise. I had just about settled on a seven day Carnival out of Tampa on the Legend, but air travel for three out of AZ added up to much.
Old May 21st, 2010, 01:08 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Paul, the conga line is fun after you have a couple drinks.
I did my first zip line on the Oasis OTS, now I will have to try it on land.

TM
We have a zip line in the woods behind our house, and a rock wall on second avenue in the tourist district. However, we are going on Freedom of the Seas' "post-Bud" 4-day in November so DW's twin sister can see one of the Wow-ships. After that, we will most likely be fun-shippers until we die. If I don't feel old enough for HAL yet at 67, I probably never will.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have enjoyed all of my cruises on Carnival. If you like to hang out at the pool, sunbathe, drink, gamble, and go to very loud clubs in the evening then there is plenty to do. The shows have been for the most part very good too.
But at night there are times when I would like to go to a nice jazz club and sit and listen but every place is so LOUD. I can not take the noise so we walk around and sometimes sit in the atrium, if there is one, and listen and sometimes dance but there isn't much of that.
The Carnival cruises are easy and very,very casual. And that's ok. Some of the trips are cheap enough that people just wanting a rowdy quick trip take them which can make for a very noisy cruise all the way around. I've noticed that on some of these smaller and cheaper trips it can get very crowded on Lido and at the pool areas and the crowds can be pushy and ill mannered. I don't think you get that so much on the larger and longer trips.
I think you have to cruise a few times on different size and length of cruise trips to really find out what you prefer.
I have to say though that I have never had any problems other than a few rude people, who as one lady told a girl who had moved her chair into an aisle and caused everyone to have to take turns in the only aisle left plus trying to avoid the people getting drinks to sit where she wanted it was her cruise. You don't have to be young to have no manners.
We are taking the RCL Oasis on Saturday. We haven't been on a ship that large. It looks as though one should be able to hire a guide. But we shall see how we like it. It doesn't look as though we will be bored.
Carnival Dream-Oct 2010-Eastern Caribbean
RCL Oasis-May 2010-Western Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy-April 2010-Mexico
HAL Ryndam-Sept 2009-Alaska
Carnival Holiday-May 2009-Cozumel
Carnival Celebration-April 2008-Key West, Nassau
Carnival Liberty-May 2007-Panama Canal
Carnival Miracle-Apr 2006 (1st for DH)- Mexico, Belize
Carnival Holiday-Feb 2005-Mexico
Carnival Fascination-Dec 2000-Nassau