CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Carnival Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/)
-   -   What on board ship tour do you prefer, if any? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/carnival-cruise-lines/373774-what-board-ship-tour-do-you-prefer-if-any.html)

dhudd May 11th, 2010 01:43 PM

What on board ship tour do you prefer, if any?

4 Attachment(s)
On our very first cruise aboard the "Carnival Victory":), ( back in 2000). The ship offered a tour of the "Galley". That was very interesting and how they are able to manufacture all of those meals in just a short time.

When we cruised aboard the Star Princess, (back in 2002), the ship offered several different ship tours. We went on the "Back Stage" tour. That tour was very infomative and amazing. They took us back stage, just before the show and showed us evervthing that was involved in putting on the show. :o

We've been on four other cruises since and none of them have ever offered any ship board tours. We wonder why??? :cry:

Mike M May 11th, 2010 02:17 PM

For quite awhile after 9/11 many lines stopped doing "Behind the scenes" tours but they are coming back.

Carnival seems to be the last to reinstate many of them. I just returned from Celebrity Century and did a backstage tour and a behind the scenes tour that included some crew areas and the bridge. I always enjoy these.

My goal is to get an engine room tour. These are "really" hard to come by.

Take care,
Mike

by_the_board May 11th, 2010 02:45 PM

Last week DW and I did the 'Behind The Fun Tour' on the Liberty which is a 3 1/2 hour guided tour of the ship. It was fun and very interesting. We visited many of the crew only areas, the Bridge, the control room, morgue, jail, crews galley, dinning areas, the main galley, behind the stage, the laundry, ect. Deck 0 is the lifeline of the cruise ship and a wide corridor runs from bow to stern, it's nicknamed I-95.
The tour includes photos at the ships bell located at the bow, photos with the Captain on the bridge, chocolate covered strawberries delivered to your cabin, a hat and tote bag.
If you are a cruise aficionado then this is the tour for you. DW and I really enjoyed ourselves and would highly recommend this tour. It is held @9:30am the last sea day on the Liberty

p.s. you are not able to visit the engine room due to security and safety issues.

luv2vacation63 May 11th, 2010 03:10 PM

The "behind the scene" tours sound great. I would love to do this on our June cruise. Do they cost anything and how do you know if they are offered on your ship, and how did you sign up? We will be on the Pride if this helps.

by_the_board May 11th, 2010 03:18 PM

I signed up immediately upon embarkation at the excursion desk. They do advertise on a sign during the cruise but there are a limited number of tickets available. The cost was $90 @. I would call or email Carnival to determine if the tour is available on other ships.

katlady May 11th, 2010 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2vacation63 (Post 1291146)
The "behind the scene" tours sound great. I would love to do this on our June cruise. Do they cost anything and how do you know if they are offered on your ship, and how did you sign up? We will be on the Pride if this helps.

We wanted to go on the 'Behind The Fun Tour' up until the moment we discovered it was $95 per person.:shock: Sorry it's not worth that much money to me. If it is worth the cost to you. Then you can book this tour at the shore excursion desk once on board the ship.

Ron May 11th, 2010 09:24 PM

Have done the galley tour once because my wife insisted I go with her--my wife has done it a few times with her sister, sister-in-law, etc. I know a little about cooking so I'm not interested in how they feed several thousand-- Saw basically how they did it in the Army so it doesn't hold much interest for me--it's how good it is that matters re/ food.
My favorite tour aboard ship is the bridge tour. Love to be able to stand there and look out over the bow and see all that wide open space-- have sat in the " Captain Kirk " chair once or twice--that feels good, if only for a moment !! :) :)

briguy May 12th, 2010 01:38 PM

As Platinum one of the perks was a galleytour for members only. People snuck into the tour and ruined it because it was so crowded. Not much was going on in the galley other than salad making so all we could see were stainless steel tables and fridges. Pretty lame and boring. My last cruise the tour was no longer offered. Guess Carnival thought it sucked too.

green_rd May 12th, 2010 02:39 PM

The DW works in institutional food and has 0 interest in a galley tour.

katluc May 12th, 2010 04:06 PM

I liked the galley tour. When I went on the one Disney had, we got to see them making wedding cakes..

johnthed0g May 12th, 2010 04:30 PM

On P&O's Arcadia they do what they call the ''A'' factor or something, this involves not a tour but a display of how every thing works, from the toilets (fascinating!) to a simulator that they use in training to "try" to manouver the ship into port (you can pick a port too!)