Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Carnival Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Beginner

Default Autism "necessities"

I will be cruising in Oct on the Carnival Freedom with a group of 10 including my 18yr old son with Aspergers. this is our second cruise and on the first my power strip was never questioned. My son has no "medical" equipment but It is absolutely necessary that he have a specific nite-lite, clock and chargers for his I-pod (used to block out stimuli) and dsi game. Do you think I can still get away with marking the powerstrip as "medical"? should I get a note from his Dr. asking for this accomodation? And how do I make sure the room attendant does not unplug his items, causing him a great deal of distress?
Sponsored Links
Old May 5th, 2010, 09:36 PM
First Mate

Default Let them know

The strip in basically needed for support of yopur child.Notify the cruise lines and get a note fron your DR.
should be no problem.
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Captain

I'd just bring along a note from the Dr. You won't have to worry about the room steward unplugging anything that has never happened in all of our cruises. I don't think the room stewards are really agressively enforcing the rules about power bars, etc anyway. It is not in the best interest of the room steward to have to be a rule enforcer, because as we all know some people would hold it against them and it would affect their tips.
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:26 PM
First Mate

I would think there are enough plugs in the rooms .
thanks
sammy

Last edited by Sammy1954; May 6th, 2010 at 03:32 PM. Reason: made a mistake...
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:29 PM
First Mate

There should be enough plugs in the room not to worry.
you can ask carnival about that. that way you dont have to break
the rules and risk a fire.
I have had several things that needed plugged in and always have
had enough places to plug things in.
sammy
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:29 PM
First Mate

[QUOTE=Sammy1954;1290373] plugs in the room beside the beds, across by the tv in the bathroom...
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisnme View Post
I will be cruising in Oct on the Carnival Freedom with a group of 10 including my 18yr old son with Aspergers. this is our second cruise and on the first my power strip was never questioned. My son has no "medical" equipment but It is absolutely necessary that he have a specific nite-lite, clock and chargers for his I-pod (used to block out stimuli) and dsi game. Do you think I can still get away with marking the powerstrip as "medical"? should I get a note from his Dr. asking for this accomodation? And how do I make sure the room attendant does not unplug his items, causing him a great deal of distress?
We have cruised with our 18 year old with AS ...34 times on Carnival and have found them to be very accommodating.

I would email specialneeds@carnival.com and let them know that you have this special situation.

Once you get permission in writing...TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!!

Most cabin stewards are great to work it...however, do not hesitate to get the Hotel Director involved if you have any issues....

If it is Carnival and it floats....we have sailed it!

Hubby ... DIAMOND (every ship except the Carnivale)
Me ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale)
20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
24 year old son ... DIAMOND
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Beginner

Oh, I had read that most cabins only had 1 outlet, when we were on Sensation that was the case. Thanks. also on that first cruise we were given little help with DS at all. muster drill was a nightmare, dining table was in the middle of the room (huge anxiety issue) no activities in kids club for him. He still had a good time, but after reading these boards (and posts from DJ's Mom) I now know some things to ask about.

Last edited by krisnme; May 6th, 2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: adding
Old May 6th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sound advice for sure, and the power trip will accomodate the lack of outlets, for all your sons needs. Ans just a bit more reassurance, in all my cruises,Ii have never Had a cabin steward unplug anything on the desk area...A few words when he introfuces himself, will calm your fears..I hope you all have a ball.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 6th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Oh, I had read that most cabins only had 1 outlet, when we were on Sensation that was the case. Thanks. also on that first cruise we were given little help with DS at all. muster drill was a nightmare, dining table was in the middle of the room (huge anxiety issue) no activities in kids club for him. He still had a good time, but after reading these boards (and posts from DJ's Mom) I now know some things to ask about.
Also... I don't know if you have a TA that you already know and love...but Mike with Autism on the Seas does a marvelous job assisting parents of kids with Autism.

Yes, he is a TA.....but he contacts the cruise lines for you to get things like VIP Check In, assistance with Muster Drills, Dining times,etc without costing you anything. He just makes the usual TA fee.

We have not used him yet, since we already had Carnival figured out by the time I found him...but folks that I have read rave about him.

Mike also arranges "group cruises"...but you do not have to be on a group cruise to get this assistance.

We are planning to use him next summer when we go on Princess...since our Carnival PVP can't book that one for us.

If you do already have a TA that you love...please do not hesitate to ask for what you need. They have always been wonderful with DJ.

Over the past 10+ years, it has been a "work in progress" to get DJ as comfortable as he is today...but well worth the effort!!

LHP (also Mom of DJ)

20 year old son ... DIAMOND (every ship starting with the Tropicale...he is the only DOUBLE Milestone under the age of 21)
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhp View Post
Also... I don't know if you have a TA that you already know and love...but Mike with Autism on the Seas does a marvelous job assisting parents of kids with Autism.

Yes, he is a TA.....but he contacts the cruise lines for you to get things like VIP Check In, assistance with Muster Drills, Dining times,etc without costing you anything. He just makes the usual TA fee.

We have not used him yet, since we already had Carnival figured out by the time I found him...but folks that I have read rave about him.

Mike also arranges "group cruises"...but you do not have to be on a group cruise to get this assistance.

We are planning to use him next summer when we go on Princess...since our Carnival PVP can't book that one for us.

If you do already have a TA that you love...please do not hesitate to ask for what you need. They have always been wonderful with DJ.

Over the past 10+ years, it has been a "work in progress" to get DJ as comfortable as he is today...but well worth the effort!!

LHP (also Mom of DJ)
LPH (I knew you were DJ's mom!) I don't have a trusted TA yet as this is only our second cruise and I went into the first totally blind. Now I read every board I can find and feel much more prepared. I hope someday to feel as relaxed about it as you are. I wish our kids could get together, DJ could probably teach Kris a thing or two about cruising! I will make sure that this cruise I am much "louder" about his special needs, He is very high functioning so most people don't realise he has issues until they spend time with him. Actually he has mild CP and is in a wheelchair part-time and that draws peoples attention and help more than anything, I sometimes put him in the chair when I know it will be crazy and he puts on his I-pod and coccoons himself. Thanks, and maybe we will meet on a cruise someday!
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Captain

[QUOTE=Sammy1954;1290375]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy1954 View Post
plugs in the room beside the beds, across by the tv in the bathroom...
We just got back from the Glory and I can say that we had only two plugs in the cabin plus the one in the bathroom for razors. The side lamp plugs by the bed were not accessible. We did have extra plugs I think on the Paradise where we could plug things in by the head of our beds too but for the most part we have had 2 outlets in our cabins, that's it. We had our teenager with us this time and had some frustrations when her laptop, cellphone, radio, etc could not all be plugged in at the same time!!!
Carrnival Victory 2004, Carnival Valor 2005, Carnival Fantasy 2006, Carnival Fascination 2006, Carnival Destiny 2007
Carnival Sensation 2007. Carnival Fascination 2007 Carnival Triumph 2008, Carnival Fascination 2008, MSC Orchestra 2008, Carnival Fascination 2009, Carnival Glory 2010

Waiting for the Carnival Imagination June 28,2010
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Can you not just bring several power strips to aleviate the problem? We generally bring at least 1 power strip and that fills the bill.

Salty's Mom
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper's Mom View Post
Can you not just bring several power strips to aleviate the problem? We generally bring at least 1 power strip and that fills the bill.

Salty's Mom
The problem is that Carnival is now not allowing (and confiscating) power strips unless they're "medically necessary". This is usually for people who use C-Pap's while sleeping. We all know that there are many other situations when a power strip or an extension cord would be "medically necessary" (see the OP's post), but unless you have a letter from your doctor you may be out of luck .

I'd suggest that anyone who needs either of these items get a letter from their doctor and pre-register for the medical "stuff". I know, I don't think it's any of their business, but if you want to use a power strip or an extension cord you have to let them know :o !

It's not right, but sometimes you just have to "go with the flow".

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
LPH (I knew you were DJ's mom!) I don't have a trusted TA yet as this is only our second cruise and I went into the first totally blind. Now I read every board I can find and feel much more prepared. I hope someday to feel as relaxed about it as you are. I wish our kids could get together, DJ could probably teach Kris a thing or two about cruising! I will make sure that this cruise I am much "louder" about his special needs, He is very high functioning so most people don't realise he has issues until they spend time with him. Actually he has mild CP and is in a wheelchair part-time and that draws peoples attention and help more than anything, I sometimes put him in the chair when I know it will be crazy and he puts on his I-pod and coccoons himself. Thanks, and maybe we will meet on a cruise someday!
Kris sounds so much like DJ. When folks first see DJ, they can sense something is different, but they just can't put their finger on it.

He also has Ataxia (so he pounds when he walks)...so while it isn't in a wheelchair...he has muscle issues....which results in him being 6 ft tall and weighing 107 pounds...

I can so relate to the cocooning...(covering his head with his jacket)

We can't wait to use Mike ourselves next summer...but everyone I have read just loves him and the job he does.

You will see on his website that he also does adult group cruises...usually one or two a year. But it is so nice to get this added benefit without having to be on a "specific" group cruise.

There was a need there and Mike seems to be filling it nicely...

We are headed out on a cruise tomorrow....see y'all next week!!